Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Are you interested in seeing more bar options

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have completely bit the bullet. I am not going to pay vmod a ton of money for their bars, I am not gonna swap to a d riser either. I have the HD drag bars which will be up for sell soon, although they are great bars. But I have decided to make a set of bars. I have the concept all ready to go and the process of getting some things machined should start this week. I am hoping that my first set of bars will be ready by next weekend (first weekend in sept.).

I am very confident that these will be great on the bike. I have to do some measuring and find what riser I will need for various designs, but all in all this should be short and sweet.

What I am wanting to know is if I can produce different style of bar options for the fellow A model owners at a good price point (definitely lower than vmod) what would be the interest in these? Are there enough people wanting to buy different bars to even think of producing these? I dont want to jump too far ahead but if these appeal to people I should be able to arrange for these to be powder coated or chromed as well. These bars will be stainless.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like I said, hopefully I will have some pics available within a week, and then I can resurect this thread. I hate to make it so early, but there have been many great ideas come on this forum all starting with a concept gauging interest.

I am definitly making a few sets for me alone, I will start out with 1 set right off the bat, but while at the machine shop I was gonna have them cut me more materials based on the idea alone that more people may be interested.

If no one cares I will just cut out enough to do a few sets and make myself several designs.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
if you could make a set of "T" bars (built in riser), that would be a direct replacement for the Softail/Sportster/Dyna type factory drag bar setup (flat drag bar, STRAIGHT 6" riser), I would GLADLY buy a set. There is not a single bar maker that offers this setup... they all have pullback risers and I do not want that and will not buy that.

I know, I'm reaching.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
if you could make a set of "T" bars (built in riser), that would be a direct replacement for the Softail/Sportster/Dyna type factory drag bar setup (flat drag bar, STRAIGHT 6" riser), I would GLADLY buy a set. There is not a single bar maker that offers this setup... they all have pullback risers and I do not want that and will not buy that.

I know, I'm reaching.
you want that style for the v? or are you wanting it for your aircooled toy?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my dad has the same thing but like you said with a slight pullback on his fatboy.. i think his may be a 7" riser though

his pullback, however, is pretty minor

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
would you only make them for a V-Rod? :D
LOL

well the way they will go together all the risers will be cut the exact length as the vrod A bars risers. Cant remember the exact length but they look like 5" risers. maybe they are 6" risers...LOL

I have a friend that took all the measurements to put some calculations into the computer

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
5" will work.... 7" will not.

The "rotation" of the bars on the risers is important... Wild One makes straight riser t-bars, albeit they are 8" and 10" tall, and rather dumb looking, but the bars are rotated on the risers for a front end with a lot of rake.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
I just whipped out the ruler... mine is 6"! From bottom of riser to centerline of bars is 6" and the riser is straight.

The VRSCA bars are 5" from bottom of riser to centerline of bar where they meet... the VRSCA risers are curved back.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
I just whipped out the ruler... mine is 6"! From bottom of riser to centerline of bars is 6" and the riser is straight.

The VRSCA bars are 5" from bottom of riser to centerline of bar where they meet... the VRSCA risers are curved back.
i thought the a bars were 5".. they also have a 1" pullback

I guess I will see what comes of this.. i still havent finalized materials or all of that. I am gonna do alot of research this weekend about where everything is going to come for and IF everything will come together or if I am just blowing smoke.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
I would be interested in bars. HOWEVER, I would want them to be compatible with the V-Gauge...most bars don't have enough clearance and when you turn the forks, the V-Gauge hits the airbox. :)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shurshot said:
Can't wait to see what you come up with! Might be interested as well. Good luck!
i apparently need all the luck i can get.. it has been a bitch tracking down everything i need just to put one set together

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
FWIW, 5" risers will work for me... also, in case you ever were wondering, yes, it is possible to take a set of H-D straight 6" risers, lop an inch off, drill, and tap hole to correct depth :)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
FWIW, 5" risers will work for me... also, in case you ever were wondering, yes, it is possible to take a set of H-D straight 6" risers, lop an inch off, drill, and tap hole to correct depth :)
i thought of that, the problem i thought I would have was where the bolt screws in at the bottom, if you cut off an inch do you lose the threaded part inside the bars?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
i thought of that, the problem i thought I would have was where the bolt screws in at the bottom, if you cut off an inch do you lose the threaded part inside the bars?

I should have been a bit more clear... these are the H-D straight 6" risers that are made from aluminum (cast). They come simply drilled and tapped in the bottom for the 1/2"-13 mount bolts... that's where the drilling and tapping part comes in... have to get the holes back to about 1.6" deep after chopping. My frickin' drill press looks like my kid's head (think: Shirley Temple)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
I should have been a bit more clear... these are the H-D straight 6" risers that are made from aluminum (cast). They come simply drilled and tapped in the bottom for the 1/2"-13 mount bolts... that's where the drilling and tapping part comes in... have to get the holes back to about 1.6" deep after chopping. My frickin' drill press looks like my kid's head (think: Shirley Temple)
ok I am following you 100% now... just some more questions about this

are you still able to use the A clamshell? I after looking at everything I would assume that the risers would need some kind of bend to come out of the clam shell in the right place

1 - 20 of 31 Posts