Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own an 07 DX...i just installed rineharts 2:2, PCIII and SE filter...while installing the filter i noticed some residue in the airbox...just thinking it was oil from the foam seal on the bottom of the stock filter...didn't pay any much thought of it....put it all together...rode it today and it ran fine...then my bike stalled 2 times today(one after a quick acceleration and the other after a decel with the clutch engaged for a turn)....smelled gas generally around the lower left side of the motor....checked the oil...smelled much like gas....then decided to check the airbox( a little more residue... and then looked down to the valves....my right side on both cylinders were covered in grime .....What might i be looking at?
This is my 2nd HD...fist one was an 03 lowrider (Carb)...no issues...i'm learning as quickly as i can within my limits on this new bike I'm no motorhead so any info/advice will be greatly appreciated...(i have about 1300 miles on it and it was serviced at the HD shop...they said everything was fine....

thanks
leg475

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
You only have 2 pistons. Not a right and left in the front and rear. What you are most likely seeing is the backside of the intake valves. The intake valves will have a coating on them as the oil mist from the crankcase breathers enter the airbox and get sucked into the engine.

Do a search for stalling and you will find TONS of info on it.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
leg475 said:
i own an 07 DX...i just installed rineharts 2:2, PCIII and SE filter...while installing the filter i noticed some residue in the airbox...just thinking it was oil from the foam seal on the bottom of the stock filter...didn't pay any much thought of it....put it all together...rode it today and it ran fine...then my bike stalled 2 times today(one after a quick acceleration and the other after a decel with the clutch engaged for a turn)....smelled gas generally around the lower left side of the motor....checked the oil...smelled much like gas....then decided to check the airbox( a little more residue... and then looked down to the pistons....my right side pistons on both cylinders were covered in grime and the left ones were clean as a whistle...like the bike has never been started.....What might i be looking at?
This is my 2nd HD...fist one was an 03 lowrider (Carb)...no issues...i'm learning as quickly as i can within my limits on this new bike I'm no motorhead so any info/advice will be greatly appreciated...(i have about 1300 miles on it and it was serviced at the HD shop...they said everything was fine....

thanks
leg475
Right side and left side pistons? You do know you only have 2 pistons right, they are front and rear. Did you mean valves? If so the clean ones were probably intake and the dirty ones were probably the exhaust, if so that is normal. If you smell gas in the oil and you had stalling the culprit is the PCIII most likely, I have SERT so I am not much help with the Power Commander but there are plenty here that can help you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL....oopps...glad you guys caught that ....i edited it all....my black hair is turning blonde at the moment...proofing what you write is always a good idea....especially now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
valves this time

back to the valves...is it normal to have a light coating, I have a very thick black coating on the intake...

thanks for your replies...just never had to deal with any of this before..

leg

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
your settings on the PC might be to rich!, if you do a search you will find alot of info about gas in oil!

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
DTHDOC said:
your settings on the PC might be to rich!, if you do a search you will find alot of info about gas in oil!

Lets start by finding out what pipes and what map you are running in the PC???

Also, 2007 would seem to be a bit soon for the buildup on the valves, but it has been known to happen over time. Many here on the forums report that using some fuel system cleaner additive such as the GM one cleans the top end up nicely. Just use the correct amount on a fill up for a day that you know you will be using the whole tank full of gas. I believe you do not want to let it set in the system for a length of time.

The gas in the oil smell is very very common and nothing to worry about. Short trips without letting the bike get to full temp for any length of time add to this as I am told. It will eventually go away as it takes a longer time for the rings to fully seat on a V-Rod and the gas is seeping past the unseated rings. Running too rich can magnify this a tad.

Gary

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It is normal to get fuel deposits on the back sides of the intake valves on these engines. The injectors spray above the valves and it can puddle on them and cause the carbon buildup you see. A little top engine cleaner from time to time is good to clean them up but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Fuel in the oil smell seems pretty normal for the first 5-10k miles as the rings most likely have not seated good yet and your map may be a little rich. If you do a lot of cold starts and don't do a lot of longer trips it will make this matter worse as cold starts are really rich.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Max, what's the name of the GM brand top end cleaner you guys mention here from time to time?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
Max, what's the name of the GM brand top end cleaner you guys mention here from time to time?
It's called top engine cleaner. We use it to de-carbon pistons and valves all the time. The 5.3 and 6.0 have had problems with some fuels and they carbon up enough that they cause a cold start knock. We use the cleaner and let it soak and it takes care of the issue for about 30k miles. They say it is a fuel problem and we only see on some engines and not all of them so it would make sense.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Max said:
It's called top engine cleaner. We use it to de-carbon pistons and valves all the time. The 5.3 and 6.0 have had problems with some fuels and they carbon up enough that they cause a cold start knock. We use the cleaner and let it soak and it takes care of the issue for about 30k miles. They say it is a fuel problem and we only see on some engines and not all of them so it would make sense.
Max,

Thank you sir.

I do know for the Chevy Silverado that there is a recall on the flexfuel motor's ecm flash. It is only an issue if they run or plan to run E85 in the 5.3L motors, which I have in my 2007 Silverado. I just got the letter on it yesterday.

Later
Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts