Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I hope the pic I attach is viewable. I have a Metzler rear tire with the funkiest tire wear I have ever seen. It has a flat around the center, then cups in all the way around then rounds back out to the edge of the tread. Talk about a squirrely ride when cornering! Any ideas on this? The pic doesn't do this tire justice!

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
OK, I hope the pic I attach is viewable. I have a Metzler rear tire with the funkiest tire wear I have ever seen. It has a flat around the center, then cups in all the way around then rounds back out to the edge of the tread. Talk about a squirrely ride when cornering! Any ideas on this? The pic doesn't do this tire justice!
Dunlop by chance???? My front one looks like that and it's Dunlop. Awaiting my Conti Custom Attacks to arrive.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Dunlop by chance???? My front one looks like that and it's Dunlop. Awaiting my Conti Custom Attacks to arrive.
It is a Metz. My Metz. was kinda starting to look like that a lil. Couldnt tell you why tho??

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Yes thats How Metz wear out and they seem to get this way Over Night its odd, its one of Many reasons I now run Avons.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thats How Metz wear out and they seem to get this way Over Night its odd, its one of Many reasons I now run Avons.
Yeah, it seems that the "over night" thing isn't far off. I just noticed about a week ago as I was using the on ramp to the highway that it sounded like my rear tire was sqweeling. When I got home, it was like "What the hell!". I've got about 6k on my front and rear Metzs so the front was definitly better than the Dunlop but I got around 11k on the rear Dunlop. The Metzs were AWESOME at first but feel kinda squirrly now. I think the Avons are next.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The pirellis on my last 600rr done something like that on the rear tire. Not near as bad but to a degree. Kinda scary to ride on

·
07 DX
41 Posts
How hard do you guys accelerate though curves?
My last set of metz and the new avons both wore heavily on the left side of the rear.
I started waiting until the bike was upright to nail the throttle, now the center of the tread seems to get the majority of the wear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got done looking at prices for Avons, AV71 120/70ZR-19 and AV72 250/40VR-18. A pair from Rocky Mountain was $361 and Dennis Kirk was $335. I didn't enter any codes for discounts, that's just the list prices on their websites/ I bought from Dennis Kirk before and paid $5 per tire for shipping/handling. I'm gonna check prices for Pirellis next since there are some posts here saying they are pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
your right , I just noticed mine tonight like that , it wasnt like that last week when I looked .
Im guessing but I think I have about 9000km on it

·
Dragon
92 Posts
thought it was because i ride like an a$$. mine only have 2K miles.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
9k miles on my Metzler 180, and no problems. About time to replace it though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey - jmt21022 - to follow on to your original post - how well did you monitor tire pressure? I have been reading that low tire pressure will tear up any of these tires regardless of who makes them.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
low tire pressure will tear up any of these tires regardless of who makes them.
Ding ding! We have a winner!:D

·
Bud
73 Posts
It's a head bearing issue

Have your head bearings adjusted, same type of cupping on Avons that were installed, tire was shot in 400 miles. Had head bearings adjusted as well as a new tire installed and problem solved.

·
George
5,411 Posts
BRIDGESTONE!​
Problem Solved! (Oh and you save $150)​

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Your multi lane interstates produce some kinky tire wear patterns, quite remarkable...
Try and find some twisties to get those tires round again! :D

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
That pattern is attributable to low pressure.
:them: even though thread is few months old.
At 6k the rear Metz should still look pretty damn good and rounded. At 8k my Metz developed the "flat" spot that made it a bit of a labor to lay it into turns and switchbacks were a real pain in the ass, but NEVER lost any grip even up to the 9k miles when I finally replaced it with Pirelli.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Have your head bearings adjusted, same type of cupping on Avons that were installed, tire was shot in 400 miles. Had head bearings adjusted as well as a new tire installed and problem solved.
For rear tire wear problems? Explain, please.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts