Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one installed the chrome bits that go around the bottom of the heads on the gear shifter side and gotten a slight discharge of oil , ive just noticed a small oil leak coming from 3 of the allen bolts used to hold them on ,do i need to do them up a bit more than the specs for the normal bolts cos of these covers, or do i ,undo all of them around the stator cover and do them up in proper sequence to the desired specs

brett

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm could be, cos ive undone and done these up twenty times and no leak before ,maybe i just live with the tiny smears on the chrome till engine rebiuld time ,next year

·
enigmas
340 Posts
If the cover is easily accessible just replace the gasket Brett. If you go to any automotive bearing company you'll also find a good range of anerobic sealers (usually in a red toothpaste like container) These sealants only harden in the absence of air and are not like silicone sealants that swell and cause havock in oil galleys. They are also miscible with engine oil if they don't set. Whether it's an O ring or paper gasket just smear a little on the contacting surfaces. I pretty much use it exclusively on bike or car engine rebuilds. The product I use is Loctite 518 Flange Sealant (Master gasket 50ml Part No. 25583

Call me if you need a hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts