Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12 volts down to the fuel pump but with the load of the pump i get less then 1 volt. I have tried 3 different relays when the bike turns on you can hear the relay turn on then off after the 2 seconds like it should on start up. if i jump the wires i can get the fuel pump to come on and start the bike. has anyone had this problem and have any direction as to where to go from here. i already got a new pump thinking that was the problem in the first place. but both pumps work when i jump the wires.
thanks

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
according to the wiring diagram Pin 1 (Yellow/Green wire) should have 12 volts on it at all times. Pin 3 is ground to complete the circuit to run the motor.
From what I see the fuel pump should be running all the time when the engine is running.
Pin 2 is the fuel level sensor and should read from 0-240 OHMS depending on the level of the fuel in the tank.

Check pin 1 and three for voltage and ground and go from there. Is it possible the connectors inside the tank are incorrect?

Pin 1 - Yellow/Green
Pin 2 - Yellow/White
Pin 3 - Black

The yellow/Green wire gets its 12 volts directly from the system relay (Yellow/Green wire).

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are correct with the pins. and i do have 12 volts at that point till a load is applied then it drops and will not turn the pump. this is why i thought my pump was bad but after putting a new pump in it didnt fix the problem. i checked the old pump after this and found it is still good.

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the problem seams to be before the relay. I have checked grounds and tried 2 different ECMs I get all the right readings at the relay with the ground coming straight from the ECM being the only thing that is not consistent all the time. I have removed this wire from pin 4 on the ECM and tried a jumper wire to see if the wire was bad but even with the jumper wire it didnt change anything

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a new battery in first. I did get it running with DaleR help. just bad conection in the block. they would get enough to ready on a meter but not good enough to pass enough power under load. i pulled all the conections out of the fuse block and we got it to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have the same problem I can't believe it, it's been in my living room since 2014 and ran it dry barely getting it into my house. I'm allowed to ride so I pushed it outside gave it a couple of baths, put a new battery in it & put 3.7 gallons of premium in it. The fuel pump won't come on I can't believe it and my throttle is broken you can't turn it. I checked all the fuses except for the three solenoids and the video it says they are all black the same mine are three different colors. It's a 2002 international from Germany maybe that's why but I'm scared to try each different solenoid. So the dealerships said they found a fuel pump motor only good for 2002 and 2003 something racing? But you said you changed the fuel pump motor and it didn't fix it oh boy. Kindly let me know I'm Shaggy.
[email protected]

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hey I have the same problem I can't believe it, it's been in my living room since 2014 and ran it dry barely getting it into my house. I'm allowed to ride so I pushed it outside gave it a couple of baths, put a new battery in it & put 3.7 gallons of premium in it. The fuel pump won't come on I can't believe it and my throttle is broken you can't turn it. I checked all the fuses except for the three solenoids and the video it says they are all black the same mine are three different colors. It's a 2002 international from Germany maybe that's why but I'm scared to try each different solenoid. So the dealerships said they found a fuel pump motor only good for 2002 and 2003 something racing? But you said you changed the fuel pump motor and it didn't fix it oh boy. Kindly let me know I'm Shaggy.
[email protected]
You may auto state a new post as this one is from 2012…. But- if you have the issue of no voltage with a load applied you have voltage drop in the circuit. This can be tested with a DVOM with the circuit powered up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts