Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my two new Metz 880's after my original dunflops finally gave up (after only 6500 miles). So, I go over to the local HD dealership and they tell me that if I didn't buy the tires there, they won't warranty the work. HUH? It's not like I made the tires myself out of used condoms. WTF. These are Metzelers for gods sake. Obviously this is a huge scam to get people to buy tires there with overinflated (pun intended) prices. Can they really do this?

I could go to an independent shop, but vrods are pretty scarce around here and I've heard that getting the rear wheel off is a bit of a pain. So I figured I go to the dealer where they had more experience. But if they don't warranty the work, they could mount the tires with post-it notes and I wouldn't have any recourse when the tire goes flying past me on the highway.

Is this common? Legal?

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Go to an independant shop. I know my buddy went to the local Suzuki Dealership & they mounted/balanced his tires for $20.00 each + installation. I don't remember the exact total but it was reasonable. F going to the HD Stealership.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Dude.. the VR is as easy as any bike to do the tires.. I do my own with a HF changer. Go to the independent!

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
Had both Metz's mounted at my dealer last week and no problem with buying them elsewhere and he didnt care if I wanted Dyna Beads or lead weights for balancing, unlike one of the independents that wouldnt put Dyna beads in my tires "cuz if they were so good then all the Motorcycle manufacturers would use them".... as he was breathing out of his mouth.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
What are you riding? It is only a pain on the 240 bikes, and even then it is OK if you know:

Take the caliper off (you need a cut down allen)
Duct tape the wheel rim, or you will scratch it.

Even so I can understand the independents not fancying it.

But I don't see the problem with them not warrantying the work. Their insurance probably doesn't cover it. You want dealer benefits, pay dealer prices. Just get them to fit the tyre and don't expect something for nothing. Check it yourself afterwards. It will be fine - fitting a tyre is not rocket science.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
I always pull the wheels myself and take them to a tire shop.

That way they don't know its a VRod and wont charge you the earth :p

·
Registered
342 Posts
I take mine off the bike and drive them to the local Honda/Suzuki dealer. They mount and balance both for $25. I go to this shop as much as possible for parts and acessories. They treat me like a person and not like a credit card (like HD dealers do!). :D

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Me and buddy got a changer and balancer at his wood shop. Get tires online and save hundreds and then mount em oursleves. That changer paid for itself the first set we each changed on it.

And on a side note. I really have no idea what kind of mileage to expect out of tires on this bike. Right now it looks like my original rear will be killed at around 6k. But its also on an 08 that sat at the dealer for two yrs and i have done alot of two up riding during the 3k miles i put on her the last two months. So i attribute some of it to the tires age.

When I rode sport bikes I could expect maybe 2k miles out of a set on my 600 and could destroy a set in under 1000 miles on my 1000 and i ran Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's for many of those sets. So 6k is like a godsend to me when it comes to motorcycle tire mileage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was planning on pulling the wheels myself, but it was the HD dealership that told me that the rear wheel (I have a VRSCDX - with the 240mm) was a TWO MAN job!

After reading the suggestions here I called around and the guys over at the local suzuki/yamaha dealer said no problem, 1 hr, work fully guaranteed, and they'll even put the dyna-beads in for me. :dance:

What I'm confused about is what difference does it really make where I get my tires? As long as my tires are from the same manufacturers that they would be using, and the tires are clearly new, (i.e. not refrubs of some sort) why wouldn't they warranty the work the same way they would if I bought the tires there. I would still paying for their labor so my expectation is that they are going to do a good job, and if they don't shouldn't I have some recourse?

I know nothing about tires, and maybe it's really easy to get knockoff tires from disreputable sellers (like fake watches) that are hard to tell from OEM, but I doubt it.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
I was planning on pulling the wheels myself, but it was the HD dealership that told me that the rear wheel (I have a VRSCDX - with the 240mm) was a TWO MAN job!

After reading the suggestions here I called around and the guys over at the local suzuki/yamaha dealer said no problem, 1 hr, work fully guaranteed, and they'll even put the dyna-beads in for me. :dance:

What I'm confused about is what difference does it really make where I get my tires? As long as my tires are from the same manufacturers that they would be using, and the tires are clearly new, (i.e. not refrubs of some sort) why wouldn't they warranty the work the same way they would if I bought the tires there. I would still paying for their labor so my expectation is that they are going to do a good job, and if they don't shouldn't I have some recourse?

I know nothing about tires, and maybe it's really easy to get knockoff tires from disreputable sellers (like fake watches) that are hard to tell from OEM, but I doubt it.

They just want their money. That's what it all comes down to. Most private shops make all their money off the labor and very little off parts. But the stealerships make a killing off the parts and the labor.

I dont let Harley do anything other than warranty work.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
They just want their money. That's what it all comes down to. Most private shops make all their money off the labor and very little off parts. But the stealerships make a killing off the parts and the labor.

I dont let Harley do anything other than warranty work.
HD Makes a large % of their total earnings off their merchandizing (t-shirts) & parts. They make almost next to nothing off selling bikes.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
HD Makes a large % of their total earnings off their merchandizing (t-shirts) & parts. They make almost next to nothing off selling bikes.
yeah that would explain the 2k price drop on certain v-rod models this yr.

Harley loses a crap ton of money because they charge ridiculous prices for parts, and service and at least where I am dont have service techs that are worth a shit.

If they charged a reasonable price for my tires and to have them mounted I would be lazy and let em do it. But when I can get the tire online for over $150 less than what they want to get it for me it's just not gonna happen. I would go broke paying them to do everything I do myself.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
More than likely he meant he won't warranty or cover removing/re-installing another tire should they fail. And rightly so. He need only cover the mechanical end.
Had you bought the tires there that would be all would surely be covered. No shop will cover labor on tires bought "outside".

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
More than likely he meant he won't warranty or cover removing/re-installing another tire should they fail. And rightly so. He need only cover the mechanical end.
Had you bought the tires there that would be all would surely be covered. No shop will cover labor on tires bought "outside".
Quite. The installation is really a come on - they make their money flogging the tyres, getting both the normal tyre mark up plus the gold plated Harley mark up. They'd have to be downright STUPID to encourage you to buy your own tyres. They'll take the money to fit them, but they are not going to throw in the "free" extra of kissing butt if something goes wrong, not least because as soon as they fit non Harley parts their insurance is probably invalid, so if the tyre rubs, bursts and puts you in hospital (very unlikely, but if you employ people to work on bikes all day every day sooner or later someone will screw up) you can sue them into bankrupcy.

When I ran a computer company I would have done exactly the same. Come to me and ask for a load of upgrades, I'll sell them to you, fit them, make sure they work, and if they don't, if necessary suck up any related costs of making you happy. Buy your OWN upgrades and bring them round and ask me to fit them, I'll charge you an hourly rate and tell you I don't want to hear any whining later. If you bought the wrong thing and it doesn't fit or doesn't work the way you expected, tough.

We're all either in business to make money, or buying things ourselves to save it. If you want gold plated service off the dealer, you have to allow him to make money. If you want to save money, then don't expect gold plated service. Perfectly reasonable choice to make.

I neither want nor trust the free coffee and hotdogs from my stealer, who is an expensive, incompetent wanker, so I buy stuff myself. Tyres come mail order and I take the loose wheels to the tyre fitter. My friend Nicky has no confidence in her mechanical abilities so she takes her Road King to the dealer and fries her credit card every time she wants anything done. I want to save money, she wants piece of mind. Either is cool.

By the way, the local independent dealer is cheap and competent, so he gets my KTM and Triumph when the tyres need changing. I pay him a bit over the odds for the tyres (my choice of make and model, not his), he saves me hassle. Fair deal. I don't ask him to do the Harley because getting the 240 wheel off and on is bit of a performance, and I'd rather do it myself and know it is done right. Also I've done it before, often, so I'm much quicker than he would be. I already know I need to take the caliper off the carrier, that I need a cut down allen to do it, and that the rim needs taping to avoid scratches.

·
Registered
976 Posts
We had a problem with shops refusing to mount tires brought in.

A guy from Montreal Petes Tires was killing local GTA shops for tire prices .He was 34-40% cheaper even with shipping .People got pissed off with shops they had work done for years .Eventually shops realized that making some money is better than none .A few months later most shops have dropped their prices lower .Not as low as Petes but fairly close .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the weather has been so nice around here I couldn't wait until Friday to take the bike in, and with the comments here, I decided to go ahead and pull the wheels myself.

1st timer.

Front wheel, 10 minutes (my 6 yr old could do it).

Rear wheel, 45 minutes. A bit of a pain doing the 240 on a dx but I bet the next time I do it I could get it under 30 min. I found that if I removed the right rear shock the brake caliper was easy-peasy. I didn't want to risk any alignment issues so I simply moved the caliper out of the way and the then put the shock back in place before I removed the wheel. The rest was straight forward. My tires are being mounted while I type and I should be riding again this evening. :dance:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Well, the weather has been so nice around here I couldn't wait until Friday to take the bike in, and with the comments here, I decided to go ahead and pull the wheels myself.

1st timer.

Front wheel, 10 minutes (my 6 yr old could do it).

Rear wheel, 45 minutes. A bit of a pain doing the 240 on a dx but I bet the next time I do it I could get it under 30 min. I found that if I removed the right rear shock the brake caliper was easy-peasy. I didn't want to risk any alignment issues so I simply moved the caliper out of the way and the then put the shock back in place before I removed the wheel. The rest was straight forward. My tires are being mounted while I type and I should be riding again this evening. :dance:
Spot on. I prefer to remove the calliper rather than the shock, but the principle is the same.

Bet you can have the rear off in fifteen next time.... :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spot on. I prefer to remove the calliper rather than the shock, but the principle is the same.

Bet you can have the rear off in fifteen next time.... :D
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I only have one jack, so I used some little squares of plywood for under the tire. There's a bit of up and down to get the wheel out without scratching the wheel or inadvertently snapping off the license plate holder. That ate up a bit of time. Although once I realized that you can simply slip the caliper holder right off the swing arm once the axle is out it was much less of a hassle. Maybe 20 is in the cards. :) Not to mention that I was really lucky and the axle slipped right out as well. (It was nicely lubricated)

Are there any special tips.tricks on the reinstall? (other than what's in the shop manual)

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I only have one jack, so I used some little squares of plywood for under the tire. There's a bit of up and down to get the wheel out without scratching the wheel or inadvertently snapping off the license plate holder. That ate up a bit of time. Although once I realized that you can simply slip the caliper holder right off the swing arm once the axle is out it was much less of a hassle. Maybe 20 is in the cards. :) Not to mention that I was really lucky and the axle slipped right out as well. (It was nicely lubricated)

Are there any special tips.tricks on the reinstall? (other than what's in the shop manual)
Duct tape on the rim (as in the exposed surface of the wheel, I know you North Americans call the whole wheel the rim, so I don't know what you actually call the RIM). Then you don't have to worry about scratching the finish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts