Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been riding bikes for about 12 years now. My first bike was a Honda F4i, second is currently a Yamaha FZ1.

I went to a larger naked bike mainly for comfortability but still have a rough time with 300+ mile stretches. Legs too cramped and aches in the arms and rear-end. So I have been looking into the V-Rod big time lately. Also have noticed the price has dropped on this years upcoming models.

I guess what I'd like to ask is how does the V-Rod handle in real world conditions? All the reviews I've read on them say you really have to work to make them turn. Are they comparing this to a streetbike, or to other HD's?

I really would appreciate any feedback, especially any that have made the transition from a FZ1 or other foreign liter bikes. I either drop another 3k on trying to make the FZ1 maybe work for me, or put the $$ somewhere else.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been riding bikes for about 12 years now. My first bike was a Honda F4i, second is currently a Yamaha FZ1.

I went to a larger naked bike mainly for comfortability but still have a rough time with 300+ mile stretches. Legs too cramped and aches in the arms and rear-end. So I have been looking into the V-Rod big time lately. Also have noticed the price has dropped on this years upcoming models.

I guess what I'd like to ask is how does the V-Rod handle in real world conditions? All the reviews I've read on them say you really have to work to make them turn. Are they comparing this to a streetbike, or to other HD's?

I really would appreciate any feedback, especially any that have made the transition from a FZ1 or other foreign liter bikes. I either drop another 3k on trying to make the FZ1 maybe work for me, or put the $$ somewhere else.

Thanks for your time!
At slow speed it can feel a little... heavy. When you are up and running, I think the V Rod is very agile.

edit to add: FWIW, I have next to no riding time logged on a sport bike

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Welcome If you can Take one for a Rental for the weekend or at least a full day. I think you will be surprised at how nice they handle. They are No Sportsbike but are as close as you can get with a very nice comfort level you can't get on tem.

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
Welcome If you can Take one for a Rental for the weekend or at least a full day. I think you will be surprised at how nice they handle. They are No Sportsbike but are as close as you can get with a very nice comfort level you can't get on tem.
X2 :them:

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
You are going to think it's a dog compared to your crotcher, but it's way way faster and handles a ton better than any other HD.
It's a "Power Cruiser" not a sport bike, but it's fast compared to similar bikes, even ones with way bigger engines. Plus they are absolutely beautiful machines, not the same V-Twin designs that have been around for 50 years that even the Jap bikes copy.
I'd second the suggestion to rent one for a day and see if it's the bike for you.

I'd also say that if you are into modding your bikes, then consider getting a used V-Rod. The engines are bulletproof and used ones are going pretty cheap - more $ for mods!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 06 Nightrod with mid controls. The bike I sold to get my Vrod was a Yamaha FJR1300. The FJR is a great bike, it depends on what type of riding you want to do. I had many sport bikes, but as we get a little older our priority changes too. I can honestly say my Nightrod does everything I want, from cruising to touring. I wanted the mid controls, being used to that position from my other bikes. My Nightrod is the best bike I have owned to date and a blast to ride.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
once you rip off the Dunlop tires and install Metz, Avon, or Pirellis, these bikes (even the 240 versions) readily lay into the turns. Nowhere near as well as a sport tourer or sportbike, but very nicely. The best handling V for the twisties would be the VRSCR, but all the Vs do a quality job getting through the turns aggressively.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts

Thanks for your time!
Not sure who and why regarding the turn comments but it's definitely not the same as a short wheel base as you are used to.
The V is a hole shot machine, long and stable with a 30 some degree rake much like a drag bike. It may take you some time to get comfortable, but give it that time before you judge. YOU will have to learn what the bike needs and it can't be done on a test ride or in a day. That's why the "reviews" are a bit biased.
Once you get a handle it is a very cooperative, agile and easy ride. You will do whatever, whenever , however with it and love it.

All the V's handle the same basically with the "R" model having a few degrees more lean and sits taller.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
The R also has less rake and inverted forks. But the R is gone and I'm sure can't be rented anywhere.

I'm a sportbike guy with 2 Buells and an VRSCR. If I were you and were looking at HD for performance, I'd be looking at the XR1200X. But if a cruiser is what you want, try both the DX and F.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You are going to think it's a dog compared to your crotcher, but it's way way faster and handles a ton better than any other HD.
Its a ton faster for sure but not so much on the handling part. The XR is MUCH better handling bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input! Funny how a few not-so-great reviews can scare you a bit. I looked up my FZ1 reviews for fun yesterday and they complained about things I've never even noticed about my bike..haha. Different people with different opinions.

I didn't even know you could test ride a HD. That would be an excellent way to see if its something you want to jump in. I'll try to rent for at least a weekend so I give it as much seat time as I can. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been tossing around this idea for a few months now and almost have the sweet wife talked into it. Now I've noticed that a price drop is in effect for the new years models. May be worth waiting for a little while.

Again, thanks for your time guys!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think you'll love the VRod but don't expect to do any knee dragging in the twisties, it's simply not a crotch rocket or as they call them around here "Organ Donor Machines". I have an 04 B Model and frankly, I was amazed at how it will lay down in the sweepers and I've spent 8 hours in the saddle with stops only for fuel. It will never flick like an FZ1 but then again, when your at bike night and there's 200 metric crotch rockets in the lot and you pull in on a Rod, half of those guys will be wanting a VRod when they grow up if they live that long. I've ridden an R1 and they're violently fast, scarry fast but I'm 55 now and frankly the VRod scares the piss out of me at anything over 6 grand on the tach. They're hands down the King of the Classy Cruisers in my opinion and the key word there is "Classy".
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would back up everything everyone has said on here............

I have had a few sport bikes over the years including a VTR1000SP1(v twin) and 3 Yamaha R1's the last having 160 RWHP.

I have had a Triumph Rocket 3 in between the last R1 and my current VRSCF (Muscle) and dont think they are heavy or turn slow what so ever.

Its horses for courses and if you want something you can ride 700 miles on in a day then as long as a V Rod is set up right then it will be an enjoyable ride.

It goes the same with what you currently ride also but also depends on what your body can handle.

I think Corbin are the best seat you can get and wouldnt know what the range for V Rods are but if they made one for my bike id have it in a flash.

Other than that i would buy one and enjoy yourself, oh and they will hold the value better than your FZ1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts