Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm new to all this fuel injection on bikes, but word has it that in order to run a different set of pipes and go topless, a guy needs a fuel management system to put more fuel into the engine, (that makes sense). I want to go topless, k&n, and run some sort of free flowing exhaust, maybe just a Vmod or depending on what I can find, maybe a higher end pipe. The problem I have is I have no idea if I buy a MAP, or PCIII, racetuner, flash, or dynojet, frankly, I don't even know the differences. All I need is something to make my bike run properly when I do these mods, something very simple to install, and that I can't screw up. What exactly do I need to buy? Thanks

·
243 Posts
A Gil's Box sounds like an easy way to go. Call them and they ask your particular VROD setup, he sets it up for you, then all you have to is plug it in. He nailed mine perfectly, runs awesome, noticeable difference. Call 702-655-9341, $219.95 + shipping. 30 min install, no splicing, plug and play.

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
Great sound, nice power, good price!
Might I suggest the following:
1) Drill the pipes yourself. See http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65274 for more info and links to several Threads explaining how.
2) Get an air filter such as K&N or Screaming Eagle. Then install filter and go topless. See http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...hlight=topless
3) DO NOT get the ECM computer remapped from Harley. Leave it stock and then purchase a Power Commander III USB. Shop around online as you can spend from $359 (list) down to about $100 less that that.
4) Install all these and get a map for the PC III see http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthr...5605&highlight . I recommend the following map file: Vmod-kn-topoff-todd.djm
The total cost of this is under $350, great sound, nice power, good price!

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
Harley makes the race fueler,It's something like the gil's box. Easy to install @ tune, got mine at surdykes hd for 180.

·
Bags R For Groceries
1,058 Posts
If I was to change my pipes and not get a fuel manager until later will it hurt my bike or will it just make it run crappy until i get one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
More please!:notworth:

I was fixing to ask the same types of questions. I am a total newbie, and I want to be sure that I do any mods correctly the first time to my 06 night rod.

I've searched through a LOT of threads, and it's been very confusing, so a nice thread that has a comprehensive list is great!

I'll be coming back to this thread for the next couple of weeks and then do said mods!!:lamer: :helpme:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
BurnIt said:
If I was to change my pipes and not get a fuel manager until later will it hurt my bike or will it just make it run crappy until i get one?
It depends on how different from stock your new pipes are. If you do something like drag pipes then yes, you will damage the bike. If you just remove the baffles from the tail pipes then no, you won't do any damage but it will run like crap until you compensate.

For those considering simple external mods like pipes and air filters then the most you really need is a pulse width modulation device. In simple terms that means a Techlusion TFI, H-D Race Fueler or a "Gil's box". These are all based on the same technology and work to simply add fuel to the bike as needed. Power Commanders and Race Tuners are a waste of money for simple, external mods BUT, if you are anal like me and want to "tune" the bike then the only real solution is the Harley Race Tuner. That is a program and interface that allows you to change the program that resides inside the ECM. TO make that work well you will need another device called a TwinScan 2. That is a portable AFR sniffing device that will help you get the Race Tuner map perfect for your combination. It works better than any dyno tune and ends up costing less unless you have unlimited access to a dyno.

For more in depth analysis please read the "How Things Work" thread in this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts