Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought we should start this thread again here, too.

Max, did you make me a moderator here because I'm such a WHINER??

Anyway, called the tech this morning about the fuel gauge going to empty right after a fill-up on Sat. morning. He said he's seen problems with corrosion and with the unit as a whole - has replaced 4-5 of them already. I asked if I should bring it in now or wait until it fails or what. He said he's had people riding along, have it go to empty, and the bike shut itself off, so he thought I shouldn't wait until it completely fails on me, but rather bring it in if it does it again. Hope it only fails at the gas station, if it's going to...

Val

·
Registered
100 Posts
Val,

I have had this fuel problem for a while and the bike never has stalled. I am not sure to believe your tech. I am sure this is a problem with the sending unit and if it ran thru the ECM then I would have stalled the bike already. Once I burn a little fuel the indicator recovers and reads fine until next fill up also if I fill with about 2" before top I will not have this problem. I am going to look into this this winter but I believe the problem will fall with the float going to high and losing contact with senser. I am talking out of my aZZ but will be surprise if anyone on here had there bike stall over this problem. I am sure he knows more then me but I bet he is thinking of the fuel line problem not this indication problem.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sender failure

My thought on this is if your bike has experienced the dropping to empty then take it in and get them to fix it right away if you have warranty. Not only will that take care of the fuel gauge dropping but the sender is also the part that is suffering from the line coming out. You should be able to kill two cats with one stone (Sorry I'm a parrot owner).

Max

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, Max -

Thanks.

It is still under warranty until the end of next April, Max, so I'll take it back in.

You know how it is, tho -- if I take it back in, who knows when I'll see it again? And I've got a group ride planned for Sunday and a 4-day trip for the following weekend. Don't want to have those trips ruined the way the York trip got messed up, while it sits in there waiting for some part.

Mike, if you've had this, too, and haven't stalled, then I'd feel ok about continuing to ride it for a couple of weeks. And I can fill it up, as you described. As long as it doesn't stall out on me and the odometer keeps working, I can tell when to fill up, even if it goes to empty and stays there.

I know it's useless to say, "hey, it's the sending unit. Can you get the replacement and THEN I'll bring it in?"

Thanks,

Val

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Schedule

Val what I do is call them first and make sure they have the part in stock to do the repair (call the service dept not parts). Then I tell them to call me when they can get the bike in and I will bring it down. I always get same day service or have so far.

Max

·
Registered
100 Posts
Without any question if its under warrenty have them fix it. In my case I know its just an indication problem and I would wait if it will mean the lost of going on your trip. Does it read normally after fill-up if you dont top it off (leave two or three inches before the top) if so you are in the same boat as me. Like I said I never stalled because of this and once I burn the top few inches of fuel it will read normal again. I have found that it will recover on its own or if I shut the bike down it will read normal then it will fail again if I still have to much fuel in the tank but ever time it will return to normal after 30 min of riding and not fail again until I "overfill" at the next fuel stop.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike - Now that you mention it, I did fill it up more than usual when this happened. We were heading off on a 120-mile loop through the woods and that's about the upper limit on a tank of gas for me.

Nice to know it's an indication problem and I can hassle with the dealer when it's convenient.

What is the part I need to ask them if they have in stock to solve this?

THANKS,

Val

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Mine started behaving a bit oddly recently.
I used to get 25 miles (almost spot on) per quarter tank as indicated by the fuel gauge. Once it got to a quarter full I'd refill as soon as possible.
Then a few weeks ago it showed half full and my trip meter said about 50 miles then over the next half mile it plunged to reading a quarter full. I nearly sh*t myself - I pulled over convinced I must have a fuel leak. It must have been a strange sight to passing motorists as I was sniffing around the bike for fumes.
It now follows the same pattern
~25 miles 3/4 full
~50 miles 1/2 full
~51 miles - drops rapidly to below 1/4 full and the refueling light comes on.
Then it goes off ....then it comes on.....
then it reads empty from about 80 miles.
I now usually refuel at about 100 miles and it's never cut out on me even when it reads empty.

Christine

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Christine,

A couple months ago, one of the techs at the dealership said he'd had to replace 4-5 of fuel units altogether. He said they would just go "wacko." Sounds like yours is, too.

I wonder what the actual numbers are on these things.

Val

·
MARK
644 Posts
In the past month my fuel gauge has been going to empty after 2 gallons of gas usuage, I have heard this problem is very common. I wonder if the replacement float is an improved model????

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I called the dealer wreck shop today, where my bike is. :(

I asked them to check into this problem because I was concerned that my accident was a pretty hard tumble on the bike and may have caused a problem in the fuel tank area.

They are going to look into and let me know.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Part numbers?

The parts guy at my dealership said he'd order the parts for me and keep them on-hand.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the fuel sending unit?

Thanks,

Val

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
75123-01 is the part number for the 02 V-Rod, I'm not sure if the 03 is the same part number or if it would be 75123-02 or 03. They use a number system like Ford so that the basic prefix number is the same and only change the end number for the year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am also having this fuel gauge problem. I posted about it in the V-ROD Mechanical forum.

Does anyone know how much their shop charged to fix this problem? I am contemplating fixing the problem myself. Max seems to think I would need to buy a special tool, (that's funny I have been called a "special" tool before) to remove something to get at the defective unit.

If the tool isn't outragous, I would be willing to buy the tool and ship it out after I am done using it, to anyone else who wants to fix their bike. Like some kind of tool share program.

I think it is interesting the correlation someone made with filling up the tank. I always fill the tank to the very top, right under the plastic hole. Perhaps I shouldn't go that high.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bruzer,

I'm not sure if it's making any difference or not, but since I read Mike's post, I haven't been filling it up as much, and it hasn't happened again (yet).

Probably worth a try.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
This happened today for the first time (03 model with 7500 miles). I refuelled to the top and the gauge showed only half full. It took about 15 mins until the gauge was up to let's say 9/10.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Roland, it sounds like it is time for a sending unit for you.

Max

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
HD Fuel Module Recall!!!

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the MOCO stating that I have a 2003 V-rod that could benefit from having the fuel module flange replaced. "The new module flange provides more consistent fuel pressure delivery and improves the snoothness of engine operation."

They also stated that this service would be done at NO Charge and is non-safety related. It will take about an hour and I will be asked to sign a warrenty claim. No biggie.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Ken

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Do you have a scanner or camera to take a picture of this letter?

Max

·
Hooligan
416 Posts
I got the letter also. I'll try and get a pic of it if you want, my scanner died.
Notice they never said "recall", but a "non-safety" blah blah. Right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts