Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08dxa w/INDY PIPE (black ceramic from jet-hot)/SERT/K&N FILTER. i haven't started it for apprx. 6 weeks, so i decided to run it for at least 20-30min., had it running for apprx. 10 min. then reved it up a little, fluctuating from idle to 5500rpm's. well, i noticed the rear header pipe glowing bright red. the front was not as bright but it did go away quickly as i let it idle. my question is...is this normal? i don't remember any of my bikes doing this. please advise, thanx.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
sounds like it is a bit lean but im no expert.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You shouldn't rev any efi engine sitting still in neutral.There is not enough of a load on the engine.This keeps the mapp sensor from telling the ecm to richen up the fuel.It will run dangerously lean.The exhaust glowing red is proof of this.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Yup, bad juju to do that sitt'en still... You were probably close to burning your exhaust valve on the rear...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yup, bad juju to do that sitt'en still... You were probably close to burning your exhaust valve on the rear...
There fixed it fer ya

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
During my 15min @ 2000rpm cam break in my Stainless Comp pipe was red all the way to the "muffler". Shut it down after about 10 minutes.

BTW: Let her sleep. No reason to fire it up during storage. Just causes condensation and fuel dilution.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOOPS...WELL FUK MEEE...thanx for the advise guys. i thought we could rev these engines without floating a valve or melting something?:banghead: shiiit. i usually ride during the winter but i have apprx. 3" of ice on my driveway. as far as starting & the condensation thing, i could have sworn somebody on this forum said if you start it during winter, make sure you run it to operating temp. & then some, in order to avoid the condensation.? again THANX

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
OOOPS...WELL FUK MEEE...thanx for the advise guys. i thought we could rev these engines without floating a valve or melting something?:banghead: shiiit. i usually ride during the winter but i have apprx. 3" of ice on my driveway. as far as starting & the condensation thing, i could have sworn somebody on this forum said if you start it during winter, make sure you run it to operating temp. & then some, in order to avoid the condensation.? again THANX

The same thing will happen to your automobile engine if you start revving it up in neutral.Faster with with a map sensor.
If there's not enough of a load sensed,it will stay lean.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Big difference between starting up the motor and letting it idle until the fans come on and reving the motor at 5k... It's what I do during the winter months but some say not too... I've never seen any adverse effects from doing it but that doesn't mean I'm right :)...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts