Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several members have asked me about this, so I figured I would do a "How To". This is using a standard Sears garage door opener, but it should be the same no matter what you have with the only difference being where you have to solder on the remote circuit board. On the Sears remote I'm assuming you are using the large button to open the garage. The switch on the cicuit board is labeled #3 on the oposite side from where we will be soldering. In the attached photo I labeled the two points to solder. Just solder a wire to each joint making sure not to allow any solder to touch other circuits on the board. Once you have soldered the wires notch the plastic case from the remote to allow the wires to exit the case once you put it back together. You can mount the remote anywhere that's convienent. I put mine on top of my gas tank where the factory siren would be, but the airbox or somewhere else would be just as good. Now all you have to do it take the wires and attach them to a switch. You want a momentary switch if possible, but you can also use a toggle switch. if you use a toggle switch you will just have to remember to shut the switch off once the garage opens. I have the HD auxilary switch housing on my handlebars and one of the switches is hooked up to the garage remote. It works great for me. You can get switches at Radio Shack or just about any auto parts store for a couple of bucks. Just make sure it's a simple on/off switch with two wires.

Attachments

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
That's it, I'm going to do this. I'm sick of fumbling in my pocket for the remote. Gonna get the HD switch too so it doesn't look cheap. Thanks for the great post Mike.
I believe the HD part numbers are 70255-02B for the left side and/or 70213-02B for the right side switch housing, while the switch is 71718-02.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Thanks Chromo

Thanks for the idea Mike. I have been wanting to do something along these lines for awhile now, but really couldnt figure out where to put the remote so it was accessible. I didnt go the HD accessory switch route though.
I did buy an extra remote for my garage door and soldered some wires in it and ran the wires to a mini-switch that I mounted under the clamshell. I velcroed the remote to the top of the fuse box behind the airbox. Its hidden from sight unless you are looking for it and it works great. After coming home this evening, it was kind of cool to not have to stop the bike in the driveway, just straight to the garage.

View attachment 87522 View attachment 87523

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep it's a great little mod. You can use any type of momentary switch you want and mount it just about anywhere on the bike. I chose the HD aux switches since I needed the extra switches for other stuff.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Hey mike, I did the same thing on my R1 a few years back.. i took apart my remote, soldered at the connections to replicate the circuit when the button is pushed.

Something I did different though... I wired a relay to my horn button so when I hit the horn button it closed my circuit. All I do on my R1 is pull up to the garage, toot the horn really quick and it opens right up! No need for and external button!

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
I bought the HD one that you toggle the hi lo headlight switch and it opens the door. You can also program it for two bikes......I love it!!!!!

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VenomousSVT said:
Hey mike, I did the same thing on my R1 a few years back.. i took apart my remote, soldered at the connections to replicate the circuit when the button is pushed.

Something I did different though... I wired a relay to my horn button so when I hit the horn button it closed my circuit. All I do on my R1 is pull up to the garage, toot the horn really quick and it opens right up! No need for and external button!

The only problem there is coming home late at night or early in the morning I don't want to be tooting my horn. I try to be considerate of my neighbors. Plus my wife would be pissed. :)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
The only problem there is coming home late at night or early in the morning I don't want to be tooting my horn. I try to be considerate of my neighbors. Plus my wife would be pissed. :)
haha good point, the vrod horn is way louder than my measly toot from the R1

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Ghetto answer

After removing my ignition, I had a lil extra room so hello velcro! no solder, no wires, no buttons in view, and completely removable in a second. so its a little ghetto, Its nice when I can cut the engine half mile away and drift into an open garage at 0200hrs.

Attachments

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
CJHolcomb77 said:
After removing my ignition, I had a lil extra room so hello velcro! no solder, no wires, no buttons in view, and completely removable in a second. so its a little ghetto, Its nice when I can cut the engine half mile away and drift into an open garage at 0200hrs.
:notworth: hahahaha
thats pretty damn cool!:angeldev:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts