Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the stealership yesterday to chat about the bike that has been in for almost 3 1/3 weeks for it's 10k service and diagnosis of the fuel in the oil. When I got there the service writer said he was trying to straighten out the paperwork, because some of the work was under ESP (extended service plane) some under MFG warrant and some my service.

Confused, I asked what was under MFG warranty. He said the mechanic found a leaking fuel injector, and that is considered an emissions component and covered under the MFG warranty. That would be the bonus.

The ESP will be covering the fuel sender that went bad, and of course I will be covering the 10k service and parts.

I will send the oil in at 12,500 miles to see if this is indeed the final solution.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Greenham that is good news, I guess my only question is that a simple pressure drop test will verify a leaking injector and takes about 5 minutes to run the test. It seems odd that all the times you have mentioned this that your service department didn't do an injector balance test and leak test earlier. The good news is that yes a leaking injector can cause the issure you describe.

Max

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max,

This is a different dealer from the one I have been arguing with from the 1st analysis. This mechanic said he got a consistent leak on the front injector each time is power cycled the system. He said he also did a cylinder leak-down test to verify tight rings/seal.

I am an eternal pessimist when dealing with stealerships, so I guess time will tell. Hopefully this mechanic will prove me wrong. He kept saying that HD tech says 4% isn't excessive. My comment was if it isn't excessive why the leaking injector. Isn't a leaking injector a malfunctioning injector?

I will let everyone know in 2,500 miles if there is any fuel in the oil.

Max said:
Greenham that is good news, I guess my only question is that a simple pressure drop test will verify a leaking injector and takes about 5 minutes to run the test. It seems odd that all the times you have mentioned this that your service department didn't do an injector balance test and leak test earlier. The good news is that yes a leaking injector can cause the issure you describe.

Max

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts