Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone.
I'm just exploring the fuel range on my bike, and have been advised that the V Rod has a fuel cooled fuel pump.
Accordingly, what happens when you get to the e mark on the fuel guage?
I've read that there is still around 4 liters of fuel in the tank, but to go any lower may damage the pump.
As I live in an area where fuel can be hard to get on some rides, any info on fuel range, and the fuel gauge vs actual remaining volume?

Best wishes from Australia.

Ken.

PS, I'm waiting for my work shop manual to arrive still.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ken the farthest I have pushed mine is 120 miles and then it held 3.2 gallons and the gauge had been on empty for a few miles. Any in tank submerged pump uses the fuel to cool and lube the pump any time you run them dry you take a chance of damaging them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dry tank

Thanks Max.
I'll make a point of not getting on empty then!
I was more concerned about running an injected machine dry, but was just fishing for some one to convince me that I still had a decent fuel range left.
I have to work out 120 mile into kms.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ken as far as running injections systems dry they are not like a diesel that must be primed and bled, on a car with electronic fuel injection as soon as they get fuel pressure they start right back up. Thats as long as the pump isn't smoked by then.

Should have come out to around 200 kilometers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'day Max, howa re you?
Thanks for the follow up. Yes, my bike would be returning the same as yours then fuel wise. I always look to fill up at around the 200km mark.
Re the injectors on Petrol driven vehicles. I was treating them the same as Diesel. It's good to know that you don't have to bleed them, but as you say, not worth the risk of frying the pump.
Looks like 200 kms is the "BINGO" point for the Rod.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts