Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed V&H Fuelpak in my 07' VRSCD. All is well except the fuel range function of the instrument cluster is out of whack. Number goes up a little and goes down a little but is stuck within a curtain range. I filled the tank to try to reset it. Showed as 238 mile range (I wish). Normally would show up as 200 to 204 mile range.

I removed the Fuelpak and it still did not work. I disconnected the wiring from the fuel tank which cleared the readout but the same bogus number appeared when I reconnected the wires.

No error codes are shown.

V&H tech support said this function is not on the same circuit as the Fuelpak. I find it hard to believe ECU isn't involved in calculating the range.

I normally run with the display in this mode so I'm sure it was functioning before the Fuelpak install.

Any one have a suggestion?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You put way to much faith in that range function. The range will vary. It uses an algorithm based on the injector pulse, speed, and fuel guage reeding, I think. When you put a piggyback fuel management system, then the injector pulse is longer than what the computer is recording, so your range function becomes pretty useless, if it was ever accurate in the first place. Mine has never been reliable from day one. I forgot all about that function, personally.

Most of us use the trip odometer to estimate when we need gas. Even then, I've underestimated the "agressivness" of my riding from time to time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always used the trip meter to keep track of fuel. This is the first time I've had a bike with a range function. I thought it was a nice feature. Bike only has 1k miles on it so I hadn't determined just how accurate the reading was yet. But it did seem to be consistent.

I see now that fuel gauge problems are pretty common. My needle is still working normally, it's just the range calc that’s effected.

So it my be just coincidence that the failure occurred at the same time I installed the Fuelpak.
Also I see some folks seem to have more trouble on very warm days. Today was very hot and humid here.

Guess all I can do is live with it for now and let the dealer play with it in the off season.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The fuel gauge and the fuel range have very little to do with each other. As RJ tried to explain it is a calculation based on several things. Speed being traveled, injector pulse width and remaining fuel. If you make a change to any of those items you can look to throw the information off greatly. If you let the bike sit and idle for a long period it can throw it off. If you ride a day at 45mph it can throw it off greatly. If you had good luck with it before consider it a miracle, I would never count on it to ride by. Set the trip meter and go from that IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts