Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend had his new 03 in for it's 1000 mile service recently and mentioned to the service writer the strong odor of gas in his oil. When I asked him what they said this is what I got back. This dealer said it had to do with the can cover gaskets. He also faxed me the work order w/ the part #s for the cam cover gaskets. below was his email to me whan I asked what they said to him.

I took the bike to the dealer when I first got it to have the 1000 mile service done. It was then that they told me about replacing the gaskets and that it has been a problem on some V-Rods. They would not own up to any type of recall. Typical American manufacturer.

·
V-Rod Addict
271 Posts
I too noticed the gas smell at the 1000 mile check-up but haven't had the problem again (over 3000 miles now). It must be something with the seating of seals or something.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKIE,

If we knew the cause we could have it fixed. :spank: This is just the latest info,

OKIE said:
Can someone explain the cause of this problem? It seems to be a problem for ALOT of v-rods. Has anyone had the problem fixed?

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
greenham said:
OKIE,

If we knew the cause we could have it fixed. :spank: This is just the latest info,
The question was directed to some of our more technical members and what they beleive the problem may be. :spank:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick search of the forum and i think you will see NO ONE KNOWS !!!! :bash:

OKIE said:
The question was directed to some of our more technical members and what they beleive the problem may be. :spank:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I noticed it too, and it went hand in hand with increased oil usage and leaky seals. All that was fixed at the 2500 service, under warranty. No problems since... maybe a preakin thing like most are speculating?

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
:rolleyes: I did a quick search of the forum "gas in oil" it won't come up. Words too short and common. Tried it a few times before posting.
We have new members every day "some of them are techs". I was just trying to tap into some new tech heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts