Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a WONDERFUL 140-mile ride!!! (Dan, the best 80 were for you.) Had to change the batteries midway in my excellent electric sox, but other than that, it was fabulous.

Something is weird with my gauges. The speedo seems is ok, but the tach is reading low. It stayed around 4100 rpm in 5th at 70mph and Max says it should be just above 5k. I had to take it up to about 82-83mph to get the tach to 5k.

I also seemed to be sucking down gas again. I haven't pulled the PCIIIr out to see if the map is somehow hosed up, but will do that tomorrow since it's going to "frozen mix" and start being winter again.

Now, with all this heated gear plugged into my battery, I've blown the fuse in the wiring for the jacket, etc. a few times, until we put in a 15 (amp - are these amps or what?) fuse. And I don't always remember to shut off the electric gear before I stop/start the bike, so I know I have an error code in there associated with that.

Is there a chance that this gear has done something to the tach and fuel gauge on the bike? Could a power surge or big drain change a PC map?

The entire driveway is free of ice and snow finally this afternoon -- now it's just a giant MUDBATH to get to the road. My poor bike!

Thanks for any insights,

Val

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Val, thanks a bunch for the miles. Hope you had a great time. I finally got my shocks back today and put them on, it will be up and moving soon!! I did ditch the afternoon from work though to enjoy the weather, only wish it had been on the rod.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
val 4100 should be about correct for 70mph, I am usually pushing over 5k but I like to cruise in the 90mph range.

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Val,

Seems you are in between what the 30T and 28T should be @ 70. I turn a little over 4200 @ 70 with the 28T and the 30T should turn a little under 4000 @ 70.

The gas issue is probably the result of the low temperatures. I noticed that if your mixture is even slightly rich @ 75 Degrees then at 50 the bike gets sluggish and drinks gas. The PCIII may be exasperating the situation.

Mark

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
Val,

I've also blown fuses for my heated equipment even with the 15 amp fuses. No impact to any guages. I always carry spares because I don't like being cold.

If you have a temperature controller, I turn it down to about 1/2 way. This seems to be the best setting. Keeps me warm and no blown fuses.

Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts