Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gas gauge problem where I cannot trust my gas gauge. I read about someone else having this problem, but his bike was under warrantee and had it fixed. The warrantee on my bike has long since past.

Does anyone know what is involved to fix this problem? How much would it cost to get done at the shop without a warentee? Can anyone think of any problems NOT fixing this gas guage could cause (aside from being stuck without gas)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

- Bruzer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
John,

The gas gauge will show empty after a random and unpredictable number of miles. I have seen it go to "E" after 24 miles, and then rebound to 1/2 full many miles later. The first time it happened I thought I was losing gas somewhere, but found that the gauge was just messed up. Now I use my trip mileage to figure out my range. The gas gauge usually starts at full and goes up and down through out the trip. The bike has no other problems, no power loss nothing to indicate there are any problems with the gas pressure or anything.

I read something about this on another forum, but the guy got his fixed with warrantee, I don't have any left.

I basically want to know the work involved in fixing the problem to see if I can do it myself. If I can't do it myself, I want to know how much it cost someone else to have it done so I have something to compare against my dealership prices. My dealership doesn't treat me like they used to when I was buying the bike. They figure they have done their part, now they seem to nickle and dime me to death. My 10,000 mile service was their "first V-Rod" and the bill reflected their inexperience. Now I really don't want to go back for my 15,000 mile check up.

Thanks for any help the forum members can offer.

- Bruzer

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Bruzer it is the sender itself that goes bad on them. I'm not sure if you can purchase just the sensor by itself or if you have to buy the entire tank meter to repair this problem.

Changing the meter unit is very simple but requires a tank meter tool (4 inch piece of aluminum or pcv tubing with grooves cut will work) . With the tool it is a 30 minute job including beer drinking.

Max

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just noticed the same topic in the Problems forum. Fuel unit

Apparently I am not the only person having this problem. Still no word on how much it costs to fix out of warrantee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem

Bruzer: I have the same problem have not tried to fix it However i do set my milege and use that as a guide to when I'm about to run out of gas. I usually get about 130 m. on a 3.7 gal tank, on the safe side. Hope this helps. DC HAwk

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This thread is over 6 years old.Bruzer hasn't posted in 5 years.

dchawk,if your gauge reads eratic,try using concentrated fuel injector cleaner in your tank.Pour a whole bottle in the tank.I use the stuff that treats 20 gallns.it will not harm anything doing this.It cleans the resistor strip at the sender and keeps the gauge working.
If the build up is to great on yours,you will need to remove the sender and carefully clean the strip with scotch brite.
I have an 03 that I use the cleaner poured into the tank and my gauge works accurately.I do this about every 20 tanks of gas.

This procedure will not work on 07 and newer V-Rods.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just had my bike stored over the winter with sea foam in tank and gauge still does not work on my 02. Maybe it will take some time who knows.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have an 07 dx. my sender has been replaced twice. cost for part was arou nd 77 dollars. still goes crazy.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Mine works well! '04B.:hidesbeh:

Worked erratically for the first 9k miles. Fine for the last 8k.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
I think Harley should at least disclose that this is a common problem if they don't plan on finding a fix for it. I knew it was a problem before I bought the bike because of this forum. So I kinda new what I was getting in to. I have tried it all sea foam, marvel mystery oil, and other random crap. Nothing works! just get used to using your trip meter.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
there is a fix for the earlier model V fuel gauges. Couple members have threads on it. The first one was "steppenwolf" (RIP)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts