Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like the dummy I am - I finally managed to run the V-Rod out of gas this morning.

The good news is, nothing got damaged, I didn't get hurt, and I was only stuck by the side of the road for a couple of minutes. Fortunately my girlfriend was driving to work a couple of minutes behind me, so I called her on the cel-phone, she stopped, and we drove to a gas station (where I had to pay $8 for a plastic gas can). Drove back to the V-Rod - poured in 2 gallons and away I went.

How did this end up happening? Last evening my gas gauge was pretty low - I had meant to stop and refuel last night - but being cold out I had my overpants on, and my wallet was in my pants pocket underneath. Retrieving the wallet from under there means doing a weird looking jig with my hands jammed in my pants, and like a fool I didn't feel like doing this in front of homegoing commuters.

So I risked it and headed off this morning, only 4 miles to the gas station- Bad idea! With 108 miles on the trip meter I suddenly felt the V-Rod miss and lose power - and the next thing I knew I was coasting. I put the clutch in and coasted to a stop. Being cold out, it took me a little while to find neutral with a dead engine.

Normally I can get more than 108 miles from a tank of gas - but I think that with the cold weather we've had fuel economy is pretty bad till the engine warms up. So - for all of you who feel tempted to try and "push" the fuel gauge - Don't do it. When the needle says its empty - its empty!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Glad to hear that no damage was done and that you weren't stuck long. I have pushed mine to 120 miles more then once and usually holds about 3.2 gallons at that point.

Max

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
What's the most ever put in?

The spec sheet says 3.7 gallons, but what is the most anyone has ever put into the tank, after running it dry or near dry?

I've gotten 5.3 gallons into my 5.3 gallon FXSTC tank, and 2.3 gallons into my 2.2 gallon sporty tank.

Does the V-rod really hold 3.7?

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Good news on that one! I've gone 113 miles with 2.8 gallons to fill it back up. I always use the trip odometer. I don't trust fuel gauges.

I've heard bad stories about Harleys running out of gas with fuel injection. The gas pump is in the tank and the potenial to 'smoke' the pump exists because there is NO lubricate (gas)! I wonder how true that is? Anybody know?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
oldhd that is true of any fuel injected car that uses an intank pump. The fuel is not only the lub but also works as coolant for the pump that spins very fast. Many that run out of fuel never start until they get new pumps.

Max

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I ran it out on purpose a few months ago just to see (yes, I know - don't try this at home).

It stopped at 128 miles going uphill and took 3.1 gal to fill-up. But I'd put in some from a bottle we carried to get it to the gas station.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
If that is true for 'cars' then it must be true for V-Rods and Road King Classics because they both have their fuel pumps in the tanks, right?:confused:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
That is correct.

·
1,738 Posts
I usuallyl fill at 100-110 mile and it ususally takes 2.7 gallons or so. This would leave 1 gallon if the tank really holds 3.7 gallons. If you get 37 MPG (100/2.7 gal) this would give you a range or 137 miles to empty. Personally would not want to test it. How much gas should be left in a tank to cool the pump? .5 gallons?? If so that would mean that depending on riding style, that between 120 and 128 miles you better fill up.

I start looking for a gas station when the low fuel light comes on, and start to panic when the fuel gauge hits zero or the trip odometer hits 120.

I normally carry a 32 oz white gas bottle on long trips, but did not do so on a ride around Mr Rainier in early September. Had to back track to get fuel as the next town was just beyond what I estimated remained in the tank, and I had passed up the chance to top off 30 miles back. Damn inconvenient. I was riding with a friend on a Fat Boy and he was a little upset as he had pleanty of fuel remaining.

Touring with a V-Rod does make you pay attention to distances between towns.

Fred

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
V-Fred:

In the past my experience has been pretty similar to yours - gas light comes on at around 75 - 80 miles, fill up at 100 - 110, and put in just over 3 gallons.

Like a lot of folks I've learned to not totally trust the gas gauge - and to rely more on the trip odometer. But I really think that starting the V-Rod in cold weather (it was in the low 30s this morning and last night) plays havoc with the fuel consumption. In this instance, I should have paid more attention to the fact that the light came on early, and not been such a darn fool. I know that riding style has a lot to do with fuel economy - and I havent been riding any different than I normally do - but we should remember that there are other factors that come into the equation - like ambient temperature.

Hopefully I won't come away with anything worse than a bruised ego from this experience (although I'll be real mad at myself if I end up with a bum fuel pump in the next few months.) Incidentally, once it became apparent that the bike was missing due to fuel starvation I immediately hit the "kill" switch - hopefully this also turns off the fuel pump, so it was not grinding away on an empty tank.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
V-Fred,
Reading these 'gas' post makes me want to re-think using the V-Rod for touring. I so like the idea of filling up my Road King Classic and let the road take me wherever. Such turmoil, the V-rod is so much fun but the Road King is so very practical.
Fred

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
By the way, my warning light clicks on around 88 miles and then the whole gas gauge starts to glow bright red around 105 miles! Kinda neat!:D

·
1,738 Posts
oldhd: Sounds like regular light show starting at 90 miles or so, never noticed the red glow. Is that new for 2004, or am I not paying attention?

Agree the Road King is more practical, but the V-Rod is more fun, even on long hauls. I put 6,000 miles on mine this summer and loved every minute. Stoping for gas every 100 miles is a small price to pay.

Fred

PS: nice to see another Fred on the forum. How old is old, I am 58 on Sunday, and I think Daniii is same age. Oldlawn, and several others of same era. What is it about the Rod that is attracting us old Pharts. We are not the demographic HD is trying to attract.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
You guy are Just Cool like us Young Bucks!;) You also know a good thing when you see it,and ride it!:diablo:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
V-Fred : I was 58 in September. Didn't beat you by much. Us pre-boomers are just showing the younger set the way its done.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
V-Fred,
I'm 55 and I believe Daniii is 58 like you. Maybe Kaz is right. We old 'pharts' are kewl! HAHAHAHA!!!

I never really cared much about the V-Rod when it first debuted. I was a typical Harley rider and poo pooed the non-traditional look and sound of the V-Rod. But then I saw this new '04 V-Rod done in all black and the sound of those V-Modded mufflers made me say "you only live once, GO FOR IT!' :D

I can retire next year and plan on doing a lot of touring. I'm torn between 52 miles per gallon on the Road King Classic and the 40 MPG (if I'm lucky) on the V-Rod. Touring wise that's 250 miles versus 120 miles and we have a BIG country! Your right though, the V-Rod is nothing but FUN!!!!!!

Fred

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
V-Fred,
I'm not sure about the gas gauge glowing red after 105 miles or so. Maybe it is only a '04 thing. Anybody else see the 'red glow' when the gas get really low?
Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Other OldPharts: If Kaz says it, it has to be correct. We are cutting edge.

oldhd: You know my reaction was the same to the V-Rod when it first came out. I was impressed, but felt the styling was too "out there" for my age. When it was time this year to get back into riding, I considered practically every sport bike out there capable of touring (Duc ST4S, BMW 1200GT, Honda STS1300, etc) and most of the baggers. After demoing a Road King and Heritage Softail one day, I asked the dealer if I could ride the V-Rod. It put a smile on my face that other bikes did not. However, like you I did not seriously consider it until I happened on my painted bike (it was a 700 mile rich mans trade in on a Carbon Fiber V-Rod). Suddenly I was dealing on it, and 6000 miles later the smile is still there.

The Rod may have its negatives, but they are few and can be changed or lived with. I find that 600 mile days are a piece of cake with the Touring shield and Sundowner seat. It will be interesting to see if you pick the V-Rod or the bagger for long hauls.

FYI, I was mighty impressed by the 04 CVO Electraglide, but not $34,000 impressed (local dealer price). However, perhaps they would sell one for MSRP, and a bagger and the V-Rod would be nice........whoops need to save for retirement.

Fred

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
V-Fred,
600 mile days on a V-Rod is encouraging. The roads I like to take, especially out west, are the kind that have over a hundred miles on them between towns (fill ups). You experience the most of what life has to offer on these roads. I would hate to stick to the main highways when touring to keep the V-Rod satisfied. What do you do? What do other people do when touring?:confused:
Fred

1 - 20 of 37 Posts