Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Doherty oil pan in the mail the other day. It is absolutely beautiful. Please believe, my junk pictures do not do this piece justice.

I will have pics of a 1" deeper pan in black shortly.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1) does that extra inch cost you any ground clearance
2) does oil capacity increase?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) does that extra inch cost you any ground clearance
2) does oil capacity increase?
1) Yes it is an inch deeper so it hangs an inch lower.

2) Capacity does increase with the deeper pan if you want it to. Most will still run 5qts in the deeper pan to keep the crank out of the oil.

--- My pan in the pics is stock depth not the deeper one.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
That is too nice looking to hide on the bottom of the bike.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Very nice looking pan.

So how much more oil does this pan hold in order to reach the full mark on the dip stick?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
Being a former CNC machinist, I can certainly appreciate the work put into this beautiful piece of work... :notworth::notworth:

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Very nice looking pan.

So how much more oil does this pan hold in order to reach the full mark on the dip stick?
when you get the extended oil pans, either 1/2 inch or 1 inchers, you put in your five quarts, and then note on your dipstick where you are. That's your new level mark. If you fill it to the full mark, you've put in too much oil. Extended dipsticks would be nice.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Mine came the other day too. I agree this thing is a work of art!!! I also went with standard depth because I'm lowered an inch and have some clearance issues already with speed bumps, etc. I don't need the oil pan being the lowest hanging fruit :D

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
i guess im failing to see the point, a part you cant even see? Whats the advantage?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
i guess im failing to see the point, a part you cant even see? Whats the advantage?
The main advantage of this oil pan is in the bracing that is machined into the pan which will help stiffen up the cases from flexing in the higher horsepowered V Rod engines...

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I just received notice that my black, 1" deeper pan is on the way. :notworth:

I currently run a 1" Destroyer spacer on my 04 turbo B model, street bike and so far it really hasn't been a concern.

If I ever have to trailer it I just raise the air ride higher and it clears the trailer floor at the hinge point as it rolls off the ramp heading into the trailer.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
The main advantage of this oil pan is in the bracing that is machined into the pan which will help stiffen up the cases from flexing in the higher horsepowered V Rod engines...
aah cool!

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
I would say, nothing to do with bracing. The pan is so far from main bearings, thin walls in lower crank case towards the pan and a gasket between the parts.
Getting a crank away from oil was main point to me to go to the 1" deeper pan.
Now I would rather choise ½" deeper pan and use still 1" less oil.
When 1½" lowered front and Arnott rear, there really is not much clearance while driving. Good luck!

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I would say, nothing to do with bracing. The pan is so far from main bearings, thin walls in lower crank case towards the pan and a gasket between the parts.
Getting a crank away from oil was main point to me to go to the 1" deeper pan.
Now I would rather choise ½" deeper pan and use still 1" less oil.
When 1½" lowered front and Arnott rear, there really is not much clearance while driving. Good luck!
I beg to differ. I bought this oil pan because of the extra support it'll offer. Check the specs out below, 5/8" thick walls

How could this be a bad thing?

Item Description:

-Precision CNC Machined from solid billet 6061-T6.
-Pan rail is 5/8 thick and gusseted in all areas.
-When installed will not allow the crankcase area to flex or move.
-Extremely rigid, from computer analysis is 4x stronger than the cast pan.
-Precision fit

.500" deeper pan will give you additional 1/2 quart capacity.
1.0" deeper pan will give you additional 1 quart capacity.

Oil pans will include new mounting fasteners and new magnetic oil drain plug.
------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can tell by reading the description above this oil pan's goal is to increase structural rigidity of the engine case. Avoiding case flex improves bearing alignment in high stress application. Most engine case failures in the past started when the bearing were allowed to move blocking the oil passages therefore starving the main and rod bearings followed by the entire top-end of the engine.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
Agreed Pat - if its only for extra oil then I will keep my $100 destroyer spacer on my BB build.. :deal:

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
i could cook my lasagna in them too.
so the .500" pan would be the way to go if clearance was a concern?

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
I beg to differ. I bought this oil pan because of the extra support it'll offer. Check the specs out below, 5/8" thick walls

How could this be a bad thing?[/B]
It is not a bad thing at all!
I just meant that bottom areas of Revolution's lower crank case are thin like a paper. Real supporting of crank via those = ?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts