Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know the life of a fuel pump on the V? Mileage getting high on mines and I have an aftermarket pump. But will have to wire it in someday. Because its not plug and play .Just curious.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just finished writing up my fuel pump how to/guide.

Give it a read. Will answer what you need to plan/buy in advance.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Hey does anyone know the life of a fuel pump on the V? Mileage getting high on mines and I have an aftermarket pump. But will have to wire it in someday. Because its not plug and play .Just curious.
Don't think there's a set number for miles. Story I was told once was in the 130k range, shops tend to see more in need of replacement. Some can go 200k and some less. I'd say since you are in the 80+k range now treat it to a new pump at around 100k, just because you are already wondering about it and you have a spare. Filters too, obviously. This mileage info is from the auto world and the pumps are the same deal so close enough. Don't think there would be enough v rod specific data to form a decent opinion on it.
Ron

·
Registered
533 Posts
Easy test...go "rent" a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone/etc. There is a test schraeder looking port on the fuel rail. Test running and key off (for leaks/etc). Compare to values in shop manual.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Easy test...go "rent" a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone/etc. There is a test schraeder looking port on the fuel rail. Test running and key off (for leaks/etc). Compare to values in shop manual.
I think his pump is functioning ok, just wants an idea how long they are reliable, or general life span.
Ron

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think his pump is functioning ok, just wants an idea how long they are reliable, or general life span.
Ron
Yep thats all I wanted to know. Figure to replace at 100 mi. It's working fine. I replaced filters more than I should have. At least 4 times. Tryin not to get stranded because of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts