Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FXRG zipper has finally died. That jacket really did not live up to the $700 expectations I had for it.

2 years of riding with it 1/2 the season and the zipper is broken! I strongly recommend not purchasing FXRG if you guys are on "the fence." The armor is poor and now I can't even zip it up.

Any recommendations on getting it repaired?

Also, any recommendations on a non-HD leather armored jacket?

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
I have had the FXRG jacket for a few years now. I love it because I can wear it for an hour ride at 26 degrees with just a long sleeeve shirt under it and be warm enough. The zipper is tricky every now and then, but I haven't found a H-D jacket yet that the zipper doesn't give me a little difficulty. They all seem to stick or get bound up. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't have any other non H-D jackets to recommend. Best of luck.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Mine broke and I took it back to the dealer, and they gave me a NEW jacket to replace my old one. That is what I call great customer service.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I didn't like the pull on my FXRG zipper and complained to the shop I bought it. They said give it to me, two weeks later came back with new zipper. Never another problem.
Biggest problem I have with it now is when it gets hot, I don't like to wear it. In stop and go traffic it gets too hot in there. Now that is is cooling off some, I am putting it back on.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
700? 450......and for a 4 x..... take it to the dealer see what they do...or use yellow pages for zipper repair.(google if you own a computer)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stanstillson said:
I took my jacket to my local dealer and in two weeks I had it back. It looked brand new with a new zipper. No charge...
Awesome to hear. Did you have to show them reciept? I'm worried because I bought it early 2005 and don't have reciept.

I'll give it a try. I swear I paid $600+ for that jacket in 05.

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
Take it back to the same dealer you bought it they should have you in the computer system not only that the jacket has a five year warranty (maybe lifetime) but can't rememeber... my zipper came apart on the first day while headed out to KC called dealer i bought it at which was a sunday so they couldn't do much monday they called a dealer in shawnee.. they had them order me a new jacket overnight when in picked it up shipped the old jacket home and returned it when I got back. They normally would have sent it for repair but due to the circumstances they got me a new one

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
$700? Damn I have the Nylon, its a really great jacket (Especially that it doesnt have HD written all over it, unless you look close you cannot tell its a HD product) and I know it was no more than $350.

·
Registered
298 Posts
viostorm said:
These jackets are not armored but I don't think that you can get a better jacket.
www.foxcreekleather.com
Everyone who has ever seen my jacket was truly impressed with the quality and weight of the leather. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee and great customer service.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Yeah, i forgot, the fxrg has a 5 year warranty. Take it back to where ya got it.
Ive never seen the nylon one....does it still have the armor, kidney belt, pockets galore?( lord i leave stuff in that jacket all the time due to the # of pockets) might be cool to get that during the summer when the skins are a tad to hot to run with.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
bigjim50010 said:
Yeah, i forgot, the fxrg has a 5 year warranty. Take it back to where ya got it.
Ive never seen the nylon one....does it still have the armor, kidney belt, pockets galore?( lord i leave stuff in that jacket all the time due to the # of pockets) might be cool to get that during the summer when the skins are a tad to hot to run with.
Yup all that stuff and its really warm when I put the lining back in.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Yep, I'm not a fan of the zipper, but the damn jacket does it's job thats for sure. My buddies and I were tooling around in some -20 weather on some quads, and I wore that to see how good it worked....didn't feel a thing! Great jacket but yes you'd figure the zipper would be a bit better

Peyton

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
PeytonVRSCD said:
Yep, I'm not a fan of the zipper, but the damn jacket does it's job thats for sure. My buddies and I were tooling around in some -20 weather on some quads, and I wore that to see how good it worked....didn't feel a thing! Great jacket but yes you'd figure the zipper would be a bit better

Peyton
Hey if it was Perfect than they couldn't put the Harley name on it:hidesbeh:

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
viostorm said:
My FXRG zipper has finally died. That jacket really did not live up to the $700 expectations I had for it.

2 years of riding with it 1/2 the season and the zipper is broken! I strongly recommend not purchasing FXRG if you guys are on "the fence." The armor is poor and now I can't even zip it up.

Any recommendations on getting it repaired?

I was under the impression that these FRXG's have a pretty good warranty. Take it back to your dealer, they are supposed to repair or replace.

·
Registered
964 Posts
stanstillson said:
I took my jacket to my local dealer and in two weeks I had it back. It looked brand new with a new zipper. No charge...

I took my hd american jacket in for the same thing....fixed it in about three weeks no charge.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
My zipper died the first week. They installed a new one, no charge. Took 10 days.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
FYI - Stuck zippers

f your zipper sticks or is hard to pull, simply rub a little wax like substance on the zipper teeth. Chap stick works real well. Paraffin will also do. It doesn't take much just enough to coat then run the zipper up and down a few times to spread it around.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Plastic or Nylon Zippers will always fail, its just a matter of time. Thats why I Never would never spend serious $$ on HD clothing (And the fact that most is Appauling)
The Motophoria one I talked about earlier has a nice Heavy Metal zipper Quality for $500

1 - 20 of 28 Posts