Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good way to remove exhaust gasket. They don't want to budge.
I am installing clutch cover gasket sould I use a gasket sealer like permatex or silicone on the gasket?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The exhaust gasket I can't say never removed any, never had a problem re-using them and the other gaskets put no sealer on at all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a set of O ring picks I use to dig out the seals... A lot of people leave them in, report no probs, leaks. Reused clutch gasket, leaked - bought new.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I haven't changed mine out, and I've taken the exhaust off some 4-5 times. I even changed headers to the ones mjw930 sent me with 02 bungs in them. I have a set of gaskets, incase they start to leak, but they haven't given me any greif yet. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I had to change mine as my front was leaking at MWT and was causing some decel pop. I used a small screwdriver and snagged it out.

·
The Hawk
3,803 Posts
:them: That is how I do it, use a small screw driver and slip it under the inner edge and pop it out. Just be carefull not to scratch the aluminum underneath the gasket. The gaskets are made of a soft powdered metal like substance that will change shape to fit your pipe and head mating surfaces.

Mike

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
rjrivero said:
I haven't changed mine out, and I've taken the exhaust off some 4-5 times. I even changed headers to the ones mjw930 sent me with 02 bungs in them. I have a set of gaskets, incase they start to leak, but they haven't given me any greif yet. FWIW.
I've replaced the gaskets everytime I put on a different exhaust.Each style/brand had a different flange that went into the head.$9 for some extra insurance against leaks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna leave them in as I only have 4k on the bike.
Should I use a gasket sealant on the clutch cover gasket?

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
aschem said:
Only sealant I ever put on was the alt cover gasket where the wires go through but I also have the old style cover and some on the cam cover gaskets.

·
orig member feb 2004
724 Posts
aschem said:
No it's a metal gasket that crush's,make sure to Torque them.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts