Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone has added a Water/Meth injection on their bike before. I figured this might particularly benefit the Turbo and Tourer guys. I have had these systems in a few vehicles, and even built a few at home, but never on a bike. I was thinking about trying it, but wanted to see if anone else had done it.
Anybody???

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
DTHDOC was working on putting one together, not sure if he ever got it finished or not. Last i knew he got really busy and it got put on the back burner.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Bikes have an engine just like any other... don't see why it wouldn't work, but unless you're using it for performance enhancement in conjunction with boost, I don't see how you would package it on the bike to allow adequate storage for use as a mileage booster. I run a 7 gallon tank on my diesel dually, and get a noticeable gain in mileage and power running a 50/50 mix.

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikes have an engine just like any other... don't see why it wouldn't work, but unless you're using it for performance enhancement in conjunction with boost, I don't see how you would package it on the bike to allow adequate storage for use as a mileage booster. I run a 7 gallon tank on my diesel dually, and get a noticeable gain in mileage and power running a 50/50 mix.
I know this is not a diesel forum, but...
Have you got the Snow or Painless setup? Also I assume you are dumping some HEET into the tank to get those ratios. I have a Snow system in my hotrodded Cummins diesel. Swapped out the 7 gallon for a 12 gallon. This system has done great things for the truck. Increased overall economy at least 2 or 3 MPG, added 50 horsepower, and dropped my exhaust temps 200 degrees. Not that they were that high after the compound turbo install:D. Plus, its dirt cheap to fill the reservoir.

I was thinking that since V Rods tend to run towards the lean side [hot, in a gas engine], and don't get great economy that a water/meth system would be a big plus. Not to mention some increased performance numbers. No more chrome pipes turning blue.
Maybe use the frame as a reservoir? I dunno.

These just seem like an obvious bonus.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I'm running a Snow Stg 3+ MPG Max setup. I buy methanol by the drum (last drum I paid $2 a gallon for it!) and cut it in half with dollar store distilled water. What compound setup are you running on your Cummins? I'm having my transmission built before I get home and the next mod down the line will be a compound setup. I'm considering upgrading the stock turbo to a GT4094 setup, but I think I'll most likely wait and use the stock turbo in a compound setup.

I agree that there's bound to be *some* benefit to running the water/meth on a naturally aspirated engine, especially if an overly-lean condition exists, but its hard for me to imagine the benefit would be worth the price of the system compounded with the headache of packaging it all on the bike. Not to mention that if you've already modded the bike, hopefully you've already remapped the fuel curve so that its no longer lean.

Throw all that out the window on a forced induction bike though. I'd love to see what somebody could do on a turbo or blower bike with premium gas and a 50% methanol shot!!

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an ATS 3000 and 5000 compound setup and an ATS transmission. I run about 30 percent Methanol and buy the stuff in bulk. I love it! I have a drag car and an autocross car, pretty funny when your tow rig will smoke most of the "competition" cars. Also, its hilarious when you pull up to some smartass at a light in a BMW or a Mustang and kick his ass in a diesel pickup, usually while towing a big trailer:D

I was thinking that a 30 to 50 shot on a turbo bike would probably be worth at least 20 HP, maybe more.This could be done very inexpensively. I don't have a turbo VROD to try it out on though.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Badass setup man! My folks have a '08 335i...I keep telling dad that we're gonna line them up soon as I get home with the built tranny and the tune :) Funny that you mention BMW!

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have everything to run the set-up on my bike, which I did go with a Snow performance hardware. I am waiting till the end of this season to approach it, since I just wanted to ride this year. Biggest pain will be in the form of carrying enough meth for a days worth of a long ride. I was guessing to spray it between 3k-8k which is where most of my time is spent.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
To really be on-point with it, an EGT guage would be the best way to decide what range to spray it in. On a gasoline-fired engine I think the benefits are only going to be seen where there's some sort of deficiency already. Seems to me like it would really only be beneficial in an instance where you're getting pre-det.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The point in saying that was: I don't see the point of running it for your normal driving unless you're going to really wick up the tune to the point where if you weren't running the water/meth between 3k and 8k, you'd be getting spark knock. That just leaves you in a really bad spot if you run out along the way!!!

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Badass setup man! My folks have a '08 335i...I keep telling dad that we're gonna line them up soon as I get home with the built tranny and the tune :) Funny that you mention BMW!
Thanks. I got the ATS cause its already engineered for badassedness! Compound turbo is the only way to go, drops EGTs like a mofo. Hammer it all day and never gets hot. No trial and error or blowing stuff up with the ATS cause you miscalculated. Granted, its not cheap either. BTW, make sure you get studs and fire rings if you go this route. Also, a 335i would have absolutely zero chance against you with this setup. I smoked my friends Z4 while I was towing HIS 27 foot Contender fishing boat. His response was that once he saw HIS own boat propellers spinning backwards through the cloud of smoke, he new it was over for his "sports" car. LOL.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Well played! I'll likely end up with compounds down the line, but that'll probably take another deployment to save for it!

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Biggest pain will be in the form of carrying enough meth for a days worth of a long ride. I was guessing to spray it between 3k-8k which is where most of my time is spent.
I guess when I started this thread I had not thought much about injection timing. The unit on my diesel is plug and play, connected to the MAP sensor, and has a mind of its own that controls injection.
The units I have built on race cars were typically just on or off.

I wonder if your system could somehow be connected to the ECM. maybe use TPS? Surely there is an intelligent, safe way to do this.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Same here, I can start based on boost pressure, or based on EGT. I'm sure there's some intrepid folks out there that could come up with a way to reference RPM, but again, you're not going to really see a huge gain in power unless your fuel map and timing are such that without the water/meth you'll be getting detonation.

Now...having said that... if somebody were to come up with a way to reference a switch in the system, that when armed changes your timing/fuel injection you could really be on to something! When the meth system is off, you're in your normal fuel tune, but when the meth system is armed, hold on to your asses!

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now...having said that... if somebody were to come up with a way to reference a switch in the system, that when armed changes your timing/fuel injection you could really be on to something! When the meth system is off, you're in your normal fuel tune, but when the meth system is armed, hold on to your asses!
You might be on to something! My diesel has tuner has, I think, 5 different maps in it, which can be switched on the fly. Why can't a VROD have 2 or more? Now that I think about it, that would be F'ing sweet. Economy mode, Normal, Race, and one optimized for Meth and/or Nitrous injection. Holy crap! Anybody know about this stuff? I will even buy a guinea pig bike to try it on if someone thinks they can do it.

Wheres that guy that built his own motorcycle computer cause he was bored? HELP.

T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts