Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their fuel pump go out?

I have 2003 with about 33k miles. I have not had a chance to fully troubleshoot everything yet but it looks like it is toast. From everything I have heard is that they supposed to last about 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
did the pump actually go out? There was a fuel flange TSB that would cause a loss of fuel pressure.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears it went out.. I just put a voltage meter on the black and yellow/green and I get voltage for 5 seconds to purge the pump, but the pump does not kick on.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Fuel pumps will fail early if it is run low on fuel. The fuel in the tank help cool the pump.
If the pump doesn't come on at all, I would remove the assy verify voltage to the pump itself

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
It appears it went out.. I just put a voltage meter on the black and yellow/green and I get voltage for 5 seconds to purge the pump, but the pump does not kick on.
Not quite sure what you’re doing but the fuel pump (via System Relay) only primes for 2 to 3 seconds when the ignition is first turned on. It doesn’t run continuously unless the starter is used (Start Relay is activated) or the engine is running. If the engine stalls the fuel pump is turned off after 2 or 3 seconds. If you turn the ignition on and then off you have to wait 10 seconds after you turn the ignition off before turning it back on again to get the fuel pump to reprime.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea its more like about 2 -3 seconds there is voltage when then ignition switch is turned on.

I am going to pull fuel flange out and look at the pump. Maybe there is a loose connection somewhere.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not hearing the pump kick on to pressurize the system and the bike won't start.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I am not hearing the pump kick on to pressurize the system and the bike won't start.
OK. I thought you were expecting it to run past the 3 seconds.

It's possible that a connection came loose inside the fuel tank but I guess you’ll see when you look inside.

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
on my 03 a while back, the bike would crank over but would not fire or try to start. found a loose ground, tightened the ground, and never had the problem since. CHECK YOUR GROUNDS

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Has anyone had their fuel pump go out?

I have 2003 with about 33k miles. I have not had a chance to fully troubleshoot everything yet but it looks like it is toast. From everything I have heard is that they supposed to last about 100k miles.
I can say, yes, at least 100k (and then some). You'll get much less life out of the pump if you run dry (even once) and most submerged pump systems rely on the surrounding fluid to keep them cool, so if you don't keep much fuel in the tank than will shorten the pump life.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just pulled the pump out of the tank. I ended up making my own flange removal tool to do it.

The connectors at the pump looked good. I pulled them off and hooked some wires directly to the pump terminals and the pump motor sounded good. Hooked factory leads back up to the pump motor and did a continuity test and all tested good. Then reconnected pump to connector on the bike and all worked good.

My guess is that somehow one of the connectors on pump motor terminals was not making good contact even though they seemed tight.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I just pulled the pump out of the tank. I ended up making my own flange removal tool to do it.

The connectors at the pump looked good. I pulled them off and hooked some wires directly to the pump terminals and the pump motor sounded good. Hooked factory leads back up to the pump motor and did a continuity test and all tested good. Then reconnected pump to connector on the bike and all worked good.

My guess is that somehow one of the connectors on pump motor terminals was not making good contact even though they seemed tight.
as a mechanic("tech") i hate having things fix themselves.. too many times to count a bike comes in with a problem and i start checking things and pulling apart plugs to check power and grounds and continuity and such and it will fix itself.. don`t know where the problem was and will it come back as soon as the customer leaves the parking lot.. any ways yours is fixed so that is cool

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It amazes me why they do not solder the wire leads on inside of gas tanks. Loose connection on wires cause sparks and sparks and gas fums are explosive. On a empty tank of gas I would think there is some potential of this happening.

·
Scott Whitney
1,211 Posts
You'll get much less life out of the pump if you run dry (even once) and most submerged pump systems rely on the surrounding fluid to keep them cool, so if you don't keep much fuel in the tank than will shorten the pump life.
I'm not sure I agree with this. If the pump runs dry, the engine quits running within two or 3 seconds because you loose fuel pressure. As soon as the engine stops running, the ECM shuts off power to the pump. So, it's basically impossible to run the pump dry for any length of time. So, it can't get hot, which is what would damage it. I run my tank down until the engine dies almost every time I ride it. I've got 2 tanks, with two stock v-rod pumps, so when one runs out I switch over. I've been doing this with the same 2 pumps for about 6 years.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with this. If the pump runs dry, the engine quits running within two or 3 seconds because you loose fuel pressure. As soon as the engine stops running, the ECM shuts off power to the pump. So, it's basically impossible to run the pump dry for any length of time. So, it can't get hot, which is what would damage it. I run my tank down until the engine dies almost every time I ride it. I've got 2 tanks, with two stock v-rod pumps, so when one runs out I switch over. I've been doing this with the same 2 pumps for about 6 years.
:them:
The life expectancy of running a pump dry will also depend on whether it is a gerotor,or a vain pump.
I doubt the motor would overheat and quit in a short amount of time.

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well just as I thought that this problem has been solved, it has come back to haunt me this morning.

Same old problem this morning after a ride last night, the fuel pump did not kick on and the bike did not start.

I pull the pump out and soldered the leads on directly to the motor terminals. Problem is fixed bike starts run good.

Go out for a ride, stop off at a restaurant to watch a game, go back out to start it and no fuel pump again.

I then get pissed and take my fist and start pounding the side of the tank and the problem is solved.

It seems like the problem is a intermittent internal lead connection at the fuel pump motor. With the wire leads directly soldered onto the pump motor the only conclusion that I have is that there is a bad connection within the fuel pump motor its self.

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts