Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

A little background before the question:

Was in KC earlier this month. On the way to Worth HD, my bike threw a code P0131 (front cyl lean condition) Had the tech at Worth check the O2 sensor, it was bad. I replaced the sensor. The bike was fine after that for a day or 2, then I got caught in a heavy downpour, and it started throwing that code again. I called James at Zippers, he said that it might be the auto-tune module, so I pulled it, and shipped it to him. I also put the bike into open-loop mode. I got notified from zippers this morning that the module tests as good.

So, my next option here is that the front cyl is actually going lean. I need to check the fuel pressure on the front cyl. Does anyone know where I can attach a pressure gauge to be able to get such a reading?

Thanks in Advance.

-Bill

·
Banned
55 Posts
Hello Everyone.

A little background before the question:

Was in KC earlier this month. On the way to Worth HD, my bike threw a code P0131 (front cyl lean condition) Had the tech at Worth check the O2 sensor, it was bad. I replaced the sensor. The bike was fine after that for a day or 2, then I got caught in a heavy downpour, and it started throwing that code again. I called James at Zippers, he said that it might be the auto-tune module, so I pulled it, and shipped it to him. I also put the bike into open-loop mode. I got notified from zippers this morning that the module tests as good.

So, my next option here is that the front cyl is actually going lean. I need to check the fuel pressure on the front cyl. Does anyone know where I can attach a pressure gauge to be able to get such a reading?

Thanks in Advance.

-Bill

Man, Im guessing its the TMAX. If you saw my rant I had nothing but trouble, infact I had my rear cylinder get erratic and sweep from 10.3-16.0 AFR. I thought the same thing, changed o2 sensor and it still ran like crap...I got pissed pulled the whole unit out. Put my stock ecm back in, I had my bike dyno'd while at Trask with the SERT then was told the TMAX was better than sex, so I bought it, and had my bike dyno'd with the TMAX as well. Long story even longer...I was checking to see my gas mileage with my v gauge over the last month . Best I got with the auto tune was long hwy rides @ about 56 mph to 60 mph, was 35-36 MPG.

back to the present- when I put my stock ECM back in the first thing I noticed was DAMN! my bike idles nice! Went for a ride...OMFG! the bike was an animal! Honestly, there was no comparison the bikes hesitation was gone and it screams! Yesterday I decided to take a trip out into the Texas countryside (weather right now is beautiful) I decided I would check my mileage....45 MPG!
I was shocked! I have my gas receipts and wrote down my mileage just to manually verify it.
so even thought I paid a grand for the TMAX and like the idea of the autotune I have never had this kind of performance.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Bill, there is no way to really check pressure for each cylinder. What you can do is attach a fuel pressure gauge to the schraeder valve on the right side of the bike. It is to the rear of the coolant hose and above the rear head. This is the main test port for the fuel system.

Another option would be to swap a different injector or swap front and rear and see if the problem follows the injector.

·
Banned
55 Posts
After reading posts about changing fuel pumps and injectors for forced induction, I'm toying with using the Kenne Bell BOOST A PUMP. I have had good luck with in in my cars. I currently have it on my Lotus and my s2000 and on my son Jeffs S2k. His s2000 has 701 hp at the wheels on a TOTALLY stock engine! (2 liter 4 cyl).

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Different things can cause this on the bike if I remeber correctly.

Have you been running real hard on the top end?

Does it just come on when youare going through the gears.

When I had this code. I did the following:
1 check the front coil spring to make sure you have good contact.
2 swap the coil packs see if it follows to the rear(I say it will not)
3 check plug gap
4 change plug... bad or cracked insulator...loose

Was does the plug look like?

How hot are the coilpacks?

The fuel pump could be intermittently losing pressure.

When was the last time you ran cleaner in the bike?
What caused the o2 sensor to go bad...Was it bad?

rod

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know a handful of people have had nothing but problems with the T-max system on their bikes. I have had the opposite. There has never been a hiccup, until this. I sent the auto-tune module to Zippers and they tested it. I got a call back saying that the module tested out fine and asked me questions about the circumstances. They told me it may be the ECM. They have shipped me an ECM and my auto-tune module back to me. They told me that the conditions (heavy/sustained rain) may have allowed water intrusion through the barimetric pressure hole in the one I have. They did this for me for the cost of me sending my AutoTune to them. I'll keep you all updated with the progress of this...

Ken - Thank you for answering the original question. I'll put a gauge on that Tuesday (my next day off)

-Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts