Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know I know.....been reading about the funky fuel gauge antics of the DX forever. Today was my own lil special foray into the bizarre. 30 miles out the gauge reads lil under a half tank. The miles remaining reads 60 ish. Why bother gassing up for 30 miles.
As I am rolling down the road, the remaining jumps from 61 to 47, 46, 45, 44, 43 and down to 0 every passing second. The gauge also pegs out empty. Im thinking ......oh for the love of God, what now.
Dudes from the plant are 30 minutes away if i need gas....but the next stop is 10 out, lets shoot for that.
All the sudden, 1,2,3,4, back up to 72 and the gauge pops back up.
Rift in the time/space continium?
The sudden realization by the bike its in Iowa?
the Amazing expanding fuel?
Im at a loss, other than...the funky $hit that happens while you exist on this planet.

Any ideas? insight?

Im usually just one to count gallons vs miles and ignore the gauge due to what ive read in here, but i swear i smelled Rod Serlings pallmalls.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Keep ramming it down the dealers throat until the MoCo figures it out. They'll be tired of paying warranty money out sooner or later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tales of The Fuel Gauge Con't.

Yet another twist in the fuel gauge saga. A couple of days ago i packed as much fuel in my DX's tank as possible and rode until my gauge reached it's magical phantom gas point (1/4 tank) but it didn't happen. I haven't refueled yet, it's below 1/4 and yes, the low fuel warning light works as well (wow).
I'm going to take a digital photo of this rare moment before refueling as we all know that it may never happen again, well as least until they (moco) come up with a cure for the problem.

PeterJ

·
Registered
683 Posts
bigjim : you're membership card to this select ever growing club has been sent..... WELCOME!!!!

seriously though, the MoCo engineers couldn't make the gauge do some of this stuff if they Wanted to!!!! it's some crazy SH**.

I just changed pipes and slapped on a tuner, so now I'm really worried as I have no idea what my new milage is going to be (certainly running richer..) and obviously can't rely on the gauge for sh**

·
Registered
105 Posts
:cuckoo Welcome to the DARK Zone......

I rode to Charelston and back over Labor Day and I kept expecting my gauge to do the normal whacky shit once it got to 1/4, but amazingly it didn't and low and behold my low fuel light works too:dance: BUT and that's a BIG:moon: the last time I fueled up, I kept watching the guage and it wasn't doing anything and then WHAM:banghead: after 50 miles goes by the F*^#ing thing shoots like a scud missle to 3/4...WTF? over,......So I will continue to use my trip meter vs the gauge...Ghostown Harley as ordered a new sending unit, just waiting for it to come in. :soapbox:

·
Registered
597 Posts
where's my membership card?? My DX is at the dealer right now for this very issue, they did tell me that they had to order a new sending unit(big surprise), but I don't know if it is an updated unit or if they have even done an update. I will have to ask when I get the bike back. Which should be any day now, been at the dealer for a week now.

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
My Feb '07 DX still appears fine after 2300 miles.
Driving conditions vary. Lately two long trips a week at 250 miles each.
The rest of the week is comuting at 50 miles a day.
I decided to fill the tank and head out.
The gauge was steady.
At one notch below a quarter tank reserve kicked it and reads r37.
Two notches below a quarter tank it reads r25.
Three notches below a quarter tank it reads r 19 to r20.
At empty it was r10 for awhile then it reads 'lo'
Pulled in and got 4.6 gallons of gas after 184.3 miles.
Reserve started back at r192 but bumped up to r199 after a couple miles.
Sometime I get better than 50mpg... This time 40mpg.
Bike is all stock except for what might have been done at the first service.

·
The Anti-Chrome
872 Posts
I can say that I stopped in to my local dealer today and while asking about the 1000 mile check (last and only at the dealer) I also mentioned the issues with the needle jumping all over the place even though I know the tank is 100% full...I've watched it drop from full to 1/4 tank back to 1/2 tank and then back to full. The tech writer stated that he knew of issues with the early bikes but had not heard of them with the 07's. They said they would look everything over when I took it in for the 1000 mile oil/check. Will have to wait and see what becomes of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this might have been mntioned here before, but here's what I do. I turn the ignition to on and wait for the lights in the speedo to go out. Then I push the run switch from off to run and wait for the lights in the speedo to go out. I then hit the start switch and start the bike. I have had no trouble with the fuel gauge using this method. If I don't follow this startup procedure I experience the same issues everyone else is reporting.
I'm not sure what's up with this, but this seems to work for me. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont get it..........what youre saying is........you start the bike up like everyone else.....but.... like allow enough time in between operations of each step?

·
The Anti-Chrome
872 Posts
So today the wife and I went for a 150+ mile ride. I started with 3/4 of a tank. At about 1/2 tank the gauge started to act up...at one point while riding on straight and level ground it dropped to 0/0 with the light on and the gauge showing "LO" on the display...after about 5 minutes the needle started to climb back to the 1/2 tank mark. I figured all was well...about an hour later it again did the exact same thing. I decided to stop on the return trip to refuel even though I knew I still had just under a 1/2 tank and about 100 miles left based on the days riding style. When I filled the tank to the top...the gauge went to just above the 1/2 tank mark. I turned off the bike and shook it back and forth before I turned the ignition back on (not started) and the needle finally jumped to the top of the gauge like it should have to start with. While on the last part of the ride...the needle once again fell to about the half tank mark and sat there for about 10 miles and then jumped back to the top of the gauge again. Since I broke the 1000 mile mark finally today...the bike will be going in this coming week for the oil change. I will insist that they look at the gauge issue and will let you know what I hear back from them.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
bigjim50010 said:
I know I know I know.....been reading about the funky fuel gauge antics of the DX forever. Today was my own lil special foray into the bizarre. 30 miles out the gauge reads lil under a half tank. The miles remaining reads 60 ish. Why bother gassing up for 30 miles.
As I am rolling down the road, the remaining jumps from 61 to 47, 46, 45, 44, 43 and down to 0 every passing second. The gauge also pegs out empty. Im thinking ......oh for the love of God, what now.
Dudes from the plant are 30 minutes away if i need gas....but the next stop is 10 out, lets shoot for that.
All the sudden, 1,2,3,4, back up to 72 and the gauge pops back up.
Rift in the time/space continium?
The sudden realization by the bike its in Iowa?
the Amazing expanding fuel?
Im at a loss, other than...the funky $hit that happens while you exist on this planet.

Any ideas? insight?

Im usually just one to count gallons vs miles and ignore the gauge due to what ive read in here, but i swear i smelled Rod Serlings pallmalls.
You're traveling through a land not of sight or sound but of mind (you guys in Iowa don't do you, mind that is?) :stilpoke:. There's a signpost up ahead you've just crossed over to the dark side. The funky fuel readings are probably something you are going to have to live with as long as you ride a V-rod. As good as the Harley engineers are I still don't think they have figured out the time space continium connection as it applies to the V-rod fuel system.:stooge:

·
Registered
105 Posts
As good as the Harley engineers are I still don't think they have figured out the time space continium connection as it applies to the V-rod fuel system.:stooge:[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, could it be that the fuel gauge engineer's were on an extended smoke break (and I'm not talking cigarettes), when they were supposed to be doing engineer shit????? :hidesbeh:

·
Slave to my DX
75 Posts
bigjim50010 said:
i dont get it..........what youre saying is........you start the bike up like everyone else.....but.... like allow enough time in between operations of each step?

i have been having this same issue for about 2000 miles now on my 07 dx. Nothing i have done between restarting the bike to letting it sit to shaking it works, it is simply intermittent. As Harley sees it i have a faulty fuel gauge sensor. This sensor with many people is giving them issues because it is no longer on a float system. Everything is on back order and seems to be a bigger problem than some admit. The best suggestion they gave me for now is to track your fuel by "trip a" until they come off back order. I hope this helps some :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
i had problems for the first couple of thousand miles,but now at 8000 and no problems for the last 6000 seems to have settled

1 - 17 of 17 Posts