Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So I had this thread over in the model specific section, but it just dawned on me to post the question here.

Does any other bike use the same plug that the vrod uses for the gauge cluster. Or does anyone know of a direct or indirect compatibility.

I would like to swap out that gauge cluster for something more compact.... Something along these lines.

http://kosonorthamerica.com/product/tnt-01/

Not necessarily that particular gauge, but something like that. Then I found some direct plug ins as well and it got me thinking... something I do all too much.

Thanks as always for your help! :cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right.... but do any other HDS us the same plug? My guess is that the vrod is not the only one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dammit. I tried.

Does anyone have the pin order? So that I can see about matching that up to another gauge. I will probably just end up going with the Koso gauges because they are good price point.

I may e-mail the medallion people to see if they can wire one up for VRSC, they seem like a small/medium company and may be willing.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Does anyone have the pin order?
IM pin outs:
  1. BATTERY, R/O (red with orange stripe)
  2. HI BEAM, W (white)
  3. L TURN, V (violet)
  4. R TURN, BN (brown)
  5. GROUND, BK (black)
  6. IGNITION, GY (gray)
  7. SERIAL DATA, LGN/V (light green with violet stripe)
  8. VSS OUT, not used
  9. OIL PRESS, GN/Y (green with yellow stripe)
  10. NEUTRAL, TN (tan)
  11. FUEL LEVEL, Y/W (yellow with white stripe)
  12. ACCESSORY, O/W (orange with white stripe)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IM pin outs:
  1. BATTERY, R/O (red with orange stripe)
  2. HI BEAM, W (white)
  3. L TURN, V (violet)
  4. R TURN, BN (brown)
  5. GROUND, BK (black)
  6. IGNITION, GY (gray)
  7. SERIAL DATA, LGN/V (light green with violet stripe)
  8. VSS OUT, not used
  9. OIL PRESS, GN/Y (green with yellow stripe)
  10. NEUTRAL, TN (tan)
  11. FUEL LEVEL, Y/W (yellow with white stripe)
  12. ACCESSORY, O/W (orange with white stripe)
Holy crap!! Thanks man!!! You just made this piles easier. Do you HAPPEN to have a pic or wiring diagram. Oooor where you found it in the shop manual?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Holy crap!! Thanks man!!! You just made this piles easier. Do you HAPPEN to have a pic or wiring diagram. Oooor where you found it in the shop manual?

Thanks again!
This info is from the main wiring diagram. Here's a clipped image posted by DrHeathenScum:

Here's another image of the whole page I found on the web:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect man! Thanks again, I try to contact medallion first and see what they say.

If not I will go for that Koso guage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK here is where I am at.

Those medallion gauge people said the gauge is not comparable plus I didnt realize how expensive they are. I did not contact Koso yet, but I found a nifty Danmoto gauge that is small and very functional. Unfortunately it does not use the stock speedo wire, I would have to hook up a sensor. My concern about that stuff is I really don't want wires and sensors all over my bike. As it is the Vrod is a bit more cluttered than what I have seen on other harleys.

I have spotted Dakota Digital, they are direct wire in. The issue is they want $300 for the gauge and it's not quit the look I wanted. I was just going to ask around and see what your thoughts are before I go that direction. Thanks again for your help.

·
I fly lower now...
1,578 Posts
I put a Koso gauge on my 1994 Suzuki GSXR-1100. Slick and functional but very expensive!

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
Mromaus.
Be cautious the sensors on the V-Rod are calibrated for Metric output I believe. Most aftermarket gauges will only handle SAE or "Old School" sensor output. If the unit you choose is programmable then you probably will not encounter issues in this regard.
The problem became apparent when I installed a 2002 Road King Cruise Control kit on my V-Rod. It would not recognize the speed sensor output. I had to add a black box that converted V-Rod sensor output to "Old School" output.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up Rusty! I did E-mail the Dekota Digital people and they said it would direct wire. I know you like to travel, the idea is that I would like to get the guage and a GPS in the center of the handle bars under the headlight cowl.

I prefer the direct wire so its cleaner. Understandably I don't want even more wires all over the bike. Another plus about the DD guage is that the odometer is programmable. So the bike will still have the original mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts