Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Hello forum .

I dont ride too much at night but recently I noticed the rear cylinder "Y pipe " was dull red .

I've done a search and read some threads but haven't come to a final conclusion.

I've read this is normal ? It cant be ......check engine light is off . Thunder Max diagnostic page is saying everything is OK .
Bike runs good as far as I can tell .

Auto Mapped it anyway but pipe still glows in the dark . I may be sparking a debate here ( again ) but those kind of EGT's can't be good for turbo - can't be good for anything .

Can anyone recommend a base MAP or solution to this issue ?

2013 vrod - trask turbo w/intercooler
What rpm range does it glow? Do you know how to work with Tmax maps?
Ron

· Registered
6,471 Posts
It'll glow dull at 4000 rpm ( approx . 60 mph ) and appears to get brighter the more throttle I throw at it .

Pretty new to the thundermax but please explain and I'll try to follow along .

Thanks fella
I would expect a dull glow a 4k. At idle, then you have a problem. Keep in mind, flame come out of that pipe and that thin wall tubing will glow at some point. More rpm, more flame intensity and more glow. More aggressive throttle will force a flame of richer mixture further down the pipe. I'd say you are likely ok. As for Tmax, I don't have the software any more. For a ball park evaluation, view both spark plugs for running even. The front pipe gets more cooling air, where the rear is shielded more and will run visually hotter.
Ron

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Thanks Ron ,

All you are saying makes sense......well sorta ?
With all the R&D put into HD's first overhead cam motor the issue of glowing exhaust on the rear cylinder only just cant be something the design team could have over looked.

HD paying attention to every possible detail on ALL their bikes ( & charge a premium dollar ) this issue had to come up and a plausible solution or conclusion has had to of been made .

I've read several threads with non turbo vrods involving this same very issue . I'm not saying you're wrong Ron .

Just a hard pill to swallow

Edit : bike works well ....always has
I can tell you this, positive my Akrapovic head pipes are red in those rpms. 321 thin walled stainless don't turn that color otherwise. Bike is tuned well so I ignore it. Stock exhaust also showed more heat effect on the chrome then the front. Between less air blowing over it and the fact the rear cyl does run a tad hotter then the front due to coolant circulation path, I say you are worrying over nothing important. As for hurting the turbo, some applications , not bikes, run hard actually glow red.
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts