Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Getting ready to use my motorcycle lift for the fist time. Endded up buying a Larin MAL-2. I had looked at various lifts for over a year "Pitbull" , "SUperJack", EasyRoller. I guess I finaaly decided because of the advertised lower price and lower compressed height (2-1/2 -3 inches).

The thought of lifting a slanted (jiffy-stand) motorcycle is scarry eough, but the thought of lowering it !!!!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should look for...are there any special technics for using a lift.

Thanks in advance.

PS...is it necessary to stap it down...if so where is the best location to use in order not to scratch up the frame or bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,582 Posts
Just do it on level ground.Have a helper the first time or 2.It's a breeze once you find the balancing point for your bike. :cool:
 

·
Ride on!
Joined
·
267 Posts
Just make sure your jiffy stand is down before you lower her from the lift. I haven't strapped mine down before. Unless you plan on being really rough with her you would probly be okay, however, for piece of mind you want to stap her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
I always use straps on the lower part of the frame cause I am kinda scared that my 4yrold will run into the garage and want to spin the wheels. Or I could just be the normal clutz that I am and bump into it. Anyone have a better place to put straps on your bikes what do you strap to when on a trailer?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,582 Posts
dlevi03 said:
I always use straps on the lower part of the frame cause I am kinda scared that my 4yrold will run into the garage and want to spin the wheels. Or I could just be the normal clutz that I am and bump into it. Anyone have a better place to put straps on your bikes what do you strap to when on a trailer?
Your 4 yr Old can move 600lbs? :hmm: ;)
 

·
just a ghost now
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
The actual question is can a 4 year old upset the balance of a unsecured 600 lb motorcycle on a jack, one that is inherently unstable as its sitting on the oil pan versus the frame rails. If you had a 4 year old child, you would have the answer to this question already.....nor would you even question risking harm or worse to such child. Strap that bike down while elevated......period.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,582 Posts
THERE IS no frigging way a 4 Yr Old is tipping/knocking my bike off my craftsman BROTHA! :angeldev:
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
My 4yr old daughter knows not to touch the bike or the car,unless I let her. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,582 Posts
vrodvinny said:
My 4yr old daughter knows not to touch the bike or the car,unless I let her. ;)
Vinny,
Thats a Great Point ,but to many Parent I see don't take the Time to teach their Kids what they can and can't do! :soapbox: I was only a Parent for a short Time. :( I do know what it like to wait in the Emergency Room and Pray that he's not gonna need Brain Surgery! :sad: Don't think I'm as Insensitive and Ignorant as I ACT! :moon: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
My preferred method of lifting is to straddle the bike and pump the lift with my foot until it engages the frame. Then I get off and lift it the rest of the way.

I usually bring it down the same way. Lower it slowly until I can straddle it, then use my foot to release the lift the rest of the way.

I use a Craftsman lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DCLittlejohn said:
My preferred method of lifting is to straddle the bike and pump the lift with my foot until it engages the frame. Then I get off and lift it the rest of the way.

I usually bring it down the same way. Lower it slowly until I can straddle it, then use my foot to release the lift the rest of the way.

I use a Craftsman lift.
That's an idea, thanks..... I have used the jack once worked OK little scary, but it worked. I found that the padded lifting bars are barely long enough not to hit the frame (rubber padding). I used it to clean and polish the wheels, had a little rocking motion, so I think that if I were to do do wrenching I should use some tie downs.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top