Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm way late to check on this but thanks for the heads up. I found slight damage on one line and plan to repair it this week. Mines a 2003 with 12k. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fueling problem

Jnieto said:
Need some help! This is the closest thread I could find regarding an issue I am having with my 04' V-Rod.

When I run the bike in hot weather (warmer than 90 degrees) and in town riding the bike will act like it is vapor locking. It will idle perfectly, but when you open the throttle it surges like it wants to get up and go, then the fuel flow cuts back to idle. (I look like a teenager learning to drive a stick shift as it lunges every 4-5 seconds).

It happened on my way home Friday so I swung into the dealer. They let it idle in the shade for 15 minutes then took it our for a test ride and could not duplicate the same symptom.

Each time this has happened all I needed to do to remedy the issue is fill the tank. It immediately runs like a new bike. This happens at 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tank levels so I am confident it is not fuel starvation. It is not dirty gas as it runs fine on the same tank of gas in cooler temperatures. The common denominator is the temperature. It is not dirty gas as it runs fine on the same gas when the temps are cooler.

My though here us that maybe the cam cover is heating the fuel lines to a temperature that would compromise the flow of gas???

Anyboy want to take a shot at this??? Ideas? Suggestions??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuelling problem

To Jnieto...I too have just had this problem.The short story is that it was finally traced to a loose connection on the hp side of a fuel line. The "flange" was replaced and a fuel hose connector also and have had no problems since.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
When we looked at mine, with 56K miles, the braid cover was worn through, but no abrasion on the actual fuel line. But tolerances differ between bikes.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
Instead if a new fuel line I put a rubber sheath around the line next to the bolt. Been over a year and I checked it last night and it's still looking good. If not for the forum I would have NEVER even looked when I got the bike.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I looked and did a search on this thread and I don't see the part #'s for both fuel lines.
When I looked the lines up I find 2 #'s 61504-01A & 61505-01A,these both supersede to 1 #,61516-07.Are these the numbers everyone is using for both lines?
BTW,the new lines are $62 each compared to $22 each for the old #'s,and are on BO till mid March.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
... I find 2 #'s 61504-01A & 61505-01A,these both supersede to 1 #,61516-07. ... BTW,the new lines are $62 each compared to $22 each for the old #'s,and are on BO till mid March. ...
61516-07 is a kit with both lines. The other numbers are individual lines. It's still more than twice as expensive so I hope the kit comes with something other than the two lines. Maybe chrome or gold plating.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Nope, no plating. Just two plastic lines. But they do fit a bit better than the originals.:D The lines have different size connectors so you would want to change them both anyway, even though only the pressure side has the rubbing problem.

·
02 V-Rod
2 Posts
Cheers for that , got the wear on fuel lines on my may 2002 V-rod. Def looks like the bolton the coil pack, there rubbing against.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fuel Line Wear On '04 V-Rod & Chicago Harley

Hi All,

I read this thread with great interest over the weekend. (Yeah, I know it's been out there a while.) So, I did the 5 minute inspection with a flashlight and sure enough I found I had problems.

I found 3 places where the protective braid was completely worn through. When I found wear on the bare fuel line, I figured it was time to buy new lines. This is where it gets interesting.

I checked on-line with Chicago Harley and found a price of $49.60 for the 61516-07 kit. I even received confirmation of the order from Chicago Harley via email. Next I received a 'Order in Progress/Checking Stock' email @ 12:25pm.

Then I received an email @ 4:51pm saying that the 61516-07 price had increased from $49.60 to $84.00 and that the order was adjusted accordingly. Not a 'Hey, we screwed up and we're really sorry' or something like that. Next I get an email from my bank showing that Chicago Harley billed me at the new higher price...which is very close to 70% higher.

You would think that Chicago Harley's online pricing would be up-to-date. It's a little tough to believe in this day and age of online purchasing (Best Buy, Circuit City, Amazon, etc.) that Chicago Harley would be so far behind the curve.

It's a hell of a way to run a business.

Regards,

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Now you have to pay the S & H on top.Such a deal from these out of town dealers.
I'd cancel the order and buy it local.

All I can say is thank God Harley offers one of the best after market warranty's I've ever dealt with.I save up 2 or 3 repairs and get the whole ticket covered for $50.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just did mine and did find some wear. Just raising them will put pressure on the top of the lines on the metal support. I would not rely on your fix. Seems you are preventing one problem and creating another. I covered the lines with a split tubing. Then secured it with cable ties. Very very easy fix, and will probably work for the life of the bike. If I had to replace the lines, then I would wrap with cable wrap.
Roger

·
Registered
73 Posts

That's the photo of mine post swap out. The bigger gash was in the return line but had begun wearing into the line so I'm eternally thankful to the members of this great forum.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Checked mine today theres a little wear going to do the fix tomorrow on my 03(made 3-03 17,657 miles)need to go get supplies thanks for the info:D.To all of you that didnt check yet you better.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
I wrapped my lines two years ago after seeing this thread and I checked them the other day and the bolt was rubbing through the covering again. I ended up zip tying them away from the bolt this time and I added a rubber bolt cover on the left rear coil bolt so it would soften it. I thought that was worth mentioning since the problem is the abrasiveness of the bolt.

161 - 180 of 207 Posts