Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a used VRSC. Can anyone give me some information on any mechanical differences between the models or years. Are any years known to have any problems? Is one year considered "better" than another? All I have had was a FLSTC and after having ot sell it few years back I stopped paying attention to what was going on with bikes.

Any information would ne greatly appreciated!

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Not sure there are too many mechanical differences - I saw a thread on this prior- maybe do a search. I think the body styles vary and they perform different. Of course the VRSCB model is the best- just ask the VRSCB people. and the R owners think they are the fastest, but they are delusional. The DX is pretty HOT, but I can't afford one right now so I won't comment. Where in CA are you?

Anything pre- 06 is going to have the smaller 3.7 gas tank -(which sucks) Oh and

Welcome!!:vrod: :welcome:

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
violet said:
Not sure there are too many mechanical differences - I saw a thread on this prior- maybe do a search. I think the body styles vary and they perform different. Of course the VRSCB model is the best- just ask the VRSCB people. and the R owners think they are the fastest, but they are delusional. The DX is pretty HOT, but I can't afford one right now so I won't comment. Where in CA are you?

Anything pre- 06 is going to have the smaller 3.7 gas tank -(which sucks)
:stupid:
It all depends if you want to customize it or not. A B or a Nightrod (VRSCD) with a black frame can be turned into anything you want. Any model with a silver frame has more "flash" but it limits what looks good with it. An R would be easy to find cheap, but it's an R (I won't comment on that - do a search or ask Lux about it).
Whatever you can find, you won't be disappointed.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Pondo said:
:stupid:
It all depends if you want to customize it or not. A B or a Nightrod (VRSCD) with a black frame can be turned into anything you want. Any model with a silver frame has more "flash" but it limits what looks good with it. An R would be easy to find cheap, but it's an R (I won't comment on that - do a search or ask Lux about it).
Whatever you can find, you won't be disappointed.
Don't the R's sit a little higher with Mid controls? The A,B, D models are all forward controls right? The DX is mid controls and they changed the pipes - (maybe the R too?) I like the original flared pipes Modded. But if I had the DX I wouldn't complain........it still looks pretty Bad A$$

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
VRSCD models have MID controls. While I find this setup best for ME, you might not like it if you are long legged or really tall. (although some tall people here say they like the D's placement) The other models other than the R have forward controls. The next differences will be seats.

·
Greg
604 Posts
They no longer make R's, and that's too bad, because not only are they the fastest, they're also the only V that's not a cruiser wannabe! Plus, there are things that can compliment the silver frame (even if I do wish mine was black) -- check out my gallery! So, find yourself a used R!!! :stilpoke:

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
R=REJECTED Redheaded Stepchild but you can adopt one fairly cheap.

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
i love my DX...and not just cause I own one, but I'd seen other V-Rods and always thought they were just allright looking (IMHO;-) with a phenominal Porsche engine and overall much better mechanics and a far better, stiffer frame/swingarm than other "Harleys"....thought they'd ice the cake if they gave it the "Night Train" treatment....then they did. Lovin' it mucho so far....Blows my 1200 sportster and my old evo "Sturgis" FXDL away.....

·
l337ub3rn00b
227 Posts
When I 'researched' the VRSC models, I used the HD website and used the compare models function. Puts em in nice, neat, organized rows and columns. I posted the link below.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/home.jsp?locale=en_US

Once I figured out which bike I liked, I found this site and read up on some of the postings in the model specific area. I hope this helps you find more info.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
TCA07 said:
I am looking for a used VRSC. Can anyone give me some information on any mechanical differences between the models or years. Are any years known to have any problems? Is one year considered "better" than another? All I have had was a FLSTC and after having ot sell it few years back I stopped paying attention to what was going on with bikes.

Any information would ne greatly appreciated!

2007 rake 34/tail 4.6 Alarm system is proximity.
VRSCD - Nightrod - mid controls, 1130cc engine, seat height 26.5", HP 120 180 mm rear, 5 gal gas tank Key ignition near front forks.

VRSCDX - Nightrod Special - forward controls, 1130cc engine seat height 25.4 HP 120 180 mm rear, will accept 240mm 5 gal gas tank Key ignition near front forks.

VRSCAW - Vrod forward controls, 1130cc engine, seat height 26.5, stance slightly wider because of exhaust (equivelent seat height 27.2) hp 120 5 gal gas tankKey ignition near front forks.

2006 Rake 36/ tail 4.5, Alarm system requires 2 key press to arm disarm.
VRSCD Nightrod - mid controls, 1130cc engine, seat height 26.5", HP 115 - 120 180 mm rear, 3 gal gas tank 180 mm tire, requires changes to accept 240 mm tire. Key ignition under seat.

VRSCR Street rod. Mid controls, 1130 cc engine , seat height 31.5" HP 120, 3 gal gas tank, 180 mm tire. Key ignition under seat. Discontinued due to seat height according to Harley insiders.

VRSCDX - Nightrod Special - forward controls, 1130cc engine seat height 25.4 HP 120 180 mm rear, needs modification to accept 240mm 3 gal gas tank Key ignition under seat.

2008 rake 34/tail 4.6 Alarm system is proximity. ABS available as option.

VRSCD - Nightrod - mid controls, 1250cc engine, seat height 26.5", HP 125 180 mm rear, 5 gal gas tank Key ignition near front forks.

VRSCDX - Nightrod Special - forward controls, 1130cc engine seat height 25.4 HP 120 240 mm rear 5 gal gas tank Key ignition near front forks.

VRSCAW - Vrod forward controls, 1250cc engine, seat height 26.5, stance slightly wider because of exhaust (equivelent seat height 27.2) hp 125 5 gal gas tankKey ignition near front forks. 240 mm rear tire.

I believe this is correct. Hope this helps.

The 04 and 05 had 115 HP, 3 gal tank, 1130 cc engine, ignition under seat and some other changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great info!

To all those who replied to my post, thanks for all the great information. It has given a lot to pay attention to when I am out looking!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts