Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rode for the last 2,000 miles with no problems with my pc3 after I had water issues with it which I cleaned up and made all better...until this last weekend when it hit almost 100 degrees out. It would run fine for ten or 15 mins then cut out on me. I would let the bike sit and then would run fine for a bit again. After the hot day I put 200 miles on it and it ran fine the whole time the rest of the weekend. The last time my bike acted up was when I was on a cancer run and it was just about as hot. When I feel the pc3 after it is cutting out it is super hot while nothing else in the airbox is. So I am leaning towards assuming it is getting hot and cutting out.

If I drop the pc3, what tuner should I get? Is taking it to my closest dealer and getting the race tuner and dynoed the route I should take? I can't remember the company who I read on here made the original Sert, should I go with them? Is there a non external tuner? Something they can just flash into my computer? I thought I had all the issues hashed out and am not very happy right now. Any advice would be appreciated! Bike is Topless, PC3 USB, Vmod style cut and Screaming Eagle flash.

Thanks in advance. -Joe

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just talked to a dealer who is about 100 miles away and they said for the Race Tuner with the dyno time just under $800 bucks. $460 for the tuner and a set $300 to tune it in. More than I wanted to spend but it's that or a trade the damn thing and get a whoping $6500 for it at a dealer. Does that amount to tune in and for the Race Tuner seem about as good as I will get?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
not sure how old your PC3 is, but do you think they would warranty it for a heat failure?
Maybe try the PCV?

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure how old your PC3 is, but do you think they would warranty it for a heat failure?
Maybe try the PCV?
I doubt they would warranty it, this is the second one I have had on the thing because the first one got wet and the pins corroded right off of it. I guess if I were to get another PC I would always worry about it and the thought of eliminating the piggy back system appeals to me with having troubles with it more than once.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I run a ThunderMax and am quite happy with it. For my stock 1130 it's been incredible. Great power, responsiveness, and fuel mileage. I love being able to just ride my bike instead of wasting time with a dyno.

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run a ThunderMax and am quite happy with it. For my stock 1130 it's been incredible. Great power, responsiveness, and fuel mileage. I love being able to just ride my bike instead of wasting time with a dyno.
I will have to read up on that one. Thank you.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
I have one as well and am very happy with it, especially after I switched to topless.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
The old SERT manufacturer is TTS and the new tuner is the Mastertune. It's a great tuner and if you have a local Mastertune dealer I'd give them a call to see what a tuner and dyno tune would cost - I would have to believe they can beat the dealer's price.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
A friend of mine here has a Thundermax on his turbo V-rod and his Ultra; he's very pleased. In fact, he recently tore the Ultra down to add some go-fast parts and was very impressed with how clean the engine was internally. He told me he could tell it was operating as close to perfectly as any he'd ever been into.

If you're thinking of spending $800 to cure your problems, consider the Thundermax.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
why is your PCIII continuely gettin wet?
i would think u need to solve this problem prior to getting any other tuner
food for thought anyhow.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
food for thought anyhow.
If it was like mine, I think its just inherent in the design. My first PCIII allowed moisture to collect where the pins connect. I lost 3 pins and had to take it apart and re-pin PCIII and factory harness connector. I am going to go with a SERT first chance I get.

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
food for thought anyhow.
It is no longer getting wet, but for the first two years I had it on, my inexperienced with electronics self did not dielectric grease the connections and a pin on it broke off because of the corrosion. I opted to buy another pc3 instead of fixing the pin, sealed the connections better and never have any moisture in them now.

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it was like mine, I think its just inherent in the design. My first PCIII allowed moisture to collect where the pins connect. I lost 3 pins and had to take it apart and re-pin PCIII and factory harness connector. I am going to go with a SERT first chance I get.
It was exactly like yours.

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The old SERT manufacturer is TTS and the new tuner is the Mastertune. It's a great tuner and if you have a local Mastertune dealer I'd give them a call to see what a tuner and dyno tune would cost - I would have to believe they can beat the dealer's price.
I will do a search for a Mastertune dealer. I know there is not one in Duluth so maybe the Twin Cities. As it would be the nearest Dyno HD Dealer anyway is almost 100 miles away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.