Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have decided to do a full suspension upgrade on my bike (2008 DXA) front/rear.
i did some research and came up with a couple of setups which i need opinions on. personal experience on either or both would be great. Some background : i dont do 2-up ever, i weigh around 200lb but i usually roller-coaster in a year between 180lb to 210lb.

The Two Setups Are:
1- Rear: Progressive 440, Stock Length , Black
Front: Progressive Springs, Stock length 10WT Oil, Ricor Intiminators. (Estimated Price 850$)

2- Rear: Works Black Trackers, Stock Length.
Front: Works Pro Series Triple Rate Spring kit, 10WT oil (not sure), Ricor Intiminators. (Estimated price 980$)

P.s i also had a look at the Ricor rear shocks but they are too expensive.

Yousef

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have alot of speed bumps here, so other than looking good lowered there is no benefit to lowering the bike

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you are not planning on lowering the bike then you probably won't need the fork springs. I am very happy with my Ricors with the stock springs and 10w oil. For the rear from what I have read the 440's are what I would go with but you are not going to go wrong with either choice.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Just went with the -1" 440's on the rear & lowering springs/HD oil and was ashamed at myself for not doing it along time ago... Handles completely different. I don't think you can go wrong with the progressives..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are not planning on lowering the bike then you probably won't need the fork springs. I am very happy with my Ricors with the stock springs and 10w oil. For the rear from what I have read the 440's are what I would go with but you are not going to go wrong with either choice.
well i thought getting the dual rate front springs will help with absorbing the irregularities of the road, thats whay i want them.

Coonass : i am hoping for that reaction when i do mine, cant wait

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
well i thought getting the dual rate front springs will help with absorbing the irregularities of the road, thats whay i want them.

Coonass : i am hoping for that reaction when i do mine, cant wait
They will help some but not as much as the Ricors do. I have ridden some bikes with progressives and I like my stock spring Ricor combo better. I have not ridden a Progressive Ricor combination though. I am just guestimating that between The Ricor and Progressives it would be to much. I have never ridden with a works front end on a V-Rod yet so I have no clue what it would be like. With Ethe washed out roads in Louisiana and the shitty city streets around Houston the Ricors have been enough for me , on the front end. I am running Arnott's on the rear but for one up riding I would have probably gone 440 but I like/want the push button adjust ability because my wife like to ride with me and I didn't want to have to manually adjust my shocks several times a week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi people, how r u?
I started to read this thread and I have 2 doubts about the Ricor Intiminator.

I will buy the progressive shocks(stock length) for my 07 vrscaw at the end of the year and I checked that these springs come with spacers to install with it, so here goes my 2 doubts.

1 - At the installation of the Ricor Intiminator, do I have to keep the spacers or not with PS springs? Because if I buy the stock length springs and put the ricor(springs+spacers+ricor) it will be more length than just the springs and spacers will it not?

2 - Which one is the one for my stock front suspension? 39mm, 41mm or 49mm?

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi people, how r u?
I started to read this thread and I have 2 doubts about the Ricor Intiminator.

I will buy the progressive shocks(stock length) for my 07 vrscaw at the end of the year and I checked that these springs come with spacers to install with it, so here goes my 2 doubts.

1 - At the installation of the Ricor Intiminator, do I have to keep the spacers or not with PS springs? Because if I buy the stock length springs and put the ricor(springs+spacers+ricor) it will be more length than just the springs and spacers will it not?

2 - Which one is the one for my stock front suspension? 39mm, 41mm or 49mm?

Thanks a lot guys.
The 49mm is the one for our bikes make sure you specify the V-Rod tune and not the bagger one. The instructions that come with them tell you that you can either cut the spring or spacer to accommodate the extra length but that it is not necessary. The overall installed height difference is about 3/8". I did opted to install them without doing any trimming and like it that way. With my bike and a stock vrod parked next to each other you cannot see ride height difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks a lot Shaggyhou! I got really interested in this intiminator since the streets here in BR are like the moon's surface and everything that I can do to improve rideability here will not be enough hehehe...

I will keep you people posted. Thanks.

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
The 49mm is the one for our bikes make sure you specify the V-Rod tune and not the bagger one. The instructions that come with them tell you that you can either cut the spring or spacer to accommodate the extra length but that it is not necessary. The overall installed height difference is about 3/8". I did opted to install them without doing any trimming and like it that way. With my bike and a stock vrod parked next to each other you cannot see ride height difference.
Did you change out the fork oil when you did the install?

Just talked to my buddy back in Las Vegas that had lot of work done by Ricor and he spoke very highly of their product. I pulled the trigger on a set of Intiminators and I hope they are as good as they claim. Changing the oil is no issue for me just wondering if there are good results without taking the forks off because the good riding weather is coming to a close and I want to put some miles on this new bike.

The real question is if the rear shocks that cost over $600 dollars are that much better than a set of Progressive 440's?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes I did change my fork oil when I did them but I stayed with the stock 10w Harley oil. Mine were done off the bike. I would love to try there rear shocks if they work half as good as the intimators do I would love them, but they (A) weren't out yet and (B) not able to switch between one up and two up spring preloads with the push of a button like the Arnott's. If I had a chance to ride them and they did work as well as the fronts it would probably be worth giving up the push button adjust ability of the Arnott's though.

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
Yes I did change my fork oil when I did them but I stayed with the stock 10w Harley oil. Mine were done off the bike. I would love to try there rear shocks if they work half as good as the intimators do I would love them, but they (A) weren't out yet and (B) not able to switch between one up and two up spring preloads with the push of a button like the Arnott's. If I had a chance to ride them and they did work as well as the fronts it would probably be worth giving up the push button adjust ability of the Arnott's though.
You make a great point about the two up adjustably of the Arnott's. So if the stock oil is 10w I might just try dropping in the intiminators for now and see what I get. Hell my bike has 91 miles in it so checking the oil level would be the important thing then when the weather starts to suck I can tear the bike apart.

I am trying to justify the extra $200 for the shocks and worst cast I could use the customer satisfaction clause Ricor has. After the maiden voyage on the bike, first legal anyhow, the fork dive and less than great stock shocks need some help. Two up is not going to happen for me so maybe more Ricor in the future?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys so far. so new questions came up now,

1-did you (anybody) try both Progressive & Works shocks on the rear? if yes your opinion please.

2-do ricors intiminator work good with dual rate front springs (works or progressives) ?

price-wise i am not worried the price increase with the Works set-up is not much.
the general result of the thread untill now is more Confusion lol

Yousef

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The Ricors will function regardless of spring but maybe not the way you want...

I have to preface this with there is slightly more to setting up a race car to go through turns but this is a good 3rd grade description,

Ok, history lesson in automobile Racing and I assume Motorcycles have gone the same way but I don't keep up with MotoGP so I don't know. In the early days of road racing the theory behind getting a car to handle good was to put so much spring rate in it that the car would basically stay level throughout the turn. Now fast forward to modern day, The have found a better way to control body roll and provide more "bite" and that by running only just enough spring to support the cars weight at the ride height you want and use big sway bars to control body roll and shock valving to control spring oscillation. What this does is allow the suspension to be compliant enough to stay connected to the road but stiff enough in corners to maintain the cars body roll.

Now back to bikes, I have set mine up with stock springs because I was following this same principle modified slightly. I wanted the suspension soft enough to provide a comfortable ride over bumps but I also wanted to have control through the twisties the way the Ricor works is to control the fluid flow through the fork thus changing the rate of dampening in it. The thing that makes the Ricor so nice is that, for lack of a better term, has a variable orifice to do so. The size of the orifice varies depending on the input it receives through the direction and speed of the oil flow thus allowing you run the soft stock spring without allowing nose dive during braking and other massive fork travel situations by controlling the fluid, but allowing plenty of easy travel to keep the tire planted across bumps and the ride smooth.

·
Banned
55 Posts
The Ricors will function regardless of spring but maybe not the way you want...

I have to preface this with there is slightly more to setting up a race car to go through turns but this is a good 3rd grade description,

Ok, history lesson in automobile Racing and I assume Motorcycles have gone the same way but I don't keep up with MotoGP so I don't know. In the early days of road racing the theory behind getting a car to handle good was to put so much spring rate in it that the car would basically stay level throughout the turn. Now fast forward to modern day, The have found a better way to control body roll and provide more "bite" and that by running only just enough spring to support the cars weight at the ride height you want and use big sway bars to control body roll and shock valving to control spring oscillation. What this does is allow the suspension to be compliant enough to stay connected to the road but stiff enough in corners to maintain the cars body roll.

Now back to bikes, I have set mine up with stock springs because I was following this same principle modified slightly. I wanted the suspension soft enough to provide a comfortable ride over bumps but I also wanted to have control through the twisties the way the Ricor works is to control the fluid flow through the fork thus changing the rate of dampening in it. The thing that makes the Ricor so nice is that, for lack of a better term, has a variable orifice to do so. The size of the orifice varies depending on the input it receives through the direction and speed of the oil flow thus allowing you run the soft stock spring without allowing nose dive during braking and other massive fork travel situations by controlling the fluid, but allowing plenty of easy travel to keep the tire planted across bumps and the ride smooth.

I have 12 in 440's and progressive lowering springs up front SE fork oil, fork tubes slide up about 1/2 " in the triple trees. It is a great improvement over stock. Has a great stance- but cant ride 2 up.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Im against the Ricors. They are basically simulating a cartridge shock. WHile some people like ricors, I prefer the Progressive springs over them. The Ricors didnt seem to have the reaction i was looking for.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
As far as ARnotts. THey are more novelty then function over a Spring. THe 440's can be adjusted with out tools, but you are stuck at a certain height. But pure performance wise? They are much better than arnotts.

BUt depends on your riding style too...

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
As far as ARnotts. THey are more novelty then function over a Spring. THe 440's can be adjusted with out tools, but you are stuck at a certain height. But pure performance wise? They are much better than arnotts.

BUt depends on your riding style too...
I can tell you that the Arnotts are way better than stock. When you are a big guy it makes a huge difference! And you are correct, depends on riding style too. I only have experience with Arnotts vs. stock on mine.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
I can tell you that the Arnotts are way better than stock. When you are a big guy it makes a huge difference! And you are correct, depends on riding style too. I only have experience with Arnotts vs. stock on mine.
Yes Stock suck! You could probably use Q-tips and have a better ride then stock shocks!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts