Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 05 VRod 2 weeks ago. While riding at 75 to 80 mph the gauges go dead and I lose all power and the engine light and battery light come on as it slows down the warning lights go off and everything comes back on. I took it to to dealer they checked the codes they said front coil low volt and battery low volt so the put two new coils and new battery and still has same problem so the put in a new ECM and no difference so they took it out I'm going to pick up the bike before I get any deeper with them.
Please help

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
I bought this 05 VRod 2 weeks ago. While riding at 75 to 80 mph the gauges go dead and I lose all power and the engine light and battery light come on as it slows down the warning lights go off and everything comes back on. I took it to to dealer they checked the codes they said front coil low volt and battery low volt so the put two new coils and new battery and still has same problem so the put in a new ECM and no difference so they took it out I'm going to pick up the bike before I get any deeper with them.
Please help
Did they check the charging output? Did it work ok briefly with the new battery or the same , right away? Did they replace the system relay? Sounds like this dealer is not the place to visit. Basic problem seems to be a low voltage condition, which will throw a code and the system relay might be heating up causing an electrical off/ on effect as it cools a bit. It will also recycle the ECM, giving giving power back to components but there won't be enough to start the bike up at this stage. This would point to a low battery voltage and charging failure. If it restarts alright, check all the grounds and swap out the system relay. Those are cheap.
Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just picked it up from the dealer it has a new battery charging sys is fine they say they checked all relays and grounds I'm going to check it all again. I had an hour ride home it still had the Sam problem but I found if rode real easy no hard accelerating it was for the most part ok but it started doing something a little different cruising at about 60 to 70 the check engine light will come on and it feels like the bike cuts to half power it doesn't turn off but no matter where I turn the accelerator to it just has minimal power and then all of sudden it'll come back on again I will check the things out you told me 2 tonight and I'll post tomorrow or later on tonight what I found if there's anything else you think I should check let me know I appreciate the help

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had some issues like that per se on my 07 X. Dealership said nothing was wrong. I just dealt with it for the rest of the time I owned it. I sold it in 16, buying it back this past February, and the guy who bought it started having issues just like yours. He got the stator changed out and didn’t have any issues with it since. Just something to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts