Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Sanctimonious
44,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there with a Gils Box no the difference in the 3 pots? I am running WAY RICH and Gil is outta the Shop until Monday. I have the directions etc... that came with the box but none of it makes sense to me ( I am a Bit Dumb) so if anyone knows please share ( And I know taking advice from anyone here is completely my doing and I hold no one or the Forum responsible if I get the wrong advice)

· Banned
654 Posts
gil helped me dial mine in on the way to Sturgis last year.

went from 25 mpg to now between 33-37 depending on how fast i cruise.

i am not home right now to check mine but Gil had me start by turning the third pot from the left down (ccw) a 1/4 notch at a time and then the second pot from the left the same way. if remember i think the third ended up at about 1 1/2 notches from ccw about 7:00 and the second one 3 notches at about 9:00.

he had me run a couple tanks of fuel between adjustments.

i am still a little rich i think, when i get on it it will put out a cloud of black smoke. some of that is probably lugging it a little before downshifting and getting the revs up. dont think 33-37 loaded 2 up is to bad for mpg.

p.s. i think the first pot works like an air idle screw for a carb. Gil didnt have me mess with that and the bike idles fine.

hope this helps.

Dennis

· Sanctimonious
44,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DPierce02 said:
gil helped me dial mine in on the way to Sturgis last year.

went from 25 mpg to now between 33-37 depending on how fast i cruise.

i am not home right now to check mine but Gil had me start by turning the third pot from the left down (ccw) a 1/4 notch at a time and then the second pot from the left the same way. if remember i think the third ended up at about 1 1/2 notches from ccw about 7:00 and the second one 3 notches at about 9:00.

i am still a little rich i think, when i get on it it will put out a cloud of black smoke. some of that is probably lugging it a little before downshifting and getting the revs up. dont think 33-37 loaded 2 up is to bad for mpg.

hope this helps.

Dennis
Evey bit helps, I think I am getting 25mpg right now, I am Green 4.5 Yellow 5.5 and Red 3.5. I just dont know if one color controls richness or all of them do together.

· 06 Night Rod
629 Posts
gills

Is your bike stock?I have a D&D fat cat,K&N and toples and my settings are green at 3 oclock,yellow at 5 oclock, red at 4 oclock,and the last pot at 8 oclock.I hope this will help?I have a russell to and love them.

· Banned
654 Posts
luxlamf said:
Evey bit helps, I think I am getting 25mpg right now, I am Green 4.5 Yellow 5.5 and Red 3.5. I just dont know if one color controls richness or all of them do together.
if i remember thats what mine came at. i think the green acts as the idle adjustment as i mentioned.

Gill had me start with the red first. he said to make very minor adjustments because you may go the other way with large adjustments, the pots are very sensitive and it looks like you are not even making an adjustment and may not see any change.

i think the yellow acts like an intermediate jet in a carb and the red acts like a main jet.

also i think if you go full ccw it nulls the pot and it does nothing, just reverts to the ecm setting.

· Nate
3,277 Posts
I believe the green handles the fuel adding up to the ~3000 rpm range, then the yellow takes over up to around 6000 rpm, then the red pot takes over. If you have a 4th pot it's the rpm setting at which the red pot takes over.

· X G-Man
446 Posts
From what I understand the green controls the fuel at idle. The yellow control acts as an accelerator pump, and the red is for high rpm. If you know where you're running rich at, then adjust accordingly, but no more than an eighth turn at a time.

· George
5,411 Posts
David... try looking over these.....

I'll look at my settings when I get home in the morning. You and I sound like our bikes are set up about the same. I had mine tuned on a dyno and they're spot-on. I seem to think they are a LOT leaner than what you posted.

My "box" is a Rev-tech DFO, but it is more or less the same setting as Gil's... I think the Rev-Tech was engineered by Gil!

Attachments

· Premium Member
640 Posts
Lux,

Straight off of Gil's instructions:
Green- if experiencing surging at cruising speeds or popping or backfiring on deacceleration slightly increase.
Yellow-Optimize acceleration in 2nd or 3rd up to 2000 rpm increase until no noticable performance and switch back to last setting where you noticed a peformance increase.
Red- run from 7000 rpm to redline increase as long as you feel an increase in performance. When no notice decrease to last setting.

Gil set mine at G 2.5, Y 6.5 and R 3.5 for CFR, K&N and topless. When Chopper Steve did my dyno final setting are 3/3/2. Hope it helps.

· Gotta Blast!
3,391 Posts
Nate552 and duece top have it right! Listen to them.

· aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Lux,
Gill told me if you set the GREEN pot above 4, your gas mileage will start to suffer. Try to set the GREEN at 3 or 3.5 and the YELLOW at 6. Take it for a spin and see how she runs. Gill said that a little adjustment goes a long way. Hope that helps.

Shoe

· Nate
3,277 Posts
deuce_top said:
Gil set mine at G 2.5, Y 6.5 and R 3.5 for CFR, K&N and topless. When Chopper Steve did my dyno final setting are 3/3/2. Hope it helps.
Interesting, I started out with similar numbers for CFR, K&N , and the snorkel cut off. I actually ended up with almost identical numbers too. 3, 3, 2.5, 7. I wonder why we started out so rich?

Lux, how's the testing coming along? I took my airbox cover off so I could have access to my Gil's box, then I rode with a small screwdriver to use to make adjustments to the pots. I would accelerate, stop, make an adjustment, repeat, until I had it dialed in. I'm no expert, but 4.5 on the green sure does sound like it would be rich for your low rpms.

· Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
luxlamf said:
Nope, Vmods K&N and Topless.

Let me look it up that is what I was running..........crap 1250.... I guess you need to bump up so my numbers will work.

· Sanctimonious
44,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nate552 said:
Interesting, I started out with similar numbers for CFR, K&N , and the snorkel cut off. I actually ended up with almost identical numbers too. 3, 3, 2.5, 7. I wonder why we started out so rich?

Lux, how's the testing coming along? I took my airbox cover off so I could have access to my Gil's box, then I rode with a small screwdriver to use to make adjustments to the pots. I would accelerate, stop, make an adjustment, repeat, until I had it dialed in. I'm no expert, but 4.5 on the green sure does sound like it would be rich for your low rpms.
I did a bit of testingg last nite and now I am a bit in limbo with it, I am going to put it back to where it was and just ease off on the green a bit until I talk to Gil on Monday. The box is 1.5 years old maybe its just gone bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.