Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - I notice that my bike, if I engage 1st while standing still really clunks. Is this normal?

Second - a lot of the time I get a decent clunk and sometimes a crunch going into second. Other times it is seamless and silent and other times there is a snick or click like I would expect. I have been very aware of my technique, clutch depression, shifter motion (speed and force) revs, bike speed and motion etc at the 1st to 2nd upshift, but it seems random to me. Any ideas? Your experience?

I read this too, which is an excellent piece on gears, although a little hard for a mechanical numnuts like me to understand in places. The wrenchers in here will love it!

How Stuff Works link

I look forward to your learned respnses - hopefully shorter than the linked article!:D

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Hi Karl,
The clunk into first is normal. I would highly recommend changing to synthetic oil to help this and the other condition you are reporting. Syn will also make your bike run cooler and last longer. If you are already running syn, I would recommend louder pipes. ;)

John

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on Syn, have the SE slipons, so I guess the stockers better go to Steve for some modding!

You mentioned once that my setup will work with them - is the flash for the se slipons ideal for the v mod stockers or just "ok"?

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Karl Scott said:
I'm on Syn, have the SE slipons, so I guess the stockers better go to Steve for some modding!

You mentioned once that my setup will work with them - is the flash for the se slipons ideal for the v mod stockers or just "ok"?

Hi Karl,
Ideal, is only accomplished by dyno tuning with either the Race Tuner or the Power Commander. From what I know, I would say the stock pipes modded by V-Mod.com with the SE slip-on download is about a B+ as far as being optimal. It should perform VERY well, just don't go topless or it will be too lean.

John

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the 1st gear klunk too. Glad to hear its not just me.

Karl, why not V-Mod the SE's instead of the stockers?

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
First gear klunk is normal (also present on BMW's). Onother gears, I learned to shift without hte klunk. Hard to explain but try to improve on your coordination between decel, clutch depress, accel and release.

If you do it quickly (so quick you are almost shifting without clutch) it goes away. Don't know about tranny longevity though.

I'll check and try to write down how I do it when I pick up the bike from the dealer (hopefully today!)

·
1,738 Posts
Syn oil does reduce the clunk. Also quites the engine noises. Worth the cost for those for those reasons alone.

Fred

·
Registered
85 Posts
I seem to have a more pronounced clunk from 1st to 2nd after I switched to Syn3 at 1K service. (Might be my imagination because I ride my Road King when I'm not riding the V-Rod.)

Also notice that I can get it stuck between gears on down shifting once in a while, where I have to release and re-grab the clutch. It seems more apt to do it after riding a while.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the louder pipes idea. This seems to solve a lot of noises.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Did you get your stock pipes V-Modded, Karl?

BTW, that's the setup I'm currently running (stock V-Mods, K&N and download - top on). If anything I'd say it's just a tad rich - and I am strickly basing this on fuel mileage and the fact that the pipes are a bit black at the ends - but then again I am new to tuning so I might be way off. All in all though it runs good.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the se slip ons, SE filter and dealer flash. I think I am a bit rich as well, same reasons as you though, nothing scientific. Maybe taking the top off will help, but I posted once trying to figure out if I had the old top on only flash, or the newer top on or off flash, and I gor an inprecise response, so top has stayed on at the moment. Plus I would want to get come of that accumat to deaden the intake noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts