Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I am the Stig.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil for the first time, and noticed there was no washer or gasket on the drain plug. This being a used bike, I want to make sure this is normal.

·
Agave Idiots :)
337 Posts
Yes, I believe this is normal. My Street Rod does not have one either and the parts book I have for the '06 "D" & "R" models does not list any type of gasket. Torque to 35Nm or 25.8 ft-lbs.

·
I am the Stig.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
When tightening that drain plug use the recommended torque value of 25.8 ft/lbs. The oil pan hole is real easy to strip. Not much metal in the oil pan to hold the plug.
After several years using a dealer for maintenance I decided to do it myself and discovered my oil pan hole for the drain plug was stripped and the plug wrapped with some type of goo to compensate for lack of threads.
I purchased a new oil pan and new drain plug. I found out if you finger tighten the plug you almost have the 25.8 ft/lbs. Just a 1/32 - 1/16 turn more at the most to secure.

In all actuality I use 25 ft/lbs.

·
I am the Stig.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When tightening that drain plug use the recommended torque value of 25.8 ft/lbs.
25.8...really...POINT EIGHT! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the info and advice...Ill set her home @ 25, and take my chances being short the .8 ft. lb. :D

·
I am the Stig.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you did say you were anal about your bike so .8 should be significant to you ??
Yes...that is true....I admit that I am, but I believe my 1/2 drive clicker torque wrench only does 5 ft. lb. increments. I have a 3/8 drive in. lb. as well...perhaps I can convert that one to cover it.

But seriously, theres a fine line between being anal and being realistic. I would bet most guys dont even use a torque wrench...I am normally fine leaving it "tight" by feel.

Regards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
25.8...really...POINT EIGHT! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the info and advice...Ill set her home @ 25, and take my chances being short the .8 ft. lb. :D
Yes, I believe this is normal. My Street Rod does not have one either and the parts book I have for the '06 "D" & "R" models does not list any type of gasket. Torque to 35Nm or 25.8 ft-lbs.
I just chaged oil in my 07 Street Rod. No gasket. Bike leaks a little oil. Now it's acting like a "real" Harley.

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
If it's leaking from the oil plug you either did not torque it sufficiently, you have stripped threads or debris on the threads is preventing it from sealing properly. V-Rods do not need a O-Ring for the oil plug.
Clean the plug and pan threads real well and go from there.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
One thing about the drain plug threads is it's not a full length engagement. Not sure what I snug it to but pretty sure the manual spec is too high for repeated oil changes. All I know is the damn thing always seems to be tighter then what I thought I snugged it too. A good metal to metal contact when the oil film is squeezed out on tightening grabs pretty good after. Pretty sure I'm nowhere near the 25'lbs. More like 16-18, similar to what a spark plug would be. Over the years, I've found some areas in the torque specs to be too high on fasteners that see a lot of r&r especially with aluminum threads, so given the option in range, I will use the low end value or use what I feel is right, based on life experiences for things like this drain plug.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
I have always used 25.x lbs torque and no problem in 185,000 miles. It's good to know I can use a lower value without it loosening up though. Better to be a little loose than a little too tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts