Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a month ago, I filled up and after riding noticed the gauge was stuck in the full position. At about 100 miles on the tripometer, it jumped to almost empty. Next fill up, no problem, the gauge worked as it should.

It then happened again, for the next 3-4 fill ups. Bike was in the dealer last week and they said it was a bad connection and took care of it. Well it was working correctly when I picked up the bike, then I put about 70 miles on it and needed to fill up again.......45 miles later it is still stuck in the full position.

Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this type of problem with the fuel gauge.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ron that seems to be a common problem with the sensor. It also seems to be worse for those that have had the fuel flange done as the sensor must be snaked out of the tank when the flange is removed.

Max

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max,

I did have the flange recall done. That may be it.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
O.K. I know about this one. I personally have done this. When re-connecting the hose to the flange, it is easy for the tech to crimp the clamp in the wrong position. This will interfere with the float. Also when you fill up, the float will get stuck on the clamp. Have your dealer remove the fuel module and re-position the clamp. This should be considered a comeback, and no charge to you. But that is up to the stealer. I have had 3 this week with the same problem. And yes I am guilty of this. Now I understand the fuel guage issues after the recall. Later SKI.

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
Mine does it randomly after I fill up. After about 20 miles it corrects and is fine until the next time. The dealor just says v-rods do that. I have not heard of a correction so will see if anyone else has.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Welcome rti5fs, I have two v-rods and have never had either of mine do what you describe. I would suggest that there is a problem with your sender or the float on the sender.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Mine has only done it once, and that was after I overfilled her to the point I had fuel seeping out on while on the kick stand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My guage used to stay on empty after I filled it up. I would turn the ignition off and on a couple of times and it would read correctly. After I had the flange recall installed at the dealers it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had similar problems with my fuel gauge jumping up and/or down. i have 1700 miles on my 2003 and last weekend it started to do it again. I once had a 1970 TA Challanger with a 440, 4 barrel, 4 speed and when I used to get on it from time to time my gas gauge would act sinilar to what my 2003 V-Rod has been doing. I figured out that my Challanger had a gas tank that didn't have large enough venting tube for when I got on the gas to fast, my 440 motor would swallow the gas and actually created a vacuum in the tank. Because of that my float system didn't operate properly.

Just for kicks, I pulled over on my V-Rod and unlocked the seat and opened the gas cap, than I re-installed the cap, started my bike and the gas gauge actually read correctly. Does anyone out there think that the gas tank ventilation could be an added problem along with the fuel sending unit recall? If anyone else has been having the same gauge problem, please try what I did and let me know if your results were the same as mine.

I also leave my digital display on "RESERVE" and when the fuel gauge starts to act up my reserve drops quickly corresponding in parallel with the fuel gauge. his is actually a FALSE reading almost every time.

Thank you for any future responses.

Douglas E. Brace

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard last week that Texaco and Shell stations, (i believe in LA and TX) had to stop selling gas because they found out the sulfur levels in the gasoline were too high and could damage automobile fuel sending units and made them stay stuck on FULL. I wonder if it could have effected the V-ROD. I hardly ever use those brands, (only because others or more convenient) but interestingly enough, this first happened to me while in LA and I am pretty certain it was right after I filled up at a Texaco.

·
1,738 Posts
Ski; Prior to the fuel flange service I would hit the reserve and the warning light would come on with about 100 miles on the trip odometer. After the service it dropped to 70 miles on the trip odometer and stayed there through the winter. I had the 10,000 mile service done and now the light comes on at about 55 miles, and the gauge seems to jump around somewhat below half full. Sometimes the light will come on for awhile then the gauge will rise above the 3/4 mark and the light go out. My mileage is the same. I am sick of looking at the damn light 55 miles into the tank. The dealer does not know why the change but says its normal for the light to come on at about 70 miles. I posted a poll awhile back and found he is correct. However 55 miles is rare, and I much preferred getting to 100 like I did originally. I used to be able to put 2.8 gallons into the tank when it reached the warning light, not I am on absolute zero and it takes 2.8 gallons.

Do you know what caused this change? Can it be reversed?

Fred

·
Registered
1 Posts
Faulty Fuel Sending Unit

I had the same problem and it only got worse (falling to empty within miles of a fill). The solution was to replace the sending unit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If this is caused by the recall, should i be in a hurry to have the recall done?
A bad fuel reading sounds like a major headache.

·
1,738 Posts
DJLamont: Not as major a headache as having a leak in the sytem and lose fuel pressure. I was lucky. It started about 20 miles from home after a ride around Mt Rainier. It took about 100 miles before the bike was unridable. If it had happened on the Mountian, I would have been major pissed. Have it done. Not all fuel cells react the same I guess. Could be how the unit is reinstalled. Ski, your thoughts?

Fred

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had the fuel flange replaced today. No problems with the fuel gauge.

I agree with V-Fred, I would rather deal with the fuel gauge problem (which has a known cure, read the comments by skirod and e-fred) then have to deal with the problems the recall fixes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel Guage stuck on full

Yup, I have had this problem twice now...always after a fill up. After trying to disassemble the top of the tank and giving up on that...I just beat on the side of the tank - and the float dropped off of what ever it was hung on. Although this doesnt solve the problem that made the float hang - it is a quick fix so that you at least know how much fuel is left. Im just one of those who doesnt want to drop the bike off for service of such a small problem...I'd rather ride. :chair:

·
Registered
131 Posts
SKIROD said:
O.K. I know about this one. I personally have done this. When re-connecting the hose to the flange, it is easy for the tech to crimp the clamp in the wrong position. This will interfere with the float. Also when you fill up, the float will get stuck on the clamp. Have your dealer remove the fuel module and re-position the clamp. This should be considered a comeback, and no charge to you. But that is up to the stealer. I have had 3 this week with the same problem. And yes I am guilty of this. Now I understand the fuel guage issues after the recall. Later SKI.
Hey SKI,
Is it your expereriece that this is a permanant fix? I have the same issue and have an appt. scheduled to have it looked at in 2 weeks. But the dealer is telling me although they have seen several cases they cannot guarantee that they can fix it at this point because they continue to come back with the same issue. This is not a rinky dink dealer either they move a lot of V-Rods. That's not to say they know "jack" about fixing V-RODS.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine temporarily stuck on empty the other day. I have about 3/8 of a tank when I parked it. About an hour later I cranked it and it read empty (and fuel light was on). Now I wasn't sure if it was correct when I turned it off or correct now. I started down the road and it slowly came up until it finally reached the 3/8 mark again. It hasn't done that again, and hopefully it won't.

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
My second fuel sender unit in 23k miles, and it's pretty much useless. My fuel gauge goes up, down, sits still, oscillates, and once in a while reads correctly. :confused: I now rely entirely on my tripmeter to let me know how far I've gone between fillups. At least THAT hasn't gone wonky yet...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts