Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 V-Rod (stock) and am very entertained when I fill the bike up with fuel and the gauge gives me a projected range of 180+ miles. I can say that I don't run the bike hard and haven't run out of gas but find that approximately 80 miles of range is more accurate. For those of you with an older V-Rod with the smaller tank have similar ranges? Thanks!

·
Mmm donut...
49 Posts
If I make it 115 miles without running out of gas it's a moment to pull over and call Ripley's...

2002 VRSCA

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
60 or 70 i just hit the red and start to look. That 180 is with the motor off and pushing it, it will still lose gas due to evaporation lol

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
My girl has an 06 v mods power commander. On the way back from Cali we had to go a little further than anticipated, she made it a little over 140 miles, but at fill up it was over 3 gallons.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I generally see 110-120 miles to a tank, and I'll put about 3 gallons in when I fill up. The low fuel light will have been on for the last 40 miles, and the gauge will be just above empty.

The bike will usually report about 160 miles when I top it up, but that range drops hard from 1/2 to 1/4, which I assume is the narrow part of the tank.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
my '03 consistantly reads "E" when I still have well over a gallon left. The low fuel light comes on when I still have half of my gas left. I have learned to take my fuel gauge readings with a grain of salt and rely on my trip meter. If I fill at 100 miles, I typically will add only about 2.7 gallons. So as a rule, I comfortably fill when I have accrued 125 miles, adding 3.2 to 3.4 gallons. At this point, figuring my average fuel mileage of about 37 MPG around town (equipped with Power Commander, full w/screen and bags), I still have a cushion of up to 15 (safe) miles before sucking air. Frankly, I haven't risked running dry, but wonder what my true 'bottom' really is, since the tank has a sticker that is dated 2005, implying it was replaced. Could it be the 5 gallon tank? I have no idea. Seems that the engineers figured the engine would return 45 MPG if we didn't 'modify' it so it would go better, sound better, feel better, produce more smiles of satisfaction. But then, who keeps a Harley stock, anyway?:nos

·
Registered
165 Posts
A manufacturer called Unlimited Engineering makes a 5 gallon fuel tank for the older V-Rods. I found him here on the forum about 4-5 years ago. I installed his fuel tank in my 03 & now have a range of about 190 miles b4 empty. When I fill up, the fuel it takes is about 4.6 gallons, so I think I still can push it past the 190 mark. The mod is pretty straight forward & not hard to do. Just a little time consuming seeing that you have to remove the swing arm. He even gives you the parts to help recalibrate the fuel sender unit. Don't know if he is still around tho. Chas

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
A manufacturer called Unlimited Engineering makes a 5 gallon fuel tank for the older V-Rods. I found him here on the forum about 4-5 years ago. I installed his fuel tank in my 03 & now have a range of about 190 miles b4 empty. When I fill up, the fuel it takes is about 4.6 gallons, so I think I still can push it past the 190 mark. The mod is pretty straight forward & not hard to do. Just a little time consuming seeing that you have to remove the swing arm. He even gives you the parts to help recalibrate the fuel sender unit. Don't know if he is still around tho. Chas
Thanks Chas, I knew there was a 5 gallon tank available and wondered if mine was already upgraded, back in '05. Probably not, since the sticker on mine is a Harley OE tag, not a Unlimited Engineering tag. But does it really cost $500 just for parts?!? That's alot of moolah for just another 1.3 gallons of capacity...:bash:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
yea,those plastic tanks are only $600! unbelievable that people buy them,isn't it?

You guys that get more than 90 miles per tank ever stabbed your bike in the ass and found out what getting 35 mpg is all about?
Next time you ride,hold the throttle at 7 grand for 10 miles and see how it feels.If you still care about fuel mileage after that,you have the wrong motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
so true, so true Elrod...

But as I wrote earlier, its not the size of the tank that is so problematic. Its the lousy fuel gauge that tells you to fill up when you still have half of your fuel remaining. Sometimes, I wish for the old standby 'reserve' petcock that saved my behind a few times in years past. Without a reserve, that amber 'low fuel' warning eats away at me long before actually getting close to empty. :banghead:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought mine from unlimited back in 07 for about 3 to 4 hundred dollars, fact I bought 2 one for me and a good friend with an 06 screaming eagle...It's worth the money...to each it's own..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
so true, so true Elrod...

But as I wrote earlier, its not the size of the tank that is so problematic. Its the lousy fuel gauge that tells you to fill up when you still have half of your fuel remaining. Sometimes, I wish for the old standby 'reserve' petcock that saved my behind a few times in years past. Without a reserve, that amber 'low fuel' warning eats away at me long before actually getting close to empty. :banghead:
If you have a pre 07 bike,just clean the strip.The fuel gauge will work after this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought mine from unlimited back in 07 for about 3 to 4 hundred dollars, fact I bought 2 one for me and a good friend with an 06 screaming eagle...It's worth the money...to each it's own..
Absolutely correct. I happened to be around when these tanks were first made available. The cost was $245 complete at that time. I just got sick & tired of always being the first one that needed gas when all my riding partners could go at least 175 miles b4 refueling. Even at $400, the aggrevation of having to refuel after 90 miles is just a pita. Chas

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Big deal,I stood around a parking meter out front of a restaurant in KC when the tank and wire harness relocation was being discussed for production.I know what went into it.
I still refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for the damned thing,it aint worth the money.
Guys,I'm funny looking,not stupid!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Big deal,I stood around a parking meter out front of a restaurant in KC when the tank and wire harness relocation was being discussed for production.I know what went into it.
I still refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for the damned thing,it aint worth the money.
Guys,I'm funny looking,not stupid!
Geez Eldon, I don't think that anyone is gonna dispute you on your looks or IQ, but there are gonna be people out there that don't wanna go only 95- 110 miles on a tank of fuel. Granted the tank & labor to install might be a little tall, but for me the time was much more of a pita than the price of the tank, and the install was pretty much straight forward. I did not have to do any wire harness relocation other than repositioning the bat ground wire.

Your opinion is just that. And mine is just that also, but others like me are definitely gonna appreciate the extended range & the fact of not being the 1st one to have to stop for fuel when out for a ride with your buddies on other bikes. We will just let them make up their own mind as to whether the hassle & cost is worth it or not. You have made your opinion known & I'm sure that you are respected for that. Others are gonna agree with you for sure, but then again, others might not. Chas

·
Registered
159 Posts
Geez Eldon, I don't think that anyone is gonna dispute you on your looks or IQ, but there are gonna be people out there that don't wanna go only 95- 110 miles on a tank of fuel. Granted the tank & labor to install might be a little tall, but for me the time was much more of a pita than the price of the tank, and the install was pretty much straight forward. I did not have to do any wire harness relocation other than repositioning the bat ground wire.

Your opinion is just that. And mine is just that also, but others like me are definitely gonna appreciate the extended range & the fact of not being the 1st one to have to stop for fuel when out for a ride with your buddies on other bikes. We will just let them make up their own mind as to whether the hassle & cost is worth it or not. You have made your opinion known & I'm sure that you are respected for that. Others are gonna agree with you for sure, but then again, others might not. Chas
Amen!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Geez Eldon, I don't think that anyone is gonna dispute you on your looks or IQ,
I'm not smart,but I'm both kinds of pretty,Pretty ugly,and Pretty apt to stay this way.:)

I rant to much on certain things sometimes,and the price of this plastic tank is one of them.
When I'm on my 03 and others are following me,if they don't want to stop when I do,they can ride on.:chainsaw:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts