Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hade this bike a week so bare with me but this has happend twice so i had to ask. Fuel light came on and by the time i pulled in to the station i was on E but still running. But when i filled up it would only take 1.4 gallons of gas. Granted i am new to this bike so i am probably on the throttle a bit but the math still doesnt add up it should take way more fuel than this from E obviously. There are V&H pipes on her and not sure about a tuner of any kind since i just bought her. Any ideas for a new vrod guy would be appreciated kinda scrathing my head on this one 1.4 gallon fillup from E makes no sense.

Thanks Brett

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Welcome to V-Rod ownership! :D

Use your odometer instead of your gauge.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I thought after reading alot here,the low fuel LIGHT was accurate,but just the gauges were off....so the light is also wrong?

also,if anyone can tell me approx how far a 5 gallon tank will go on ODO that will help me...Ive read alot about poor gauges,i cannot believe they cant make a gauge that works...wow.

Dan

·
Scott
492 Posts
to bbrets ?: 80 miles city - 120 max highway

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,090 Posts
I ran the tank dry this weekend at 112mi (3.7 gal tank).... I used my reserve (MSR fuel can) to get to the next gas station.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just had mine fixed

Took 3 weeks but it works great. Always count the miles:cuckoo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the ballpark on milage. Whats got me wondering about it all though is even when the low fuel light comes on and i pull in to fuel it up it will only take 1.4 gallons on a 3.7 gallon tank makes no sense to me. Guess i will have to watch to odo a little closer next ride.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
I thought after reading alot here,the low fuel LIGHT was accurate,but just the gauges were off....so the light is also wrong?

also,if anyone can tell me approx how far a 5 gallon tank will go on ODO that will help me...Ive read alot about poor gauges,i cannot believe they cant make a gauge that works...wow.

Dan
The light and gauge use the same sensor: linear resistor with float slider on '02 through '06, and a sonar/time of flight sensor for '07. The resistor/float sensor is subject to corrosion from fuel additives and contaminants that will hinder float movement and affect resistance readings. The sonar sensor is having it's own batch of problems.

Driving range depends on how you ride. Like any powered vehicle: the more you use the brakes, the more fuel you'll use. There are several other factors that use excess fuel: e.g. wind resistance from accessories, brake drag, altering fuel mixture with the SERT or other fuel modifiers. A VRSCA with windshield and saddlebags can get 45 MPG (or slightly more) at reasonable highway speeds and not be harming the engine with a lean burn. This will allow 200 miles before filling (about 4.5 gallons used) with one of the 5 gallon tanks. The gauge will be showing empty by that time even if the sensor is functioning properly. City mileage is likely to drop significantly: 30 to 35 MPG is not uncommon.

·
Scott
492 Posts
brettb said:
thanks for the ballpark on milage. Whats got me wondering about it all though is even when the low fuel light comes on and i pull in to fuel it up it will only take 1.4 gallons on a 3.7 gallon tank makes no sense to me. Guess i will have to watch to odo a little closer next ride.
Brett...here's a stupid question (because you're new so please don't take offense): regarding the 1.4 gallons...you did pull the gas pump nozzle out of the tank (so it didn't automatically shut off) and eyeballed the filling of the tank to the opening rim, right?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
you will never get 3.7 gallons into your tank even with running out

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i usually go around 170-180 miles before refilling in my 07 aw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts