Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it just started to act up. sometimes it works fine some time it does not work. i flip on the key, turn it to run, wait for the pump to prime, and hit start... it starts. then the other half of the time, i do the same process but it cranks over but will not start. if i turn the key off and back on, it will (most of the time) start.

i did run it our of gas about a month back, not sure if that could cause a pump problem?

tuner is a T-max
any ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
224 Posts
did you check your relay? crud or loose connection?

·
Autobanmod
9,893 Posts
No error codes?
How long did the fuel pump run without gas?
When you open the throttle, does it run well, also at high rpms under full load? It it runs fine at wide open throttle then it's not the pump.

Start checking out the simple things.
Loose battery or ground cables.
Low battery voltage / charge.
Spark plugs
intake rubber boots cracked

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when it wants to start, it will start with no problem. it will run hard at WOT with NO issues. when it decides not to start it cranks hard with lots of battery power but it will not even try to start (no pops, or even trying to start). flip the key off and on and it will fire right up

first time i have have ever ran it out of gas, got gas but took some cranking (few seconds). but fired up just fine and was on my way

i will look up the codes

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Check the connection at the tank. Trace the wires to make sure that none are pinched or bad.

When mine crank over and would not start I had loss of fuel pressure. As soon as I had pressure everythihng was fine.(hose came off pump)

You can put a gauge on the Schrader valve and check it. Start it then... shut it off a couple of times trying to repeat the problem to check the pressure.

I have also noticed that the connections in the tank can get pretty bad. You can pull the sending unit out and check everything. hoses for holes...connections.

What about the fuel flange has it been changed. Pull the cap and start the bike and look to see if you have misting inside.

Check the fuses and relay to make sure they are in all the way too.

Take your time and look again.
You will figure it out.

rod

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fuel flange i will check but i really dont think that is it, im not with in the serial numbers that the list states plus there is not hesitation at all when it runs. when it runs it runs just as strong as before.
But i will look into the other possiable ideas Rod
thanks again

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might try the T-max section and see if they can help.
i was wondering the same thing, im going to hook it up soon. i may start a new map:banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts