Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max or one of you other Obi-Wans, I've been pouring over the service manual trying to figure out the exact location/fitting of the infamous flange on the fuel module.

Last April, well before the recall, my bike was in the shop for flange associated problems. They diagnosed the problem as being a bad flange in the fuel module and replaced it.

I bought the bike up in Denver and now they have sent me a letter saying -- parts in, come in and get the fix.

Should I leave it alone --- I'm not experiencing any problems. Or is this new flange an improvement and something I should take advantage of.

Max -- I've done the quick check -- no spray.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Michael,

The "flange" as it's called is item #26 and is basically the frame that carries the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender. It's the part they replace. They remove your pump and sender and install it on the new flange.

The recall is because of the fitting I circled. It's press fit on the inside and backs off over time (and vibration). The replacement flanges have a fitting that's brass and doesn't back off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Actually it is one of the pick up lines going into the bottom of the flange

The line has a barbed end that is pressed into the plastic of the flange. Very bad design I might add.

This becomes loose over time. While mine was in the shop I got the letter. I had it changed out and the wreck shop manager showed me exactly what the problem was. Mine was very loose.

I wish I had the camera with me that day and I would have taken a photo.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it. Mr. King, if they send it to me I'm sure I'll be able to figure it outl

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
King,

Thanks for the correction. I knew it was on the pickup side but I couldn't remember if it was the "L" fitting or the pickup line. The mind is a terrible thing to waste ;)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Michael333 said:
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it. Mr. King, if they send it to me I'm sure I'll be able to figure it outl
I was not able to take it home with me. I got all of the parts from my wreck except that part due to the fact it was a recall item.

Funny thing is, they gave me my airbox cover back, without the 100th emblems. Seems you cannot have those back either.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why would you get your airbox cover back without emblems? That doesn't sound right...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Leon said:
Why would you get your airbox cover back without emblems? That doesn't sound right...
They do not allow you to keep the 100th emblems (I got a new set on my new airbox cover).

Go down to your dealer and try and buy a pair, impossible. You have to have a damaged set to turn back in.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Mr King - at least you have an air cover to play with. Paint, air scoops, etc. Make a fiberglass mold??

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have a rear fender, front fender, airbox cover and one radiator shroud. :D

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Mr king,
I went through this getting my emblem replaced (chrome peeled off of 2 letters, so check your carefully). I kept trying to tell them it wasnt that hard to get the emblems... just look on ebay. I have seen new ones going for about $400, $250 for used.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Here is the doc as well

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Max would it be usefull to have a section to include the service and how to manuals, recals and service bulletins' in one place. You will notice that the site I listed is in the UK, you would think that we would have this available to US and Canada.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Michel I have been trying to collect all of the bulletins for the v-rod to put up but time has been my problem so far. It is good of Harley Hog to host all of the information. It would be nice if we could get some one to send me all the current bulletins, I know we have members here that work for HD dealers and have access to all the current bulletins and updates.

Max

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks MAX, one thing I noticed that the Service Bulletin M-1141A is a replacement for M-1141 which has the VIN list of the bikes affected. I sent an e-mail to the web site asking for an electronic copy. When I get it, I will try to attache a Abobe version. As you can see I am new at this site and not to familiar how to post stuff.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
sstuner sent me this side by side photo of the two units this morning that I thought some might like to see.

Thanks Ray

Max

Attachments

·
1,738 Posts
Max or anyone else: I am still trying to figure out why after repair my fuel level sending unit comes on about a quarter tank sooner than previously. (though from my poll I am now closer to what is most commonly experienced). I much preferred it when the warning light came on at 100 miles instead of 65. Is it possible that on re-installation the unit could not sit as low in the tank? Perhaps not threaded all the way on so that the unit does not sit on the bottom of the tank? I would think not, but the dealer cannot offer any reason why the drastic change in my gage reading, and I do not see how replacing a fitting makes any difference. The float and the rod it rides on are the same, and the float moves freely on the rod. All I can come up with is position within the tank as a reason.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Fred I can't really say why the change, what I can say is that what you now describe is how my 02 has worked from day one. And since I have added 3.3 Gallons during a trip one time I think my pump is going all the way to the bottom of the tank. It may be the placement of the sensor on the unit itself. While Jeannie's still has not had the recall done and I have ridden it but can't for the life of me remember when the light comes on with hers but maybe she can post and tell us.

Max

·
1,738 Posts
Max: Thanks for the reply. As my poll on the forum shows the majority of V-Rods have our lights come on at 70-80 miles, some more, and a few (like mine now) less. It is the change that has me perplexed. The Dealer and HD simply tell me things are now normal (which I verified with the poll). I can accept that I now am in the unlucky majority which have our gages come on way too soon. What I am seeking is the answer as to why I now am "normal" after the fix, when I was quite happy and content with the way things were prior. If I can figure out what changed, perhaps I can reverese whatever it is, and get back to not having to stare at the damn light so long.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts