Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2002 VROD with some fuel issues. The bike sat for about 17 years. Cleaned gas tank and replaced fuel assembly (new fuel pump, filter, hoses, electrical connections). I put everything back. Fuel pump engaged for a few seconds. I hit the starter button and...gas was spraying all over the place. I hit the starter two more times until I found where it was spraying gas. I did not properly connect into place the end of the flexible fuel lines from the top of the gas tank that click/snap onto the metal fuel lines that go to the fuel injector assembly. After clicking/snapping the lines securely, I was at least relieved to know that fuel was being pumped with clean gas. Now, fuel pump does not engage, turn on, prime at all. Any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Check electrical connections, check for fuel pump priming sound (key on, engine off). It's possible you fried the pump, but doubtful.

If you hear nothing.....it's wiring or pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thanks for your help. I, too, doubt I fried the pump. Also, checked all my electric connections when I took out fuel assembly to make sure. Do you know if I might need to reset ECM or maybe i fried a relay!?

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
The pump will run for a couple of seconds when you first turn the ignition on and run/start to run. It then shuts down until you attempt to start the engine. Once started the fuel pump runs continuously.
'
Do you hear the pump engage for the first couple of seconds when you turn the ignition on? Listen closely. Its not real loud. If you do not hear it run then possibly fuse or wiring issue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hey! Thanks for your help. I, too, doubt I fried the pump. Also, checked all my electric connections when I took out fuel assembly to make sure. Do you know if I might need to reset ECM or maybe i fried a relay!?
Break out your DMM and a shop manual to figure out what wire in the power plug on top of the fuel pump flange is the +12v wire. You can then use the DMM to determine IF you are getting momentary (it's about 2 seconds at switch on) power. If you get nothing....relay or fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rusty, pump does not engage at all unfortunately. Freddie, I'll try to do what you just wrote about locating power with DMM. I've always worked on carbs. Never on fuel pumps/fuel injectors so it's a new learning process for me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Check your system relay. Second from right. They are suspect to become demented every now and since. Especially after long pause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts