Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
onequickvrod
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding with the wife sunday when bout 100 miles into the ride when my battery lite and engine would come on then the battery lite would go off and a few seconds the engine lite would go off this went on for 15 miles i would say... the bike ran no worse than before this happened at all ran just fine the whole day... i stopped for gas and the bike wouldn't start just like a dead battery but i have only had this one in for 1-1/2 summers and use a battery tender in the winter i pushed the bike outta the way took the top off and checked for a loose connection which there was none then i took the rite side cover off and moved the battery tenders quick connect ... put the cover on and the air box lid hit the start button bike fired up and the lite never came back on stopped and ate still nothing was wrong i'm just kinda stumped almost acted like the charging system was working and then not anyone got any ideas???? thanks mark

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection. Check all the ground connections as well as the battery connections. I'd take off and re-attach the tender if I were you, especially if it stopped acting up after you messed with it.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
voltage regulator about to go?.......sounds similar to what i had over labor day

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I agree with the voltage regulator. The engine light will come on when charge voltage is low also.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i stopped for gas and the bike wouldn't start just like a dead battery
When you say it would not start, just like a dead battery, just what did it do or not do? Did it do nothing, no lights, no sounds, did it attempt to pull in the start solenoid, but just clicked instead, did it crank the engine, but very slowly?

put the cover on and the air box lid hit the start button bike fired up
So you did nothing, other than move some wires, and the bike fired up normally, proper cranking speed etc? If so, this indicates to me that the battery was charged, and there is a loose connection somewhere. Check all the wires in particular, those in the starting and charging circuits. You mentioned in particular the leads for an external battery tender, make sure the positive lead of that is not touching the frame at any point, insulation rubbed through, etc. Is there a fuse in the positive lead of the battery tender or does it just go directly to the battery. To be safe, have a fuse in that circuit.

To check for proper charging the battery should be at about 12.6 volts with the bike not running and at about 14 volts with the bike running at 2500 RPM. Of course if the Voltage Regulator is intermittent, you will most likely not catch it.

·
onequickvrod
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys i thought bout the volt reg aswell just hoping it wasn't that course i guess it can be worse too anyway thanks for the input i'll do some checking around on it mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts