Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas

anyone got a recommendation of a good independent harley garage where i could my front shocks done - progressive springs and heavier oil? I'm not mechanically minded.

i tried discussing this with warr's and they advised me the front was soft to stop the wheel locking up under hard braking (and that was just to replace with SE fork oil) so i guess they aren't interested.

i'm also keen on getting the 28 tooth front pulley fitted and they will probably not want my money for that either.

first service is in a few weeks when the V&H 2 into 1 with Fuelpak and SE air cleaner are fitted. after that i'm looking to get the shocks done.

i'm in richmond so anywhere surrey or london area would be very helpful.

cheers

soda

1,501 Posts
I have SE fork oil in my DX. It was the front wheel that locked up when taking evasive action and how i lost control in my accident.

Have you tried Warr's in mottingham? Dan's the man over there, GroovyKnight knows them better than I but they did my Key relo on my 06 very well (baring in mind it's a custom wiring job). They did make a pigs ear of the fork brace (it won't fit if you have chrome legs) but they made it fit but no clearance on the front fender, I kept hearing, ting, ting, ting, it was gravel hitting the inner part of the fender, DOH!

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
The Fronts lock up because of the fork angle, It prevents braking forces transfering to the contact patch and "loading up" the front tyre.

SE oil is not to blame, it should help the bike be more stable under braking by smoothing out the sudden transfer of forces.

Sorry I can't help with Independant dealer, I do all mine myself. It's a fairly easy job, I've done mine 4 times now.

If you get stuck, you can do job at mine, but you'll have to do it. Don'y worry I'll show you how.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mr. vrodder - thanks for the offer. i might just take you up on that!

diverse - have you changed the springs as well or just the oil?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not a V-rod but Gerry at Warrs South-East did a good job on my friends streetbob with progressive front springs and progressive rear shocks.He said it transformed the bike.Another possibility is Iron-Horse, Sidcup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks groovyknight. if warr's king's road don't want my money (which they don't seem to) i'll go to south east.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nick good luck with a local dealer the boys seem to have you covered for that but if you get stuck Tony at All American up my way near Worcester did my Progressive Fork Springs and SE Oil for a very reasonable deal. Its a while U wait job plus you get a lovely ride out via the Cotswolds etc!

While you are at it start saving for a set of Avons or Metz's combined with the above front set up it is one of the best investments you will make and as Groovys says it will transform the handling. I think that the original Dunlop compound is just too hard and is more likely to be the contributor to front end misbehaviour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts