Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
VRSCAW 2010
101 Posts
My V&H shows little glow too when the bike is ridden like it should( 0ver 5000rpm) for a longer period - not just a quick 1/4 mile run. I take that as a result of a well built engine with a decent power output, not at all as a design fault of factory.
EGT directly relates to exhaust gas velocity, in that as the exhaust temperature rises, the gas moves at a higher velocity. With an internal combustion engine , the EGT will rise as the engine makes more power (or as the air/fuel mixture leans out, but I don´t see Gevarliks situation that way). Some builders even wrap the turbocharger with insulating hood to get the higher EGT to boost the power even more.

On a carbureted V8 engine I used slightly larger air jets (Weber IDA carbs) for warmer mid summer days to lift up the EGT a tad to gain more power. On the dyno session that street driven L88 engine - by the way -heated the Hooker headers up so intensely I was thinking they will melt down and slither to sewer . The headers were over red glow and almost yellow at WOT.
So, glowing headers = Power:cool:

· Registered
VRSCAW 2010
101 Posts
I was writing about my own experience about two different engines. They both make/made awesome power (measured, not assumin anything).
None of those engines were running lean, the exhaust temp upscaling was just to pump up the power which it did.

Starter of this topic runs ThunderMax setup so the widebands are already there, possibly auto-tune too.

FYI, turbo blankets (or proper ceramic coating) are typically used to keep underhood temps manageable.
Really?o_O

Some poor b--tard is in need of your advice as well in this dyno session
N/A V10 (and zillion others in the same situation)
Automotive lighting Gesture Entertainment Heat Art

1 - 2 of 2 Posts