Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use anything other than premium (92 octane) gas in their bike? If so, how does it run? Gas prices are killing me in my state, but I am still running on 92 because I do not want to mess the bike up.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I tend to use standard fuel in the DX, which over here is 95 RON.
I use higher octane in the Sporty - 98 RON.

You guys should try paying the prices we pay.
It is about to hit £1/litre - $3.8/US Gallon

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Bacon said:
Anyone use anything other than premium (92 octane) gas in their bike? If so, how does it run? Gas prices are killing me in my state, but I am still running on 92 because I do not want to mess the bike up.
Stick to 91 octane and above. No need for octane boost. I would not recommend it! You get no added performance from it on a stock or even mildly modified bike.
The_Apprentice said:

We are not far behind. 92 octane here is around $3.35 a gallon.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
The_Apprentice said:

We're right there with ya in Michigan. 92 Octane here is $3.60/gallon.

·
Registered
276 Posts
guys this has over 11 to 1 compression. use anything lower at your own peril.:spank:

1,501 Posts
I use V-Power (99ron) it makes a big difference on things like my Vespa, it is supposed to give you better mileage. I would never put cheap supermarket crap in any of my vehicles and it was shown in a test over here to give quite a bit of increased HP (although that was in cars).

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
We're stuck with nothing higher than 90 octane(I use 90) here in Alaska......should I be using an octane booster?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used regular (87 octane) and didn't find much difference.

But after considering the price difference with premium (92 octane) is 20 cents a gallon, that's less than $1 per fill-up (a lot less with older smaller tanks).

For that amount, why not stick with premium and skip the extra big mac?

·
A Beautiful Country
181 Posts
I use Premiun 92 octane when I cannot get anything else. For a bit of a treat I like to fill it up with Torco Racing fuel 110 octane. The price hurts, but what the hell.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
surfing the cornfields of iowa, i try to use the highest octane i can. 91, 92, 93 I also try not to buy fuel with ethanol, just for the simple fact, i paid for the corn 2 times already between the farmer subsidy, the ethanol plant subsidy. Never would stop at a BP, before the DX, now i seek then out for their high octane dedicated pump lines.

·
George
5,411 Posts
bigjim50010 said:
surfing the cornfields of iowa, i try to use the highest octane i can. 91, 92, 93 I also try not to buy fuel with ethanol, just for the simple fact, i paid for the corn 2 times already between the farmer subsidy, the ethanol plant subsidy. Never would stop at a BP, before the DX, now i seek then out for their high octane dedicated pump lines.
I just hate the thought that I'm paying for premium and have to run a half gallon of regular left in the hose from the last goober into my bike! Do all BP's have dedicated "premium" hoses?

·
Whig party
32 Posts
Interesting

So who thinks they are smarter than the guy that built the bike and wrote the owners manual? I'm sure they have Nooooo idea what they are talking about with octane levels. Whatever the book says I would do the opposite. The more people ignore the break in procedures and other trivia in the book will help those of us who do increase the value of our bikes since fewer will be tearing up the streets. Hoooray!:soapbox:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would not use the ethanol-blended gas for two reasons. (Here comes a chemistry lesson) I don't trust it because ethanol is "polar" and does not mix 100% with all petroleum products. Also, think of this: you would need about 2.5 times the amount of pure ethanol injected into a cylinder to keep the same air/fuel ratio. In other words, you get more "bang per liter" with non-ethanol blended gas.

As for octane, higher octane does NOT make more power...it allows more power to be made safely. It sounds subtle, but it is a big difference. So if the weather is cool outside, you're at a low altitude (bike is running a bit richer), and you are not pushing your bike hard, low octane is no different than high octane. Being in the opposite situation (i.e. pushing your bike really hard in hot weather at higher altitude and having it tuned a little on the lean side), using low octane will very likely cause detonation in the cylinders, which is very hard on the motor and can be fatal to it.

After all this rambling, I use 92 octane (non-ethanol blended)...just because it safer...and that's why the manual says you should use it. It covers everyone in every "stock" situation.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
EdmontonVRSCDX said:
.................. using low octane will very likely cause detonation in the cylinders ...............
Isn't that what petrol/gas is supposed to do ;)

Sorry, but much as I tried I could not resist that. :spank:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Bacon said:

Run as high an octane as you can, wouldn't suggest any lower than 94. We have 110 available here - $5.99gl.The revolution was made to run high-test pump gas only. Different grades have different amounts of oxygen and subsequently different burn rates. Lower grades actually make more HP, but in motors with much less compression than a Vrod - 11.1 to 3. Different motors have different pistons and head configurations designed for a specific burn rate and amounts of oxygen in the gas.
Hey, you bought a 100some HP V-Rod, run high test! I would imagine using a low grade would be a wash as the performance suffers so does the mileage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
Isn't that what petrol/gas is supposed to do ;)

Sorry, but much as I tried I could not resist that. :spank:
Detonation occurs after the plug has fired and is very bad for the engine or cylinders. Detonation is the pinging you hear when you use too low an octane fuel this is why in aviation they always recomend using the next highest octane fuel never a lower one when you can't get the recommended octane for your airplane engine. Detonation can destory your pistons and rings and can lead to bearing failure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts