Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 R sprang a leak at the alternator cover in the vicinity of the spot where the wires exit the engine case. Looking at my 2007 parts manual, the exploded diagram shows the alternator cover has a gasket. Reading the service manual confirms there is a gasket and that the installation procedure requres the use of a pair of gasket locating pins. I'd do this myself except I have an extended warranty and removing and installing the alternator cover requires a special tool.
Today I called the dealer to ask about having the cover re-sealed and to order the necessary gasket. The dealer tells me their on-line literature says nothing about the alternator cover needing a gasket. True of false? Did Harley make a running change to delete this gasket? I have seen BMW do this and frankly I prefer black high temperature RTV sealant to a paper gasket any day. Does anyone have any hands on with this part of the bike? My guess is that the cast in grommet on the wire bundle has shrunk from age and heat allowing oil to leak (left a big puddle on the garage floor) and applying black RTV liberally around that grommet when re-sealing the cover will solve my problem.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Are they thinking you said Alt INSPECTION Cover in the center? The 06 had an alt cover gasket, the engine gasket kit has them.....

Did you give them a specific part number?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
It does have a gasket. It is a steel gasket. You can easily reuse it and replace without any special tools. Take the cover off and cleanup the area around the grommet. Goob the grommet up with Ultra Gray RTV and put it back together.

To make assembly easier I tack the gasket to the engine case with spots of the Ultra Gray to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have a gasket. It is a steel gasket. You can easily reuse it and replace without any special tools. Take the cover off and cleanup the area around the grommet. Goob the grommet up with Ultra Gray RTV and put it back together.

To make assembly easier I tack the gasket to the engine case with spots of the Ultra Gray to hold it in place.

Great information! Thanks.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts

:them:

Do it yourself and you won't have to take it back because it still leaks.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Let the dealer do it because they will replace the complete assembly and the gasket.It will only cost you $50.
Usually you can have the old part too.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Check the rest of the bike over for any other warranty items, then take it in. Only one $50 charge. Steel gaskets are often shims to set correct clearance.
Don't forget to pick up your replacement bike while your is under repair.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Check the rest of the bike over for any other warranty items, then take it in. Only one $50 charge. Steel gaskets are often shims to set correct clearance.
Don't forget to pick up your replacement bike while your is under repair.
The after factory warranty will only give a loaner if the bike is your only mode of transportation.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the dealer back and they agreed there is a gasket, and they even have two of them in stock. It'll be fixed next Saturday. Usanigel, I do indeed have another warranty fix for them to do, but thanks for the suggestion. The coolant fill pipe is chewing into the fuse box. We'll get that taken care of too.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Factory Guy
244 Posts

I'm making this same oil leak reapir to my '06 R this weekend. That's a great tip for holding the gasket in place. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
To hold that gasket in place I got some overly long bolts and cut the heads off. I screw these long bolts into several places around the perimeter then install the gasket and cover. Then I remove the modified bolts and secure it with the original OEM bolts.

Got this trick from ElrodontheV-rod. Thanks AL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts