Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trans fluid is boiling after 185 d.f.

Replace it with c-5 corvette 100 % syn. fluid that boils @ 400 d.f. from your local chevy dealer. It's about $ 12 a qt. but you'll get a smooth shifting trans. on hot & cold days ! I've been using syn fluids over 25 years . syn works better .try it. my thoughts Bud Thanks men !!! I'm from the old school !! Three holes & three fluids !! I ride an 08 Ultra Classic ! Never had a V-Rod ! ! came to this site to learn the pro's an con's of the Rod as I'm considering buying a Rod ! I appreciate the exonerating as I am a 62 year old bike Harley biker ! I've most always had 2 electra glides a Classic R.C. & Ultra . once I bought a Fat Boy ! I hang out with 50's thru 70's Harley bikers an thought I might like a door blower " V-ROD ". I learned the first post & am looking to buy a V-Rod if it is good as the Electra Glide ! thanks men . my thoughts Bud P.S. don't put any auto fluid in your crank case " my mistake " use only Mobile #1 is #!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yes it's possible.Beside running a quality 20-50 motorcycle oil,I suggest Amsoil,remove the shifter from the frame rail,hone the bushing and lube it.The bushing has been known to expand and bind when it gets hot,worse with the chrome foot pedal.Keep the 2 pivot joints cleaned and lubed.
I wouldn't install oil from a OM marked container until you learn if it is compatible with the wet clutch,the transmission and the engine.Remember,the oil in the Revo crankcase is shared by all 3 components and it holds a total of 5 qts w the filter.The main ingredient you need to look for in oil for the Revo is Zink.You need a minimum of 1400 ppm,or you will be replacing the clutch plates.I seriously doubt that OM is using half that amount of zink in any of the oils in their vehicles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
um a c5 corvette would use dextron III and if your using that in your vrod's "transmission" id like to know for how many minutes did it run? i may also be a covette guy not just a vrod guy just saying..... like elrod said the engine oil is the same for the transmission and the clutch as well I would do what he suggested imo.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Well let's not beat on the FNG.He needs to learn the V-Rod just like we did.
Yall,just keep in mind,that the V-Rod does not have separate fill transmissions or primarys like the other styles of Harleys.This is why we need a top of the line oil that will handle severe abuse.
The late Vettes use #6 in their transmissions nowadays,good stuff.Of course there's better but I like the 6.I've been using it in the old transmissions when I do a complete rebuild.

I think if sikku1 hones the shifter bushings and lubes them up,his ill shifting condition when hot should go away.If not,let us know and we'll come up w plan B.:)

·
Starving Dog
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well let's not beat on the FNG.He needs to learn the V-Rod just like we did.
Yall,just keep in mind,that the V-Rod does not have separate fill transmissions or primarys like the other styles of Harleys.This is why we need a top of the line oil that will handle severe abuse.
The late Vettes use #6 in their transmissions nowadays,good stuff.Of course there's better but I like the 6.I've been using it in the old transmissions when I do a complete rebuild.

I think if sikku1 hones the shifter bushings and lubes them up,his ill shifting condition when hot should go away.If not,let us know and we'll come up w plan B.:)
by "hones"
you mean basically a good cleaning?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
by "hones"
you mean basically a good cleaning?
No,you need to remove the shifter from the frame rail and hone the plastic bushing.When I say shifter,I mean the part you use your foot on.
The bushings have been known to expand from the heat transferred from the hot frame rail.It's not picky,so being real precise on the honing is not really necessary.

·
Starving Dog
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"hone" ...got it. So take off the shifter and hone it, retighten, then lube. I will go get on it. Thanks again for putting up with my questions, I appreciate it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Dear FNGs, please keep in mind that the V must have a oil that is wet clutch approved. It will be written on the bottle. Lucas oils makes good oil, but not all of them are wet clutch approved.

·
Registered
189 Posts
awesome! glad to see you got it fixed.

oh elrod the #6 is great stuff, i actually just used it in a 4l60 I just rebuilt/upgraded to vette servos in a friend of mine's truck.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
awesome! glad to see you got it fixed.

oh elrod the #6 is great stuff, i actually just used it in a 4l60 I just rebuilt/upgraded to vette servos in a friend of mine's truck.
I rebuild many transmissions each week.The fluid can make,or break a good job.The fluid type is determined by the clutch material.
I advertise for the 4L60,4L60E,4L65E and the 4L70E's.They are my money makers!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good INFO !!!!!

Hey men, If you are driving a tow truck with auto trans !!! You need too change your fluid to syn to get the 400 degree boil point . when you get in the mountians towing your camper or load the trans will boil your auto fluid an blow your front seal due to the boil . You can save $ 3,000 with tow an over haul by simply changing to synthetic trans fluid an preventing the 185 degree fluid boil that will blow the front seal due to high fluid temp. I didn't mean to high jack your tread !!!! I'm trying to make up for my three hole post ! I didn't know that there was only one hole on a v-rod ,so please a accept my apoligy for ignorance !!! Use a good Syn oil for your bike . Bud

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I didn't mean to high jack your tread !!!! I'm trying to make up for my three hole post ! I didn't know that there was only one hole on a v-rod ,so please a accept my apoligy for ignorance !!! Use a good Syn oil for your bike . Bud
You don't have to make up for anything.A lot of my knowledge comes from making mistakes and correcting them.This forum was made for us to learn and share the enjoyment of our motorcycles,and it has become one of the most informative forums on the WWW.

With what you suggest for oil in transmissions is one of the reasons I choose Amsoil for my motorcycles and my late model new autos.
Oil technology has come a long way in a few short years.Mainly by keeping the byproduct from engine emissions to a minimum.It's great in the way that the manufactures and the scientists of oil companys work together to give u the best there is for today's technology.
There are quit a few informative sites and guides on the internet for oil.Surf around and use some common sense on what is true and what is advertising hype.You'll be amazed at what you can learn about oil,whether it comes from sticks,stems and seeds,or from severely manipulated crude.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts