Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped off the V-rod today.They are going to dyno tune it.V-mod gave me a map that they got 8rwhp.I'm hoping that they can tune it better and get me more hp and torque.I went w/12 discs and no end cap.And topless.

They said it should be ready tom. They are also replacing the water pump,and rear rocker cover.Because of the chrome bubbling.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Sounds Like A SUPERTRAPPER to Me!:diablo: I made about 122rwhp with my old setup,but that ain't with no Map from Steve.Try about 200+ dyno runs with every trick in the book including Special Gas!:diablo: I' don't have time to go over my setup but if you do a search on the OTHER FORUM you should be able to find out what I have done.:cool:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey KAZ,
Its's me doc v-rod(now vrodvinni).You sent me that video,a couple weeks ago.Really enjoyed it.When i got the video the exhaust was still on the road being delivered.Couldn't wait to get it on after hearing yours.I LOVE it.
They called me today.They couldn't get the the map to open.I burned it on a cd,The cord isn't long enough to my garage and I don't have one of those power thingys.I told them I got it from V-mod.they were gonna call Chopper Steve and have it emailed to them.I was kinda sh_tty w/them because I gave them 3#'s to get ahold of me.I was planning to eat dinner and get the rod.But i can't now.They said that it would take to long to do it from scratch.saves me money tho.But I want all the power those pipes can give me.

I NEED A PUNCHING BAG

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Hang in there!You can't Rush Perfection.;) Let me know how it goes.:cool:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
113hp and 77lbs of torque.They made 11pulls and thats all they got!:mad: I need to find a real dyno tuner around in my area.Or at least a dyno that i can operate myself,and tune.Stealer took $216 from me.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
What was the base line?thats not a bad figure.Don't get caught up on Numbers ride it and have fun!:cool:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

Those are very respectable numbers and since you don't have the baseline (stock everything) for your bike on that dyno you really can't be upset. It's at least a 10% improvement and depending on where the gains are, a whole lot of seat of the pants improvement. Like Kaz said, ride it and enjoy. Don't fret over the numbers.

You might want to ask what some of the other numbers they have gotten are. They might be like Bob T's tuner and have a setup that reads low compared to others.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that every dyno will give you a different reading.
Who can I email the charts to so they can be posted.I wasn't able to get them to attach.I scanned them onto my computer.
Then you guys tell me what you think improvements need to be made.
I'm new to EFI always played with carbs==jets and screws
it's all confusing right now, but with the help fron this forum I well be knowledgable as you guys.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Horsepower

It really depends where the dyno starts. Then add from baseline. Some Optimistic (like Hot Rod Mag or Car Craft) like to be optimistic and Car and Driver are realistic. I have seen old Dyno articles that test the same cars in the same years and come up way different. Check out old 1968 Mustang GT with 428 engine . 1/2 second difference in 1/4 mile times. NONE THE LESS , what I am saying is that ,to date , my dealer ship has not had a stock VRSCA ,with their dyno,under pretty decent conditions(air temp and such is adjustable) run more than 100 rw hp . If you want to know what mine was you will have to look it up on the other forum , as I can give a Rats' A$$ what it was ( I like the set up they did just fine) , but when they were done it had
103.2 and 68.4 . I have the Screamin' Eagle air filter,Top on , S.E. flash , and S.E. 16 gauge .This does not matter but I have the 29 tooth pulley (with 8,000 miles of trouble free performance). Compared to before with the hiccuping and stalling that was happening at least once per ride, I am very happy. Fast ? Not really, but satisfying it is. More snap,runs well, even just as good if not better mileage. Maybe take the torque and divide by hp on each (or vice versa) to see if the Ratio is the same . I do not understand all the crap. But I do know that my dealership ran my bike 4 times and the cost was 20 bucks (plus like 2 tenths of an hour labor) and it was worth it. Their dyno was Brand new with the brand new building (Sept of 2002) so they did admit that the software may be slightly outdated ,but not more than a couple months. 'nuff babbling,BobT

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
When I started this madness I made 93.6 rwhp with the Sampson Slashers,PowerComander,SE Air Filter.Now a couple years and Many,Many Thousands of Dollars and Hours later it makes 181.3 rwhp and 164.7 rwtq.Is it all worth it?I'll let you know as soon as I get to make a Full Clean Pass!:diablo:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got them emailed out.

Sorry about the quality.

Dyno 14 was in 5th gear
Dyno 4+11 was in 4th gear.
I installed the pipes and k&n and pcIII.Dyno 4 is what I was making when I rode it to the stealer.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Great

I just love this where you can get tons of info from "do- ers" not
know it alls. We have a great tool here and with people like SuperKaz ,Max, Mark(MJW930) , and such , we will overcome all the obsticles to get each bike running to our satisfaction. That is all that counts,right . BobT:notworthy

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny's dyno sheets

Vinny send me his dyno sheets, I've cleaned them up and here they are (one per post).

One thing I find interesting is the fuel curve. He really leaned it out in the mid and upper range. It looks like there's still some room for improvement but it doesn't look bad at all.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MJ,
where does it need improvements,so I can tell the tuner where to adjust.I was looking at the list of tuner's and dealers that power commander recomends.Calumet harley ,right outside of Merriville,IN about an hour ride for me.I need to get off my a$$ and call them to see what they say.

Thanks,
Vinny

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the results aren't good, they are.

What I would experiment with would be the AFR to get a more linear curve. If you look at the first chart you'll see the red AFR being virtually flat, this is good, it indicates the proper settings within the ECM in regards to the volumetric efficiency (amount of air) and the amount of fuel metered into the motor but it's WAY to rich. I would have done a blanket adjustment to the entire AFR settings in the PCIII to bring this line up to ~13.5 then fine tuned it to create a mild rise in the midrange to ~14.0 with the lower and upper range set to ~12.5. I would then adjust the timing to get maximum power and fuel efficiency.

What you have now is a very rich condition below 3500 rpm which is going to feel like the bike is a bit "flat" in that band. With a little less fuel and a little more timing you should be able to get your torque over 70 by 3500 rpm with a gradual increase to something like 80 up around 7000 rpm falling off gradually to ~70 at redline.

Just my thoughts, with that and a dollar you might get a cup of coffee :)

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't implying that you said they were bad, I'm new to EFI,I'm a car guy that plays w/v-8's. I know that we keep my race cars around 13.5-13.7.I agree that its to rich.I just wamted to know were to improv on.I wanted them to flatten the afr out.And lean it out some.But the guy said "v-rods like to run rich"Bullsh_t,it is a internal combustion engine and 14.7 is the stoichic ratio.If i don't get it leaned out then i'm gonna foul plugs out.I guess i need to play with the buttons on the PCIIIr to lean it out some until I get it back on a dyno.

Thanks
vinny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts